S 20 to much for my wife?

The next gun I get is going to be for my wife so she can/will shoot with me. So im asking your guys opinion if the saiga 20 would be too much. Shes not one of those manly woodsy wifes, shes small, like 5'2'' and about 115 lb. Really only likes to shoot my .22s. Ive never shot any thing other than a twelve g and know she wouldnt want to shoot one, so i dont know if i should go with a 410 or 20. My local shop has a 20 for 199.99. Does that seem like a ok price? Should i find a 410? Anyone know where i could find a 410, or is it just the 12s that are getting scarce?

Thanks

Do you plan to hunt with it??? ( have HER hunt with it, with you, I mean) If so... hunt what?? a .410 is not legal to hunt deer with in some states... but would probably be PERFECT for her to use to hunt rabbit or squirrel.

If its just to SHOOT.... then a .410 would be great. virtually ZERO kick out of the saiga .410. you will get just a LITTLE more from the 20 gauge... I am willing to bet the 20 gauge would ALSO be fine for her if you want to hunt deer. the semiauto aspect REALLY reduces a lot of the felt recoil.

SO if she needs a deer gun, go with the 20 gauge.... if not... try the .410.

As far as WHERE to buy.... I would TRULY recommend www.GUNBROKER.com or www.auctionarms.com

I got 2 20 gauges off them... great way to buy guns..

Gilberts guns has a layaway, also...( they are on both sites) and their info is:

Jason Gilbert

Gilbert's Gun Shop

2282 Louisville Rd

Frankfort, Ky 40601

Phone: 502-227-7889

Edyeagerfirearms has CHEAP 410.s on both sites... $199.00 and has a bunch of them in stock.

That should be enough to get you started on your quest! :)

Good luck... let us know what you get, and how she likes it!!!

:smoke:

Thanks for all the info. The only thing shes gonna be hunting is clay pigoens and paper targets. She wouldnt shoot an animal if she was starving in the woods for a week. It sounds like the 410 would be the way to go, although i should probably get a 20 becouse we all know who its really for. Thanks again :smoke:

If you get the 20... then go for an aftermarket buttpad recoil reducer type thing... that will help.. BUT as I mentioned, being a semiauto.. it really wont kick too bad to begin with....not to mention it will be a LOT easier to shoot skeet with a 20 than a .410. I mena you can... and I do... but its not as easy with a .410.. just not the pellet count the 20 will have....

Also... call EAA while they still have 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge mags in stock and order a couple... EASIER to use those for the 2 3/4 inch shells than the 3" mags that come with the 20 new.... the 2 3/4" shells dont feed to great thru the 3" mags.... and thats what the MAJORITY of 20 gauge shells you will see at the stores will be... 2 3/4"

They got them 29 bucks each,

2 for 50, and 3 for 75.

expensive I know... but I know from my 410... you NEED to match the shell size to the mag... or they just dont feed worth a crap...

Some say you can reverse the follower in the 3" 20 gauge mag, but NOT the spring... and it will reliably feed 2 3/4 " shells... but I havent tried it... so...

Enjoy the new 20!!!! I am sure you BOTH will!!!

Edited by IndyArms

I'm really starting to doubt If I will ever see my order from rusmilitary. I may just get a bunch of those from CDNN and do some Frankinmaggin! 30 bucks for a 12 rounder sounds pretty good right now. :zorro:

I JUST saw a .410 for sale on the net someplace for $149.99... DAMNIT I dont recall WHERE....

I was thinking I should buy it myself at that price... but then went to the next page...

It wasnt CDNN... could have been florida gun works... or... I dunno.. I really dont recall..

The auction sites have them always for $199.00

• 1 month later...

This thread hasn't been updated in a bit. But, thought I'd mention that I bought Ed Yeager's last .410. He lives about 5 miles from my house so I opted to get one from him instead of dealing with shipping and all from CDNN or elsewhere that I coudn't drive to. :smoke:

BTW, Ed Yeager's last .410 now looks like this...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=At...pe=post&id=2615

Since this is the 20 thread thought I'd mention that I've got a friend with a a 12 and a 20 and he wants to sell me the 20 with 5 mags for $250. Probably better jump on that I guess!! :super:

One last thing, and I think it's been posted elsewhere on the forum. I just go9t off the phone with CDNN. Was told they No/NONE/ZERO, Saiga rifle or shotguns left. They do have .410 (4rnd), 20 (5rnd) and 762x39 (10rnd) mags left. Just an FYI.

I did the conversion. My first. :) The work on the hand guard was more than I thought it was going to be as there is inbedded metal for the screw that holds it to the rifle. It took a good bit of Dremel cutting/grinding and filing. I had the intention of making it a 'swoop' like the gas block on a standard AK or Saiga rifle has, or to match the little beveled swoop on the Saiga handguard. But, since the shotguns have the big blocky gasblock I think I like the straight angle better anyway.

I'm about to pick up a 20 and a 12 for a song and a dance from a buddy hurting for cash. Both are unfired and the 20 has 6 mags with it!! The 12 only has one. Anyway, now that I've done the .410 and see how easy it is and how much fun it is I can't wait to get started on the next. I'll probably do the 20 first.

Also, how do you get ahold of 'Tantal'? I've seen other reference to him/them.

Edited by AK-treO8