Any idea of the total estimated Rads you got during the tour?

I'm betting less than you'd get from a single chest X-ray in the states. I've had no less than 4 of those in under 3 months time. :o

He got WAY more than you.

Even with four chest x-rays inside three months (Which is actually not very much compared to some people.) your exposure is lower. Yours was also spread out over three months allowing your tissues time to recover wheras the tourist recieved his in a shorter timespan. (I wonder how long they were in the area?) The type, or quality, of the radiation is a big factor also. I'm certain whatever kind of nasty alpha/beta/gamma emitters he was around were much more harmful than the relatively "clean" rays produced by a diagnostic radiographic unit.

Amazing Photos, but it is sad we talk about Video games....

BUT

I have new respect for the creators of Call Of Duty 4, those pics show just how SCARY accurate those maps/levels are....

Edited by Bean.223
  • 3 months later...

This is the first I've seen of this. I realize that it is an old thread, but please check out the Documentary on google video called The Battle for Chernobyl. It is about 1 1/2 hours long , but the best time you will have ever invested in your life. They document from the first "test" to the aftermath, and have videos of everything to show as it is happening. It is WAY MORE scare6y than any hollywood bull shit. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5384001427276447319 There are so many jaw dropping moments it is unbeleivable.

This is the first I've seen of this. I realize that it is an old thread, but please check out the Documentary on google video called The Battle for Chernobyl. It is about 1 1/2 hours long , but the best time you will have ever invested in your life. They document from the first "test" to the aftermath, and have videos of everything to show as it is happening. It is WAY MORE scarey than any hollywood bull shit. I'm sorry I can't post a link to this movie for some reason But if you will google "the true battle of chernobyl uncensored" it will come up. We came within inches of loosing all of Europe. This documentary follows the first mistakes with all the attempts to stop the meltdown, with graphic on the scene videos. It even shows Gorbachev not being notified until like 3 days after the accident. I tried various ways to get a link, but they all came up short, except for the google search. It is worth your time. It reminds me of what our country would pull, once they get the 1st Amendment taken away. The Russians seem no different from us, just the shithead leaders.

Any idea of the total estimated Rads you got during the tour?

I'm betting less than you'd get from a single chest X-ray in the states. I've had no less than 4 of those in under 3 months time. :o

He got WAY more than you.

Even with four chest x-rays inside three months (Which is actually not very much compared to some people.) your exposure is lower. Yours was also spread out over three months allowing your tissues time to recover wheras the tourist recieved his in a shorter timespan. (I wonder how long they were in the area?) The type, or quality, of the radiation is a big factor also. I'm certain whatever kind of nasty alpha/beta/gamma emitters he was around were much more harmful than the relatively "clean" rays produced by a diagnostic radiographic unit.

Mostly alpha and beta, which are both stopped by your skin. The problem with that type of radiation is when its ingested e.g the Po-210 poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko_poisoning

The major problem post Chernobyl or reactor accidents with a non-contained release is the Iodine. It stays in the soil waiting to be taken up by a biologic. It wreaks havoc on the thyroid and bone marrow.

This is the first I've seen of this. I realize that it is an old thread, but please check out the Documentary on google video called The Battle for Chernobyl. It is about 1 1/2 hours long , but the best time you will have ever invested in your life. They document from the first "test" to the aftermath, and have videos of everything to show as it is happening. It is WAY MORE scarey than any hollywood bull shit. I'm sorry I can't post a link to this movie for some reason But if you will google "the true battle of chernobyl uncensored" it will come up. We came within inches of loosing all of Europe. This documentary follows the first mistakes with all the attempts to stop the meltdown, with graphic on the scene videos. It even shows Gorbachev not being notified until like 3 days after the accident. I tried various ways to get a link, but they all came up short, except for the google search. It is worth your time. It reminds me of what our country would pull, once they get the 1st Amendment taken away. The Russians seem no different from us, just the shithead leaders.

If someone can find a link for the Google video "The Battle For Chernobyl uncensored" please post it here for future reference. Every time I entered the link manually, it said it didn't exist. But when I did a google search, it came right up. I got the link from one of the chat groups associated with this original thread. It would just make everyones life easier. Thanks.

Wow very intresting.

I'm a firefighter here in Tampa and had heard a story a couple of times around the station that the firemen who went in that day knew that they weren't coming out and went anyway.

It's kind of upsetting to here that that was not the case, and they were'nt made aware of what the dangers were.

I think I'll keep that little truth to myself though.

Many accounts say that they put out the fire and saved the other three reactors. I'd like to think that they would have done it anyway. they probably saved alot more people.

Wow very intresting.

I'm a firefighter here in Tampa and had heard a story a couple of times around the station that the firemen who went in that day knew that they weren't coming out and went anyway.

It's kind of upsetting to here that that was not the case, and they were'nt made aware of what the dangers were.

Many accounts say that they put out the fire and saved the other three reactors. I'd like to think that they would have done it anyway. they probably saved alot more people.

You thought that the Russian government would give somebody a choice as to die or not? They have a history of sending people to their deaths. 20 million in one war, for instance.

The video I was referring to showed them putting thin sheets of lead on with shoestring tye material around their head/chest/crotch area and telling them they had from 40 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes tops to remove debris while stumbling over all kinds of shit. They even had a shot of a helicopter pilot dying and going down while he was circling the reactor. They put the sandbags down and it increased the tempurature of the core where they thought another explosion (the one that would have wiped out Europe) would occur. All this time they didn't evacuate the town or let Gorbechev (they show him interviewed) know what was really going on. This documentery is in real time and shows all of the video of the up close places where it was happening. The soldiers told to go in, the soldiers in the hospital for burns/wounds to their bone, the horrified look in their eyes, them getting a certificate telling how brave they were along with a $100 dollar Ruble reward for their actions, how the Russians and the West knew of the terrible danger but did not release any info for 20 years. It is a shocker. It is the real deal, no shit. No holds barred. not somme tv made for shit. Please if anyone knows how to post the link, do so. Google "The Battle For Chernobyl uncensored" Every time I tried to post it it came up not existing, but it still came up every time I manually entered it. The very first firefighter responders did not have a clue what they were up against and lost their lives ASAP. A very VERY riviting and sobering video.

Wow very intresting.

You thought that the Russian government would give somebody a choice as to die or not? They have a history of sending people to their deaths. 20 million in one war, for instance.

You could tell from the looks in their eyes that they knew they were going to die. It wasn't just for them though, almost the entire continent of Euorope was on the line. This was WAY bigger than USSR or USA let on (and they were working feverishly hand in hand on putting it out). Watch the vid.