Higher velocity vs. heavier payload

Shot payload  

20 members have voted

1. 1. heavier, or faster

• less buck,more speed
    • more payload, less speed
    • both, neither, and/or

I load my own self defense rounds one at a time, and take care to stay legal with them....

I am curious, who chooses what, though -

Do you like a heavier round out of your shotgun, or a faster round out of your shotgun? or perhaps the middle of that range?

I load my own self defense rounds one at a time, and take care to stay legal with them....

I am curious, who chooses what, though -

Do you like a heavier round out of your shotgun, or a faster round out of your shotgun? or perhaps the middle of that range?

3" Magnum #4 Buck because it is the heaviest but I like them hot.It has real punch and puts a lot of lead on the target.there isn't really any hydrostatic shock from a shotgun and at the ranges a shotgun is effective anything above 950fps is going to penetrate as well as 1200fps but the heavier load puts more lead in the badguy.I want to see daylight if some jackass makes it inside the wire in my AO ;)

I say screw the buffer. commercial rounds have a buffer made to improve accuracy, and at 25 yards you don't need it. screw the 9 round buck pack 15 00 in there and pound that poor fuck and leave his poor family to mourn. too close are the chances that the adrenaline would take him and he would do something stupid to the both of you if caught and not shot.

Bvamp you know how NY law is, better a body than a living person to sue you.

Edited by Nailbomb

How do you load a 12 guage round that is illegal? :unsure:

I am getting ready to load some single 0 now!

I load using hodgon powder long shot in order to get the higher velocity it must be loaded heavy. Of coarse these were trap loads so everything is some what subjective. Higher velocity loads will also cause wider patterns. If I remember corectly this is due to pellet deformation .

Hope this helps a little.

scarey - Actually, I am wondering if people prefer a 15 or 18 pellet 00buck load as opposed to a faster flying (hot) 9 pellet, or even a six pellet with an even faster powder. I dont want to go into exactly what im doing, because i dont want someone to interpret what i do as something that is ok for them to do. I am leaving something out, in other words. I essentially work at Cadiz Gun Works, and it would be a liability, which I cannot have. There is a limit on the 12 gauge cartridge, as well as the saiga 12, and Im pushing that limit a bit, but know full well what I am doing. I hope anyone reading this understands what Im saying here.

Azrial - well, since moving to the great southern state of florida, i cannot use (or possess) flechette, bolo, or magnesium based rounds. I didnt have that problem in NY. Its too bad, I had a damn good flechette round I worked up. it made for one sorry assed turkey, I tell ya. Hell, I am not supposed to discharge a firearm in this county for target practice unless on XX acres of land, or a public shooting range. I thought that was quite annoying when I read that. In fairness, I CAN shoot someone THROUGH the front door in some circumstances and sleep in my own bed that night.

scarey - Actually, I am wondering if people prefer a 15 or 18 pellet 00buck load as opposed to a faster flying (hot) 9 pellet, or even a six pellet with an even faster powder. I dont want to go into exactly what im doing, because i dont want someone to interpret what i do as something that is ok for them to do. I am leaving something out, in other words. I essentially work at Cadiz Gun Works, and it would be a liability, which I cannot have. There is a limit on the 12 gauge cartridge, as well as the saiga 12, and Im pushing that limit a bit, but know full well what I am doing. I hope anyone reading this understands what Im saying here.

Azrial - well, since moving to the great southern state of florida, i cannot use (or possess) flechette, bolo, or magnesium based rounds. I didnt have that problem in NY. Its too bad, I had a damn good flechette round I worked up. it made for one sorry assed turkey, I tell ya. Hell, I am not supposed to discharge a firearm in this county for target practice unless on XX acres of land, or a public shooting range. I thought that was quite annoying when I read that. In fairness, I CAN shoot someone THROUGH the front door in some circumstances and sleep in my own bed that night.

Older Saigas have heavy mandrel/hammer forged barrels so if you work out the gas ports and the recoil spring right you should be able to run a hotter load than most shotguns can withstand.

Think HK CAWS with brass or steel cases and tungsten ball bearings that won't deform and lose velocity

Well, over the distances a personal defense round in a shotgun will most likely be shot, im not really worried about losing velocity, but it is an issue of lack of weight and shot bounce (ever shot a steel bb at a rock or block wall?) when considering steel bearings.

I am noting the 0% response to the faster flying fewer ball round I suggested.

Appreciate the thoughts. Thanks

I like more pellets.

By the way, I'd sure be interested in a good loading for using .30-.32cal tungsten.

This + 15-18 pellets in Magtech brass shells.

Or maybe a big cast slug crimped to a trimmed 2 1/2" Magtech shell for an OAL of 3".

Personally I'll take a lighter load, with a tight pattern and faster recovery. At any of the ranges used for self defense, even reduced recoil 00 buck is going to get plenty of penetration. Why drive it faster? More lead? That's an interesting idea but I'd rather be able to take the follow up faster if required for multiple targets or if I miss. I want a number of holes in roughly the same location. Double Taps are good, octuple taps are better...

• 3 weeks later...
I like more pellets.

By the way, I'd sure be interested in a good loading for using .30-.32cal tungsten.

This + 15-18 pellets in Magtech brass shells.

Or maybe a big cast slug crimped to a trimmed 2 1/2" Magtech shell for an OAL of 3".

Isn't their a company that does load developement for a fee? I can't remember who it is.

You mean like a big ass pistol round that you can shove into a shotgun? Something ridiculous like that?

You mean like a big ass pistol round that you can shove into a shotgun? Something ridiculous like that?

Now that's sounding mlike some of the stuff that Tromix has cooked up. Like the pile driver and the tremor rounds

Dixie Tri-Ball is my HD load for the 12ga. That load consists of three 60 caliber lead balls with a total combined weight of upwards of 2oz. comming out the short (18-1/2") at about 1,000-fps. Like someone shooting the perv. with three low recoil slug rounds every time you pull the trigger. Ten round clip means thirty marble size chunks of lead if I empty the clip.

• 2 weeks later...

See, i'd like to see a HUGE payload delivered at 800 FPS. (230gr .45ACP is 850 FPS so don't say "This is too slow, blah blah blah")... maybe 2 1/2 oz of lead... Yah... Nice.

Keep it sub-sonic, your ears will thank you.... plus, is Tony still offering the Saiga suppressor? :lolol:

• 5 months later...