Wolf Military Classic: Attracts a magnet...armor piercing?

Hey guys,

I recently found out that my range prohibits armor piercing rounds. I don't believe they prohibit magnetic rounds because of brush conditions in the woods, but perhaps only because they are armor piercing, ?? I'm not exactly sure...

Are the military classic rounds armor piercing?

It would suck to not be able to use this ammo anymore.

-Joe

"Armor piercing" is a bugaboo term that was misused by the antis and now we can't import cheap steel cored ammunition any more. It also serves to confuse folks.

The commies used steel for decades in their ammunition because it was easier to work with than lead, copper and brass. The steel alloys used closely approximated the material they were used in place of.

True armor piercing rounds have a hardened alloy steel core.

Yep the steel jackets are really soft steel... They do make some sparks if you shoot rocks, but you should not be doing that anyway.

If your range is indoors they may be worried that the jackets will damage the steel in their range... And they are right it will, even soft steel is a bit harder than the brass or copper that their range is likely made to be safe with.

If your outdoors then don't worry about it and explain what it is if need be.

Thanks much for the replies guys. I figured that was true. Even though the round has a (brass??) covering to it, it most likely has some magnetic metals mixed in with it, right?

My range is pretty great actually. It is outdoors and is an NRA advocate of NJ.

IMG_1658.jpg

Everyone there is pretty pro-gun. I want to buy an M1 Garand and the best deal on that type of ammo if the Greek surplus stuff which attracts a magnet.

I just think it would be hard to explain the situation to a range officer without them actually cutting open the round. They do have Garand matches there regularly as well, so I suppose they would be a bit sympathetic to my situation.

Thanks guys.

-Joe

Take one bullet pull the warhead off of it, hold it with pliers then get a lighter and melt the lead out you will not find a steel penitrator in it. That is proof positive or take the round and cut it in half with a leatherman, that should prove it.

Steel Ammo can and does start wildfires. A few of the big wildfires we had in California last year were caused by steel bullets. The ranges around here dont allow specifically because of this, they have seen it happen.

Are you referring to steel core or steel jacket ammo?

-Joe

Steel Ammo can and does start wildfires. A few of the big wildfires we had in California last year were caused by steel bullets. The ranges around here dont allow specifically because of this, they have seen it happen.

I shot a steel T-post at the farm with some Wolf out of a Russian SKS and it busted a chunk off, it did start to smolder, luckily it was after harvest and we were also shooting jugs of water, so we put it out right away... so yeah it can happen.

We were also shooting "Great Stuff" foam in a can... now that makes one hell of a mess.. LOL

• 2 weeks later...