Tromix 8in SBS and my own 11in conversion.

Well here is my beautiful 8in tromix SBS. In time for christmas, thanks tony! This was the best thing under the tree!

IMG_5317.jpg

Here is my own 11in conversion. It runs 100% with the gas ports drilled out to .082 Thats not much larger then the .073 gas ports that were on the standard 18in conversion.

IMG_5321.jpg

They both kick ass but they are flame throwers at night. The 8in sits on my nightstand from now on. :super: I see some door breaching in the future for these two.

Edited by mike123456

Very nice weapons. You did a great job on your conversion. Can you describe makers and models of parts used, especially stocks and forearms?

By the way, I have been reading about some Saiga 12's that seem to have left the factory with only two gas ports. Can you advise me how to see (where to look to find) the gas ports? I want to do a Form 1 SBS build with a trust and might consider doing the work myself if I knew more about enlarging the ports, etc.

Thanks for the help.

eseaton

Well here is my beautiful 8in tromix SBS. In time for christmas, thanks tony! This was the best thing under the tree!

IMG_5317.jpg

Here is my own 11in conversion. It runs 100% with the gas ports drilled out to .082 Thats not much larger then the .073 gas ports that were on the standard 18in conversion.

IMG_5321.jpg

They both kick ass but they are flame throwers at night. The 8in sits on my nightstand from now on. :super: I see some door breaching in the future for these two.

You just unscrew the gas regulator in the front and look inside, you can see the gas ports on top of the barrel. You have to remove the gas block to drill them.

The buffer tube was viltor I believe, I got it a long time ago. The stocks are CTR magpul. The rest of the gun was a tromix 18in conversion that I chopped to 11in.

Edited by mike123456

once in a while I feel the heat on my hand with the 8in. It was enough to make me think "Oh shit" but diden't hurt. I don't think you'll have that with a 10in because my 11 dosen't do it.

I find the 11in is smoother operating, maybe because of the longer piston?

Edited by mike123456
You just unscrew the gas regulator in the front and look inside, you can see the gas ports on top of the barrel. You have to remove the gas block to drill them.

The buffer tube was viltor I believe, I got it a long time ago. The stocks are CTR magpul. The rest of the gun was a tromix 18in conversion that I chopped to 11in.

So are you saying the Viltor tube bolts directly to the frame with or without special adaptors? Then will any AR15 style tube fit and still fold?

Sorry for the "newbie" type questions but I am relatively new to the Saiga 12. I have one and am ready to convert. I want a folder but I especially like the look of yours. Thanks again for the further info.

eseaton

That would explain the 11" SBS stocks but what are the folding stocks on the 8" version?

eseaton

To use the AR stocks (regardless of type), you're going to have to modify your existing rear trunion and use an adapter.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=137

then

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=208

hey gunfixr,

I dont know if you saw them or not but im running two of your gas plugs on these builds. They both work great but needed a hole drilled through it so I can remove them. The 8in got enough crap on it in 3 mags that it coulden't be removed by hand.

Edited by mike123456
Both guns appear in the pics to have the same stock. The difference is that the 8" gun also has an ACE folding mechanism installed, allowing it to side fold as well as telescope in and out.

Thanks Gunfixr for the explanation. Now I know what I am looking for.

eseaton

That would explain the 11" SBS stocks but what are the folding stocks on the 8" version?

eseaton

the stocks/optics were my additions. Its an Ace side folding mech with car stock adaptor. You can order one from ace. The buffer tube, locking ring and plate you can buy anywhere. The stock is a magpul CTR.

I was supose to be going to Iraq I wasent even supose to be here for christmas but I will be headed to afghanistan in a few days which will be fun... I diden't have time to get a 5320.20 done I wanted to take one with.

Edited by mike123456

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

What is the exact name for that pistol grip?

That is the one I want.

I like how there are molded finger grips.

What exactly is this CTR? and what is a wide comb?

Magpul CTR rifle stock. The comb is the ridge on top where you lay your cheek.

If a tromix stock were already installed would it be feasible to switch from a tromix stock to a CTR stock or is that something that must be performed during the SBS conversion process of a gun?