Thanks to Everybody!

After six months of research, waiting, and hard work my conversion is finally done. I want to thank everybody who contributes to this forum for the wealth of knowledge you have all so freely passed on. I was able to do everything just by using the search button, never had to ask a question ... in fact this is my first post!

Here she is:

post-9449-1238483680_thumb.jpg

post-9449-1238484469_thumb.jpg

post-9449-1238484682_thumb.jpg

Mods:

• Gunfixers Gas Plug
  • CAA AG47 Grip
  • Tapco G2 Trigger Group
  • JT Engineering Hammer Spring
  • Krebs Retaining Clip
  • ACE Internal Receiver Block
  • ACE Folding Mechanism
  • ACE SOCOM Stock
  • MD-20
  • Finish is Moly Resin Stainless Steel
  • Trigger guard is reworked and welded original

Here are a few of the other family members, yeah I have a thing for two-tone. :rolleyes:

post-9449-1238483946_thumb.jpg

A buddy of mine has had one of these for years but I was never that interested in buying one because of the five round magazines, then I heard about Mike's drum. Thanks man, now I'm hooked just like everybody else. :eek:

Hopefully finances will improve and I can continue the mods and eventually buy that 8" Tromix. Not to mention make a larger donation to this forum than what I was able to do.

Edited by jiggahertz

Welcome! :beer:

It's really refreshing to see a first post from someone (that decided to be a contributor too) with everthing already done. It's understandable that sometimes when folks get started in something new, they have questions, but instead of making a new thread to ask "what's 922 about?" or "how do I convert this?" or "what mag is best?", you sought out the answer within the forum and educated yourself so you were able to do what appears to be a great job on the conversion (I'm assuming it's your first). Bravo!

Corbin

After six months of research, waiting, and hard work my conversion is finally done. I want to thank everybody who contributes to this forum for the wealth of knowledge you have all so freely passed on. I was able to do everything just by using the search button, never had to ask a question ... in fact this is my first post!

Wow, first post and your rolling in with this? bravo. The stainless is definitly different, and overall i like the effect.

Also thanks for being a contributor, now go tease surly.

Yup this is my first conversion, definitely learned a lot to help with the next conversion. :smoke:

It is nice to have a forum where there is so much information at your fingertips, I think just about every topic has been covered if you do enough searching. I did have a real pain with the BHO spring and the Krebs retaining clip. I ended up looping a string around the leg of the spring while the BHO was up to install the safety lever. Once the lever and BHO were in place I just carefully lifted the string to pull the spring onto the BHO. Worked great three times, now it is a breeze installing the internals.

One thing I have to say is I really liked the Moly Resin finish. I put Duracoat on my AR and my Ruger 10/22 and it was a royal pain in the arse! The mixing and the drying seems like a real hassle after using Moly Resin. This stuff goes on like a dream, no runs, nice even finish and it is ready to rock and roll in an hour. Not to mention the price is a fraction of the Duracoat. Oh, and it turns out a 19" Saiga fits easily into any standard size oven (with tang removed)!

As for the SOCOM stock, ACE says it is not intended for the recoil of the 12 gauge. I talked to them about it and it is because of the telescoping mechanism. When it is extended it may not be strong enough. When it is fully retracted though it bottoms out and all the pressure isn't on the mechanism. I will just remember not to shoot high brass with the stock extended all the way. I originally had this on my AR and bought the lightweight for my Saiga. I quickly realized the meat tenderizer is much more suited for the saiga and the lightweight for the AR. :devil:

I'm taking her out this Saturday, we have a special day planned. We'll start off with a few soda cans, then maybe some bowling pins and then we'll work up to this VCR that's been givin' me dirty looks. :killer: Hopefully it will stop raining for a minute, damn Pacific Northwest weather!

Edited by jiggahertz

I can't find any way to make it clear the drum, it folds up against the drum. The cool thing is that the ACE mechanism stays in place, the design puts enough pressure on it to keep it there. It's a little wide but it's better than nothing.

There's really not a folding stock that can clear the drum, except for the shorty ACE with an external block, like Cobra has. I don't know of any others. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to make the SOCOM stock where the tube section would be able to spin 180 degrees so that the shoulder piece would be upside down and probably clear the drum when folded. Obviously, it would have to be able to move back to the normal position when unfolded.

Corbin