Bersa - Worst firearm I've ever touched

I bought a Bersa Thunder CC in .380acp, and I am glad that I did. I can shoot sub 4" groups at 10 yards and never had any type of malfunction. I was sceptical at first because Bersa isn't well known in the USA, but I spend $310 and would say its my best conceal carry pistol that I own, my other being a S&W 5 round .38 special.

My Bersa CCW has been equally a great gun. I have well over 500 rounds through it, half of which were reloads and it has NEVER choked or refuse to spit! I group inside 6" at 15 yards with it and have plinked plates at 10 & 15 yards with it effectively. A much better shooter than my Keltec.

Yes they are both cheap carry guns, but if you get a good one they are both easily worth the price. My Keltec has about 300 rounds through it and it also has never choked or FTE. Being in the climate I'm in a small gun that doesn't print while wearing shorts, T shirt, and flip flops is nice to have!

there are four bersa 380's in the group I shoot with, all function flawlessly. I like mine but since time is on your side I would recommend waiting just a little longer and picking up a Walther ppk/s interarms, assuming it is as comfortable to you. Currently my two favorite cc's are the ppk/s or the P64 (a bit harsh for some but I like it).

Even Glock has made some lemons in thier time, difficult to get a glock fan to admit it but I have seen several that required work to function properly.

Love mine - its a freakin' tack driver!!

The only thing about them - you need to feed them ammo that has a rounded tip. Winchester white box didn't work in mine, I use blazer aluminum. Blazer brass I'm assuming would work just as well. The bullet design is what causes it to hang up and jam. If you don't use the right ammo, it won't work.

I've never had a FTF or FTE using the correct ammo. Great gun for the price!!

• 3 weeks later...
...One day I'll get a PPK, the first centerfire I ever fired. The first gun I ever fired in competition too. It was good enough. At least it didn't Glock out on me.

I find this amusing and ironic. I've had far more jams from my Walther PPK/S than from my Glock 30 SF, (she's never jammed). The Glock's more accurate too, despite the much larger, (and more effective), caliber. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
I wouldn't mind hearing what anyone else has to say because I'm still thinking of getting one. Our roommate has one and he's pretty happy with his.

They work fine, until they don't. They are cheaply made and not built to last. This is not a firearm that you can depend your life on! I state this only out of concern.

I've had a Bersa 383A for almost (20) TWENTY years AND I love it!

It's extremely accurate even out to 25+ yards. (The only problem I've ever had was from an AM magazine.) I just bought 3 pro-mags and they work flawlessly.

I absolutely trust my life with it!

Both; my wife and I carry it regularly. AND it has saved BOTH she and I on TWO different occasions!

I would not hesitate to buy another Bersa! (I may even do it once 380acp becomes plentiful again.)

Bersa383A.jpg

Edited by tcox4freedom

I believe that you can buy a Bersa and own it for at least 50 YEARS.

I just do not believe that most folks can buy, one and shoot it regularly and expect it to last. Most police departments will not even let an officer carry one as a backup. Most gun shops that have been around for a while will not work on them and if they do will have a box full of them that could not be repaired. I am not trying to hurt any ones feelings, but they are cheap junk and are not good enough to protect someone I love, my friends, or myself.

If your spouse needed needed an artificial heart, would you buy the cheapest one that you could find on eBay that shipped from China? Because their life may depend on this pistol.

MY family deserves the best.

I believe that you can buy a Bersa and own it for at least 50 YEARS.

I just do not believe that most folks can buy, one and shoot it regularly and expect it to last. Most police departments will not even let an officer carry one as a backup. Most gun shops that have been around for a while will not work on them and if they do will have a box full of them that could not be repaired. I am not trying to hurt any ones feelings, but they are cheap junk and are not good enough to protect someone I love, my friends, or myself.

If your spouse needed needed an artificial heart, would you buy the cheapest one that you could find on eBay that shipped from China? Because their life may depend on this pistol.

MY family deserves the best.

My family deserves the very best too!!!

I resent your insinuation it doesn't because my wife and I sometimes carry a Bersa.

I've shot "countless" rounds through mine without ANY gun issues. I've only recently curbed the amount of shooting I do with my Bersa. (There is an ammo shortage afterall.)

