A Saiga 7.62 for my wife

Went to the range on Monday with my wife a few of our rifles, anyway...in 7.62 caliber I brought my SKS and two Saiga's one has been converted and one that has not (the un-converted one is my wifes...she likes it, say's trigger is in the right place for her (never argue with a women especially if she can shoot)).

In shooting all three guns we both agreed the felt recoil on the SKS is considerably less than the Saiga's, she now wants me to reduce the recoil on "her" Saiga.

Differences:

SKS has a SKS Yugoslavian muzzle brake.

Both Saiga's have Phantom Muzzle Brakes.

Her Saiga has a Tapco T-6 collapsible stock with rubber pad and pistol grip.

What they have in common is:

All have BlackJack Buffers installed and all have composite stocks.

I just ordered a J-Tac brake, I know that will help...but is there anything additional that can be done that would make a further reduction in her Saiga's recoil ?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

well there is always the black jack style buffer....

may reduce felt recoil.... but it may make the weapon jam as well....

you pretty much got your bases covered....

I've tried to get my girlfriend to shoulder some of my rifles, and she complains they are too heavy. I think the recoil difference between the SKS and Saiga is the weight, so if you could add some dead weight to the saiga you could reduce the recoil a bit. Either in the compartment of the pistol grip if you have one, or in the buffer tube of the stock/both. a mercury recoil reducing tube like used for shotguns would work, but then so would lead sinkers, sand, etc anything. You might want to try removing the recoil buffer, in some instances they work, like when using an S-12 on the wrong setting; but generaly they are not needed and may be causing the bolt to "bottom out" against the rear trunion needlessly.

An exercise in futility.

Comparing an SKS to an AK is like comparing a Wankel rotary engine to a Chevy V-8.

Both have different action types, and this is one reason for the difference in felt recoil.

Another reason is that the SKS weighs more. Physics at work here.

Buffers won't do anything, I'm sorry to say (except cost you money).

My advice:

1) add weight to the butt stock or forearm (lead strips up front, lead shot in the butt stock)

2) chunk the Tapco rubber butt pad and find a GP-25 "grenade launcher" butt pad (or replica thereov) or some other "recoil reducing" butt pad.

3) chunk the Tapco stock and install a solid wood butt stock (in her size) with appropriate recoil reducing butt pad.

optional) Take her to the range with a factory 12ga for the day. After that, she'll not complain any more about the 7.62x39 recoil.

Edited by nalioth

My wife loves her AKs and has taken numerous carbine classes with them. Here are my thoughts:

* The recoil buffer will eventually prove to be more trouble than its worth, and IMO does nothing for recoil.

* The j-tac is a great choice for muzzle control and recoil reduction, and does not add much weight forward. Good choice! The phantom is more flash hider than muzzle brake anyway.

* Proper shooting form will tame felt recoil more than any muzzle devise or gimmic on the market. Many women, my wife included, have trouble keeping / bringing the stock properly into the pocket of the shoulder due to body types (big boobs really get in the way!). This tends to drive the toe of the stock into them sharply and cause bruising. A slip-on recoil pad is not a bad idea (get the limbsaver one), or use a padded stock like an Ace. Also, a more squared firing stance vs the traditional rifleman's bladed stance will let the rifle butt cover more surface area of the shoulder, and reduce felt recoil. And teach her to lean slightly forward while shooting. A novice is easy to spot on the range, they are the ones with the "backwards lean" while shooting and the targets with no bullet holes. Cheek weld is also a necessary aspect of rifle control and keeps the rifle securely in the pocket of the shoulder to minimize movement.

* Teach her trigger control techniques like breathing, "surprise break", and "timed fire". This will clear her mind of the expectation of recoil, which of course, compounds recoil.

* I find in many cases that ladies are right handed, but left eye dominant. If this is the case with her, the offset commie red-dots are a godsend.

Get her a .223

A recoil pad might help but other than that there isn't any way to significantly mitigate recoil without adding weight (which defeats the purpose for small shooters). I ended up building my wife an AR which she loves.

I used an AMD-65 14mm L brake on my Saiga after my shoulder surgery. Worked really well! Do you have it threaded 14mm L yet? If you do, I could send you the AMD65 brake and crush washer I took off mine and you could try it.