Pulled over for carrying

Well I was leaned over talking to a neighbor today when the police drove thru our housing addition and noticed my Glock peeking out of my shirt, they waited up the road and when I left they pulled me over. In addition to my sidearm I happened to have my orange Saiga in the back seet. One officer acted rather upset that I was trying to "disguise it as a toy", the other thought it was cool like a "Harley shotgun". One ran my numbers while the other shot the shit with me. They gave back my guns told me my back window was too dark :ph34r: and sent me on my way. Just thought Id share the "official reviews".

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

serial numbers I guess?

A court somewhere found that activity was an "illegal search".

"Run the numbers" = drivers license number, vehicle registration, etc which makes sure you and your vehicle are properly licensed. Running gun serials has nothing to do with 'public safety'.

I'd suggest you consult a lawyer and ask them about this.

I think that I would lose the orange painted thread protector to not have any more problems of being accused of disguising it as a toy.

Yeah I plan on gettin somethin different anyway soon as I save up some extra funds!

I think that I would lose the orange painted thread protector to not have any more problems of being accused of disguising it as a toy.

Superhawk, it goes a little bit further than a muzzle protector.

See posts 10 and 15 in this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=40255&hl=

Edited by nalioth

Is the whole gun orange or just the thread protector? If it was just the thread protector I would say something to you as well. If the gun is orange that is awesome :super: .

I see now that is awesome but I would have the barrel orange and the thread protector black. If you paint the orange stuff white first then orange it looks better.

Edited by madmax4x4

Superhawk, it goes a little bit further than a muzzle protector.

See posts 10 and 15 in this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=40255&hl=

Is the whole gun orange or just the thread protector? If it was just the thread protector I would say something to you as well. If the gun is orange that is awesome :super: .

You can look, too.

Not an illegal search if it is in plain view.

And ya have to admit that orange S-12 does draw the eye.

It wasn't the "seeing" them or examining them, it was the "running the serial numbers without probable cause of a crime" that the court found was an "illegal search".

Neither were in plain view at all, they asked and I was honest about what I had and where. They did see the glock sticking out of the bottom of my shirt a little, thats why they pulled me over in the first place, the Saiga was wrapped up in flannel shirts on my back seat. I didnt think much of the whole thing, I was just glad not to get a ticket for anything even though I didnt do anything wrong in the first place.

I sure didnt think they had a real reason for stopping me in the first place!

You brandished a weapon. A gun at that. In my state that gets a lot of attention. In my neighborhood if a cop saw a pistol on me they'd probably draw first, then disarm me, then ask questions.

I'm betting the numbers were DL and vehicle plate.

IF they ran weapons serials, I am sure they'd find one of the "catch-all" clauses in that damned Patriot Act that they could safely hang their hat on.

I've seen it used to justify all kinds of strange stuff!

You brandished a weapon. A gun at that. In my state that gets a lot of attention. In my neighborhood if a cop saw a pistol on me they'd probably draw first, then disarm me, then ask questions.

Sorry.

"brandishing" is when you approach someone, ask them to 'loan" you their money, and lift your garments up to expose your weapon.

"brandishing" is an INTENTIONAL act.

Having your shirt blow up due to a wind gust and having your firearm exposed is not "brandishing".

In Indiana, if you have a CCW, you can open carry, so even if the cops saw his pistol, they should have checked his CCW and that should have been that.

I'm sure Will knows but in the N.O. area if you get stopped and don't have your (bill of sell) they take your gun. Not that they can but it happens. I thought it would be for the shady fucks black or white tell it happened to a friend of mine, no not the shady ones :chris: just a normal guy business owner. Has never happened to me but I get stopped for having a ugly car not braking law's. I have had cops run my numbers in many states. And here but no one was pulled that bill of sale shit on me yet. You do not need to register gun here, you can if you want but only NFA stuff is required to be registered with the state of Louisiana along with the normal fed ATF stuff.

Was your Glock loaded?

Do you have a permit to carry?

Was your Saiga loaded?

Are you a cop?

I don't care how liberal the gun laws are over where you are at. Its your kind of behavior and casualness about having firearms in public that raises the hairs of the gun controlling public. For Gods sake treat it as a serious firearm not a toy. Stowe your Saiga properly in a case inside your trunk and unloaded. If you have a permit to carry make sure you have it on you at all times so that there is no question for you to CCW your glock.

I don't know what the policies of the ranges are like out there where you are but where I am, the ranges are adamant that guns be brought to the range unloaded with ammo in a separate bag. Please be more responsible and not be the "next" example that the law makers will use to further limit our 2nd amendment rights.