As I said (But you ignored); "MY" Bersa has been "REAL WORLD" tested AND "proven" it's ability to protect me and my family on two seperate occasions. I would trust it to save me and my family again.

You are correct on ONE thing. Bersa parts are hard to come by. My grip cracked because of "EXTENSIVE" use! (thus the "slip-on" in the pic) It took me a while to find replacements.

As for a Bersa being junk? There is an old AND very true saying; "Opinions are like a$$holes; some people are one."

My "opinion" is that Glocks are junk and undependable. (I may be wrong.) It's JUST my opinion based on observation and statistics. I've read far MORE stories about Glocks failing than I have Bersas. I have also "Personally" seen dozens more Glocks than Bersas; that have been abandoned or traded for XDs or Taurus 24/7's.

I also personally know "dozens of LEO's in several different PD's that carry a Bersa Bug. So your statement is just another mis-guided "opinion".

Opinions are just that; "OPINIONS".

Edited by tcox4freedom
...Opinions are just that; "OPINIONS".

That is the problem with the Internet, everyone with single example of a cheap pistol, thinks that their experience is as valid as everyone else's! :lol:

I bought my Gal a Glock 23. There are HUGE numbers of Glocks in use by the Military and Police agencies, how many specify the Bersa as their duty firearm? Yet, you believe that your experience with a SINGLE pistol is relevant? Your very statement comparing a Glock to a Bersa marks you as little more then a ranting miserly lunatic with a keyboard and a proclivity for junk guns!

I am a 25 year police veteran with many of those years as a tactical officer; one that has evaluated many firearms for several different law enforcement agencies and specified the firearms to be carried by state officers. I relied on not just my personal experience, but studies done by other law enforcement and the military at great expense in time and money.

You are just a somewhat vulgar and foolish skinflint with an opinion and an admittedly broken junk pistol. Enjoy it, if you feel it is "good enough" for you and your family with my wish of good luck!

I too have bought one of these Bersa's for my wife to carry concealed. I haven't had any problems as of yet, but I am now concerned. I bought it on a whim based on someone elses opinion. I carry the XD .40 subcompact and love it, I only wish I hadn't passed on that second one because I had one. already. My wife likes it fine as well. I think I will let her carry the XD until I can prove the Bersa. Only problem is ammo availability. I really like my XD, but I guess I can pull something else out of the tool chest for awhile. I don't want my wife's life dependent on a problem gun. I would like to see someone start a poll on it though.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a 25 year police veteran with many of those years as a tactical officer; one that has evaluated many firearms for several different law enforcement agencies and specified the firearms to be carried by state officers. I relied on not just my personal experience, but studies done by other law enforcement and the military at great expense in time and money.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the topic. What kind of failures can I expect from my Bersa? I've been considering upgrading to a Sig P239 SAS 9mm.

I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings on this subject. I have met several folks over the years that have made this same statement, "My Bersa has never failed me!" Well that may well be true, but the truth is nothing ever fails, until it does. These pistols are built to meet a certain price point, not durability.

I doubt that you will find many professional gunsmiths that would carry such a low tier pistol for personal defense. As I have said we used to have a box of them at the shop that were broken and not worth repairing, usually springs or extractors.

I would never let my subordinates carry one in LE. I have done a LOT of looking at backups and service pistols as well. I know of no major agencies that allows the carry of the Bersa. This is not to say that someone somewhere does not know some cop who has one and likes it...

Personally, when I look for something for myself or a loved one to carry for personal defense I look for something with an excellent performance record in LE or Military service. I have heard many folks made the claim that they are not a professional, and do not need such a serious firearm! However any day that you need to face criminal aggression to save yourself or family will be as serious as any that a cop or solder has ever faced.

If it is the best thing that you can afford that is one thing, but otherwise, there are some places that you just don't try to save a buck!

I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings on this subject. I have met several folks over the years that have made this same statement, "My Bersa has never failed me!" Well that may well be true, but the truth is nothing ever fails, until it does. These pistols are built to meet a certain price point, not durability.

I doubt that you will find many professional gunsmiths that would carry such a low tier pistol for personal defense. As I have said we used to have a box of them at the shop that were broken and not worth repairing, usually springs or extractors.

I would never let my subordinates carry one in LE. I have done a LOT of looking at backups and service pistols as well. I know of no major agencies that allows the carry of the Bersa. This is not to say that someone somewhere does not know some cop who has one and likes it...

