That concept has been out for awhile, the fact is that locks are only designed to keep honest people honest. If someone wants to get into your place a lock isn't going to stop them. With this crowd, the "bad guy" is going to have a very bad and shortened day if someone happens to be home.

Here's an article on bumping from back in 2005.

http://hackaday.com/2005/08/24/lock-bumping-revisited/

There's a video from the TOOOL conference in the article, it is in WMV format, I posted it to youtube here (seems to be still processing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13RD1FSEtDs

You can get bump proof locks, if you're really paranoid.

http://www.google.com/products?q=bump+proo...=1&ct=title

Edited by vbrtrmn

Guys I worked a lot of burglaries back in the day, and I NEVER worked one where a lock had been picked. Now that this stupid bump key has been on U tube and every where else, teaching the unwashed how it is done, we are starting to see some of it.

I can usually pick a Quickest in under 1 minute.

A solid metal door frame, burglar bars, a non-Quickset locks, will do a lot to make you secure. If you are worried about being bumped, switch over to the Quickset Titan, a six pin, and far more bump resistent, for very little money. It will replace the standard 5 pin that is most likely on the front of your home...

I sell doors and windows for a living. I cater to the Richmond,VA market. I am very familiar with break ins and having to get doors replaced. In my experience {10 years} I have concluded what most expect and that criminals are stupid as hell. They try to kick or pry your door open. When that doesn't work they break or pry open a window. I have only seen one instance of a smarter minded theif...After selling at least 10 new glass inserts for patiodoors to the same customer over a month period I asked him why he needed so many. His reply was that someone kept breaking into the apartment complex he owned. They were using a portable dremel or cutoff tool to cut the plastic inserts of the door glass and then just pushed the insert inside onto the carpet were it didn't make a sound. A few customer's have asked if they should worry about what locks they use and I simply tell them if someone wants to get in they will. I believe most major name brands, Kwikset etc are now "bump proof". If you're really worried about break in through a window I recommend casements with multipoint locks and Laminated hurricane glass. Most doors even the cheap ones now use steel plates on the back of the jamb to reinforce the jamb from break in. There is even a new product you can apply after market called Door Jamb Armor that works great! Now once you've invested all this money in your new windows and doors to keep out the criminal. He'll just drive his van up to your house and cut a hole into the side of it to take what they want. So just bulldoze your house and rebuild with ICF concrete forms and make sure to fill your moat with Piranha and Crocodiles. Or just move the heck out of the ghetto. :haha:

Edited by obake

my personal favorite was witnessing someone with electronic locks testing a tennis ball smacking trick on their 40k$ mercedes (which worked)./

it aint safe unless you gotta take a jackhammer or explosives to it....which im sure is common noise in cities and all, not like I would know....

home evasions are on the rise, so I wouldn't be surprised this bump key spread over the internet makes that worse, i'd just get a high security lock like from Abloy Protec which is a entirely different type of locking mech. more like a bank vault type system.

speaking of break-ins on the rise, my neighbor owns a lock picking co. and recently had his work truck broke into and robbed of all the lock picking gear. i gotta say thats a helluva move there for a criminal, but for their sake they better not try bustin in my place or its 00 for breakfast lmao!!

Lock picking gear still needs skill to be used, someone who "broke into" a van probably don't have that skill; they do have a lot of equipment which will get them arrested if they try to sell it to a pawn shop or something. The only reason you'd want to pick a lock or bump a lock is to enter the house without the owner knowing; home invasion and general B&E people don't care about not making a mess. If you're worried about your house being broken into either follow obake's suggestion of moving out of the ghetto or get a security system or never leave the house.

I've been involved in one way or another with public safety for several years now and I've never seen a single instance of a private residence getting it's door lock picked. Every day however I see examples of burglars simply breaking windows. It doesn't matter if the neighbors are home or not. Hardly anyone ever calls 911 to report breaking glass. Heck, they could take a chainsaw to the side of the house and I doubt many people would call 911, except maybe to report a noise ordinance violation.