Underfolder conversion without Gunsmith??

the hard part about installing an underfolder is drilling the 2 big holes on each side....

i'm about 99% sure that your 4(2 on each side) rear trunion holes will line up but you'll need a bottom hole on each side....

the uf uses 5 rivits instead of 2...

one long one at the top back and a short one on the front of each side and a short one on the bottom of each side..

and in the middle of those on both sides you need a about half inch hole for the underfolder "hinge"

when i built my polish underfolder i used a long rivit on the top and screws for the other four holes....

• 2 years later...

hey if anyone knows more about the rear block piece in those photos or where one could purchase would greatly appreciate it , just got done with my 7.62x39 conversion and i plan on doing a 5.45 ak-74 one aswell with an underfolding stock and planning to make it a bit more "tacticool" lol thnx

i did my 20 with the romy u/f. 2 really big holes in the side of the reciever. it took 2 months to grow a big enough set to actually drill the holes. once committed the whole project only took 2 hours. imo it just looks cleaner.

2011-05-22_12-40-56_937-1.jpg

in the end i think you will like it better.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

i was wondering if anyone knew where to get one as well^^ see i dont really have a problem drilling it out, but i am not sure what calibur saiga i plan on doing this too and i am already up to my waiste in saiga projects....i would pay good money for that reciever block so i could use an underfolder....

The plastic block is crappola. Get the proper rear trunnion that goes with the stock.I used Yugo's on the wife's S-.410 and bastard build AK. The Yugo stock and rear trunnion are solid. Unfortunatly the side rail has to go for the Yugo's. Some other UF's are notched for the side mount, but it makes them a lot weaker. I have a Romy kit I haven't built yet, the UF won't work with a sight base either.

The biggest concern I'm having is making sure I align the trunnion right.

not as hard as you might think. line everything up on the outside of the receiver, mark and drill.

2011-02-05_14-02-36_538.jpg

2011-02-05_14-02-17_23.jpg

i used a romy folder. my trunnion hole in the receiver were off by half a hole so i welded up the original holes and started new.