Personally, when I look for something for myself or a loved one to carry for personal defense I look for something with an excellent performance record in LE or Military service. I have heard many folks made the claim that they are not a professional, and do not need such a serious firearm! However any day that you need to face criminal aggression to save yourself or family will be as serious as any that a cop or solder has ever faced.

If it is the best thing that you can afford that is one thing, but otherwise, there are some places that you just don't try to save a buck!

Not hurting my feelings, I wanted the details that formed your opinion, and I wanted to steer the thread back on topic as it seemed to be losing value.

I don't have the money right now to get a Bersa let alone $100 more but with all the guns in this house, I'm not overly concerned at the moment. ...

I know several people who own Hi Points and claim they are a very reliable firearm. Locally I could pick up a brand new 9mm for $149. :bad_smile: Virtually all complaints I've heard are from people who have never had one. That said, I would never have one.

And this is the first and only time I have ever heard a complaint about a Bersa.

Edited by wavetrain75

I looked at and shot three of them, the .380, 9mm, and the .45, and while i wasnt too happy with the overall fit and finish, i saw no problem at all with the function. you can tell just by looking at them they saved a few bucks on the polishing stage of operation, (at least the ones i had in hand, the one tcox posted looks pretty good in the pic) but the price is very reasonable and i didnt seen any potential worry points. If they are prone to breakage, i would assume its something along the lines of poor extractor material or something that you could very well address, and someone likely has. Other than that, i might dress a few sharp edges and keep an eye on any parts for an extended testing period, but then i would be good to go, and wouldnt have a problem carrying it.

Definately a fine pistol, and if it wasnt for the fact that im not a fan of decockers, and i didnt already have my Beretta 8045 i probably would have bought the .45 Bersa instead of the Beretta. The Beretta is much nicer, mostly in fit, polish and finish, mind you, (and without the decocker) but it also cost twice as much, with very little difference in performance. I might have preferred to make up the difference in price with extra ammo. Definately a value at the prices you sometimes see them.

Just my USD$0.02

Wow.

Well let's take a survey, how many professional gunsmiths here carry a Bersa for personal defense ... :unsure:

Sing out so we can all keep count!

Wow.

Well let's take a survey, how many professional gunsmiths here carry a Bersa for personal defense ... :unsure:

Sing out so we can all keep count!

And why is this so important to you? Did Bersa sleep with your girlfriend way back? you seem like a man on a crusade. Or is it that only your opinion counts? Im not discounting your opinion and I think everyone understands how you feel about them, and eventually, you even qualified with good reasons as to why. I just thought that i could sneak my experience and opinion in there as well, in between you repeating yours, to sorta... you know... add to the discussion.

Come on, lighten up. We hear you, you really don't like them. Anything else?

Edited by ReverendFranz
And why is this so important to you? Did Bersa sleep with your girlfriend way back? you seem like a man on a crusade. Or is it that only your opinion counts? Im not discounting your opinion and I think everyone understands how you feel about them, and eventually, you even qualified with good reasons as to why. I just thought that i could sneak my experience and opinion in there as well, in between you repeating yours, to sorta... you know... add to the discussion.

Come on, lighten up. We hear you, you really don't like them. Anything else?

Wait, I thought that you had evaluated several models and it was a great pistol? Just a little sacrifice on the finish you say and it is as good as a SIG or a Glock?

Actually, I just solicited the opinion of professional gunsmiths, it is you that seems like he has a opinion that he wants to protect. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that damn few that have worked on them would carry one. You are just the kind of guy that cruses the Internet looking for someone to contradict, how about "lighten up" with that, specially when you don't know what you are talking about and your silly posing could cost someone their life.

John, how about go back to spraying deodorant in the shoes at the Bowling Alley or whatever it is that you really do for a living.

Edited by Azrial

Haha... funny.

