ABC Special to Dismiss Idea of Using Guns for Self Defense? I can't totally understand where they are going with this from the web article. Might be interesting to watch this tonight. Forgot the link sorry here it is; http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitloc...ns-self-defense The comments listed under the article are very interesting.

Edited by wayneb

I am not quite sure I understand the point of this particular 20/20 program, which spent most of its running time proving that if a police firearms instructor gets in a shootout with a person with little shooting skill, that the police firearms instructor will virtually always win, while conveniently never bringing up the fact that the typical spree murderer doesn't have any more shooting skill than any of the six college students they had in their study. Anyway, I heard next week's 20/20 show is another in their continuing 'Rigged Studies' series, and is titled 'If only I had known how to do a rear naked choke'. The centerpiece of this program is a hidden camera study in which six college students with entry-level martial arts training are each put in a classroom attack scenerio, during which, at a random moment during the professor's lecture, Randy Couture suddenly kicks in the classroom door and begins one by one to systematically choke out everyone in the classroom, including the student with the entry-level martial arts training. This 20/20 program will prove decisively that a person should never try to use martial arts as a means of self-defense, because they still wouldn't be able to stop themselves from being choked out by Randy Couture.

Edited by Frogfoot
I am not quite sure I understand the point of this particular 20/20 program, which spent most of its running time proving that if a police firearms instructor gets in a shootout with a person with little shooting skill, that the police firearms instructor will virtually always win, while conveniently never bringing up the fact that the typical spree murderer doesn't have any more shooting skill than any of the six college students they had in their study. Anyway, I heard next week's 20/20 show is another in their continuing 'Rigged Studies' series, and is titled 'If only I had known how to do a rear naked choke'. The centerpiece of this program is a hidden camera study in which six college students with entry-level martial arts training are each put in a classroom attack scenerio, during which, at a random moment during the professor's lecture, Randy Couture suddenly kicks in the classroom door and begins one by one to systematically choke out everyone in the classroom, including the student with the entry-level martial arts training. This 20/20 program will prove decisively that a person should never try to use martial arts as a means of self-defense, because they still wouldn't be able to stop themselves from being choked out by Randy Couture.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I would have liked to of seen the Police firearms instructor sitting front and center of the class, with no prior warning, have one of the students walk into the room and target them immediately after the teacher.

Edited to add, If you think this is the only story they produced that is this one sided, I have bad news for you.

Edited by Moe Zambeak

I found 2 parts of it on Youtube, about 14 mins. of it. The show is downright idiotic. I had a good laugh. Basically they give a bunch of random college kids with no firearms experience at all (oh wait, one of them has ~100 hours "shooting a pellet gun known as an air soft gun") a glock with simunition and put them into a college shooting scenario with a highly trained police officer simulating the gunman (not another newbie to make it a fair experiment) and no shit they fumble. Then they say that happens with anyone and everyone, except for police of course.

Edited by saigafun12345

After re-watching this-

The second student, Danielle, was a complete novice. She was wearing the over sized shirt. She was wearing the gloves. She was told that the gun was for a later scenario. She does not practice shooting of any kind. She was trained to fire from a standing Weaver stance that day (for the first time ever).

She hit a Police Fire Arms Instructor in the leg disabling him. He knew where she was going to be sitting. He had rehearsed the scenario WITH OTHER STUDENTS AT THE VERY LEAST. He was able to shoot her but we don't know who got hit first.

Too bad people won't take all of these factors into consideration.

I made a gif that asks why the shooter moves from shooting the teacher, and immediately goes to the student next. Even passing up a large target directly in front of him. During the transition from the Teacher to the student, the LEO jumping TOWARDS the shooter is BROAD SIDE!!! And the shooter still avoids engaging the target! As you see in the last frame, he has to practically AVOID shooting the other LEO in the head when he runs in front of the shooter. This whole thing was rigged so bad. They need to seriously air a rebuttal.

ABCloop.gif

Honestly, I would have thrown a bag ass chair while he was pointing the pistol at the others... and keep throwing chairs...

I know, big words, but if I was going to end up with a 3rd nostril, I'd make sure the shooter had a helluva time trying...

To balance things out, the producers should have interviewed Dr. Suzanna Hupp. This video still upsets just watching it. Remember this was before Texas passed the conceal carry law. This was also how George Bush was elected Governor of Texas by agreeing to pass handgun carry.

Yes If She Only Had A Gun in 1991:

Current:

Yakdung

The only valid points in the program were:

If you surprise someone by shooting at them when they are unprepared, you have the tactical advantage (no shit sherlock)

and

If you dont practice shooting often, you lose the skill (another no brainer)

The rest was pretty much trying to get the public ready for the upcoming gun bans we will see in the next few months and make them feel good about it. Man I hope most people can read through that bs.