help with cutting the tang/installing AR stock

I know this is a newb question, but I searched the forum and couldn't find the information... I want to cut the tang, install an internal ACE block and pignose adaptor, an Enidine buffer, and a Vltor club foot AR telescoping stock on my converted S12.

What is involved in this process? Does cutting the tang just mean whacking it off flush with the receiver? And if I do this, does the ACE block fit right in without any other modifications? Thanks for the help!

The tang should be cut off flush with the receiver. Do this with a dremel and an abrasive cut-off disc. Leave it a little long and finish it in with a file. As for the ACE internal receiver block, there is a little trimming to do. Not all AK type Receivers are exactly the same. For this reason you will have to trim the two areas that I have marked in the photo. These two surfaces will occlude with the underside of the rear trunnion. Use a file. File and fit, file and fit... until the ACE part slides all the way in. Don't trim too much because you want the block to butt up against the trunnion. This will help ensure that there will be little to no wiggle in block. It's not hard. Just get a large smooth bastard file. Hope this helps. Shoot me a message if you get stuck or run into problems.

ACE2.jpg

• Like 1
I know this is a newb question, but I searched the forum and couldn't find the information... I want to cut the tang, install an internal ACE block and pignose adaptor, an Enidine buffer, and a Vltor club foot AR telescoping stock on my converted S12.

What is involved in this process? Does cutting the tang just mean whacking it off flush with the receiver? And if I do this, does the ACE block fit right in without any other modifications? Thanks for the help!

If you get the CAA AK 6-POS Stock you don't need to cut anything. I have it on my wife's AK and the thing is SOLID.

CAAAK6PosStock.jpg

Thanks for the detail, jaywalker--that's really helpful.

Lokmeup, I would love to make everything simple by using the CAA, but as NSR500 said, I want to use the Enidine to help in rapid fire controllability with buckshot/slugs. I only wish Enidine made a buffer with a built-in block like the CAA!

This thread has info and pics of the install. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=32256

They recommend trimming the receiver more than just cutting the tang because the stock will be angled up. Is that only an issue with the Tromix stock of will it also angle the AR stock?

I believe that bcelliott is choosing this route because he wants to use an Enidine Buffer. It is an AR type buffer tube that is a hydraulic/pneumatic buffer.

If you have made the decision to go the cutting route, make sure to check out all the adapters ACE makes. There is even a folding option (AKRBC-M4-FSM) that would work with the enidine tube if that is something you are interested in. The EMOD stock may be to thick to allow the stock to fold completely flat though.

As viewed from above:

post-14713-1230174334_thumb.jpg

Here's the link:

http://www.aceltdusa.com/ak_print.htm

Keep us all posted.

Edited by JeffD
  • 10 months later...

If you get the CAA AK 6-POS Stock you don't need to cut anything. I have it on my wife's AK and the thing is SOLID.

CAAAK6PosStock.jpg

does this stock fit saiga 12 and if so does it correct reciever angle??........ pics of it on gun would be sweet!!

you can get it from css as just the tube and put whatever stock you want on it...i have a magpul on mine. It's great and no tang cutting. If you're looking for a folder, you're better off with the ace, but if you want an ar stock this is a strong and much cheaper alternative.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-348/ctr-magpul-saiga-ak47/Detail

this is a picture of the caa "tube" with a magpul stock. You'll notice it has two sling mounting points. The tang is used to mount the stock, it fits inside an indentation in the tube.

How durable is the CAA?...I would like to convert my Saiga with a telescoping stock to replicate my AR for easy transition but am worried about the durability. I also noticed that E-Tac has a AR adapter for the Saiga which seems more durable and a much cleaner look when done but also requires much more work. Any body have experience with the E-Tac adapter or know much about it?...I sent E-Tac an email about the adapter but havnt heard back yet.

The tang should be cut off flush with the receiver. Do this with a dremel and an abrasive cut-off disc. Leave it a little long and finish it in with a file. As for the ACE internal receiver block, there is a little trimming to do. Not all AK type Receivers are exactly the same. For this reason you will have to trim the two areas that I have marked in the photo. These two surfaces will occlude with the underside of the rear trunnion. Use a file. File and fit, file and fit... until the ACE part slides all the way in. Don't trim too much because you want the block to butt up against the trunnion. This will help ensure that there will be little to no wiggle in block. It's not hard. Just get a large smooth bastard file. Hope this helps. Shoot me a message if you get stuck or run into problems.

ACE2.jpg

^ This. +1

you can get it from css as just the tube and put whatever stock you want on it...i have a magpul on mine. It's great and no tang cutting. If you're looking for a folder, you're better off with the ace, but if you want an ar stock this is a strong and much cheaper alternative.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-348/ctr-magpul-saiga-ak47/Detail

this is a picture of the caa "tube" with a magpul stock. You'll notice it has two sling mounting points. The tang is used to mount the stock, it fits inside an indentation in the tube.

thanks k. this looks like a nice set up,any chance of a pic with stock in shortest position? i guess what im trying to figure out is how long (or short rather....) is it when fully collapsed.cant seem to find this info anywhere

Edited by the dude

It doesn't absorb the recoil if that's what you're asking...It's just the tube and the stock. Once set at whatever position it's rock solid like a standard fixed stock.

To be honest though i wouldn't want a recoil reducing stock because i don't want to risk the action short stroking on me.

For the guy who asked about the length of the thing at it's shortest position...the stock will stop slightly past the tang, so about 1" of the tube will be showing. It'll put your cheek right up on the dust cover. Depending on what stock you buy you may be closer or farther away. If you get the Modstock or whatever it's called by vltor it'll be slightly longer than the magpul.