Im sorry that the shop you worked didn't contain the competence or knowlege to change out a disconnector spring, and was forced the throw the entire gun away each and every time. :lolol: I didnt say it was good as a Sig. I said it was a great value. The gun you wont buy because you cant afford it, isnt the best gun for you, in any reasonable version of reality. Alot of bersas are carried by alot of people and they dont have problems, as people have already pointed out in this thread. The most frequent breakage is the disconnector spring and the extractor, as i said, is a problem of material quality control. Both of them tend to fail early if they are going to fail, and at least on the recent imports at a rate of about 1-2%, (per reynerson, who more or less specializes in bersas) and if you would like, I can refer you to gunsmiths who are able to replace them, who wouldnt recomend that you should throw the gun away. Many people however have the pistols for years and never have a problem with them. Fit and finish is obviously not just a function of looks, but how parts wear as well as how smooth their function feels, so id expect (though people have had experience to the contrary) that the bersa would wear faster than say the .380 from sig that looks and functions nearly identically, but the bersa .380 is considerably less expensive, and again, i can refer you to gunsmiths who can perform a decent trigger job for about $50-60, if that aspect is your concern.

The Beretta i referred to that i might have replaced this gun with is not my EDC, but a training tool, occasional backup or car gun, and all around fun gun to shoot. As a comparable .45 compact or subcompact auto with a double action trigger, the Bersa would have preformed just as well in the same role as the Beretta, i have no doubt, other than the concerns i have mentioned, and was considerably less expensive. That makes it a value. I dont presume to tell people what or what not to buy for themselves, but i can relay my own experiences and understandings, and hope that they find it helpful.

Mostly, i wanted to point out that they arent Bryco/Jennings/Jiminez..et als, (which in my experience are not worth it when they are free) and are pretty nice guns for the price. The more you are willing to pay, usually, the better products you can get, and thats still true here, but i, personaly, dont feel that a bersa is a case of "too cheap to be worth it" A poster earlier mentioned that she was struggling to get together the money for even a bersa, and i wouldnt recommend to her that she go unarmed rather than get the gun she can afford. That would be insane for any proponent of armed self defense. If anything, she should buy that gun, take appropriate training, shoot it, and if she doubts it in any way, trade it in towards a gun she would feel happier about. If you know of a similar, but better gun than the bersa, in the same price range, perhaps you could recommend that one to her instead, but just saying that its a peice of excrement and she would be stupid to buy one doesnt seem particularily constructive.

You made a good case in an earlier post on why you wouldnt choose a bersa, and i agree with your last line especially

I dont have any interest in bersa, nor do i own one i feel i have to defend, I was just relating my own rather recent experience and examination.

It didnt seem to me that you were soliciting other opinions, it sounded like you were saying that your opinion was the only one here that counted, that must have been my misunderstanding.

Haha... funny.

Im sorry that the shop you worked didn't contain the competence or knowlege to change out a disconnector spring, and was forced the throw the entire gun away each and every time. :lolol:

I would think that a man of your "experience" would know that parts are difficult to obtain for these pistols, and combined with their low initial cost and poor resale value make them not cost effective to repair. Your friend "reynerson, who more or less specializes in bersas" must have quite a business if these guns are his stock and trade! :lolol:

No hard feelings really, but I never called anyone "stupid" nor the guns any form of excrement, nor did anyone else in this thread. However, lets be honest, you are a 24 year old kid, there is nothing wrong with that, but your "experience" is somewhat limited.

I would think that a man of your "experience" would know that parts are difficult to obtain for these pistols, and combined with their low initial cost and poor resale value make them not cost effective to repair. Your friend "reynerson, who more or less specializes in bersas" must have quite a business if these guns are his stock and trade!

So now the truth comes out, the shop was just expensive. JK. I know what you mean, and Reynerson very may well be a busy man, and more power to him, but if hes the only one, think of how many certified glock armorers there are. :rolleyes: Must be quite the industry, fixing those perfect pistols. Hehe.

Of course theres no hard feelings, I enjoy conversing with you a great deal, and hope you don't mind my occasional friendly jab.

As long as you tell me my experience is lacking in length and not that it is entirely vacant of worth, I will accept that as more than a fair assessment and nothing but the truth. As long as Ive got enough of it to keep me around and kicking that part will take care of itself, and ill stay a happy man.

parts are difficult to obtain for these pistols, and combined with their low initial cost and poor resale value make them not cost effective to repair.

Back on topic again <ahem>. :haha: Bersas do have a lifetime guarantee and there is a U.S. service center. Yes they are cheap guns that you have to send off for repair if you have an issue. Similar to the Saiga.