Did you here about that guy who went to the airport to pick-up is buddy to go hunting and had a bunch of guns and ammo in his trunk? Very Stupid!

I'm sure Will knows but in the N.O. area if you get stopped and don't have your (bill of sell) they take your gun. Not that they can but it happens. I thought it would be for the shady fucks black or white tell it happened to a friend of mine, no not the shady ones :chris: just a normal guy business owner. Has never happened to me but I get stopped for having a ugly car not braking law's. I have had cops run my numbers in many states. And here but no one was pulled that bill of sale shit on me yet. You do not need to register gun here, you can if you want but only NFA stuff is required to be registered with the state of Louisiana along with the normal fed ATF stuff.

Not sure why only Will would know.

Your information about NOPD (and the parish LEOs, too) has been published before, in many places.

We are not discussing New Orleans, here, but Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Sorry.

"brandishing" is when you approach someone, ask them to 'loan" you their money, and lift your garments up to expose your weapon.

"brandishing" is an INTENTIONAL act.

Having your shirt blow up due to a wind gust and having your firearm exposed is not "brandishing".

In Indiana, if you have a CCW, you can open carry, so even if the cops saw his pistol, they should have checked his CCW and that should have been that.

Most states if you have a CCDW you can't open carry. If you can conceal legally you have too. Seeing it one you is a far cry from brandishing, good thing they didn't try to charge you with that. A lot dependes on which cop you get. That is sad but true. Some states CCDW are much better than other LA's is OK but not what it should be

Well I admire proactive police work, but it can go too far.

As far a rights being trampled, did they ask you if they could check the guns or did they not give you a choice in the matter. If they asked and you said fine, then you gave consent. If I did not want them to check my guns I would just say, "no." If they did it anyway, it would clearly be a warrantless search, and from your description, without exception.

Well I admire proactive police work, but it can go too far.

As far a rights being trampled, did they ask you if they could check the guns or did they not give you a choice in the matter. If they asked and you said fine, then you gave consent. If I did not want them to check my guns I would just say, "no." If they did it anyway, it would clearly be a warrantless search, and from your description, without exception.

They just asked if I had any and told me to get out with my hands up after I said yes then took my Glock then told me to sit back down and then asked if I had any others and I said yes and told him where it was and he took it too, without asking. Yes I thought the whole thing was shitty but comming from a small town and being use too harrasment I try to just go along so they dont go freaky on me, especially since my son was with me!

......One officer acted rather upset that I was trying to "disguise it as a toy", the other thought it was cool like a "Harley shotgun". One ran my numbers while the other shot the shit with me.......

Sounds like a case of "good cop bad cop" to me. They certainly played you.

They just asked if I had any and told me to get out with my hands up after I said yes then took my Glock then told me to sit back down and then asked if I had any others and I said yes and told him where it was and he took it too, without asking. Yes I thought the whole thing was shitty but comming from a small town and being use too harrasment I try to just go along so they dont go freaky on me, especially since my son was with me!

C'mon, out with it. What did they really say to you about your guns?

Was your Glock loaded?

Do you have a permit to carry?

Was your Saiga loaded?

Are you a cop?

I don't care how liberal the gun laws are over where you are at. Its your kind of behavior and casualness about having firearms in public that raises the hairs of the gun controlling public. For Gods sake treat it as a serious firearm not a toy. Stowe your Saiga properly in a case inside your trunk and unloaded. If you have a permit to carry make sure you have it on you at all times so that there is no question for you to CCW your glock.

I don't know what the policies of the ranges are like out there where you are but where I am, the ranges are adamant that guns be brought to the range unloaded with ammo in a separate bag. Please be more responsible and not be the "next" example that the law makers will use to further limit our 2nd amendment rights.

Did you here about that guy who went to the airport to pick-up is buddy to go hunting and had a bunch of guns and ammo in his trunk? Very Stupid!

Spoken like a true Californian :lolol:

Edited by madmax4x4
......One officer acted rather upset that I was trying to "disguise it as a toy", the other thought it was cool like a "Harley shotgun". One ran my numbers while the other shot the shit with me.......

Sounds like a case of "good cop bad cop" to me. They certainly played you.

C'mon, out with it. What did they really say to you about your guns?

I was thinkin it was classic good cop bad cop the whole time but not sure what you mean about being played? Ive never seen arguing with a cop about anything ending up well! and Im not sure what you mean by the second part either, I already stated what they said about them.