Need help choosing mags for S-223

just get AR mag adapter from MagnoliaStateArmory and go with Tapco AR mags

Why would one buy Tapco AR mags when Magpul Pmags cost $14?

I'm interested in getting an AR adapter because I have so many AR mags already. I like the look of the MSA over the look of the Renegadebuck adapter but I am concerned about whether I will ever see the MSA adapter if I order it.

just get AR mag adapter from MagnoliaStateArmory and go with Tapco AR mags

Why would one buy Tapco AR mags when Magpul Pmags cost $14?

I'm interested in getting an AR adapter because I have so many AR mags already. I like the look of the MSA over the look of the Renegadebuck adapter but I am concerned about whether I will ever see the MSA adapter if I order it.

I bought a whole S-load of AR15 military surplus mags at $5 each. I then ordered a bunch of Magpul III followers. (Was even able to get gray colored) for $1.50 each. Now, with my Renengadebuck adapter, all 15 magazines work flawlessly. Prior to getting the magpul followers, I had about 1/3 of the magazines with issues shooting the last 2-3 rounds in the magazines. All fed properly except the last 2-3. With the new followers and the Renegadebuch adapter, I didn't have one feeding or firing issue with 15 mags and more than 300 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Tapco Galil mags are exceptable...they wobble a bit , if you grab them and force them to , but not while operating the rifle , even fully loaded , but you have to have a bullet guide...I've been lobbying Tapco to make a line of Saiga mags , but everyone needs to pitch in so they know there is an interest. BTW Tapco Galil mags are only 14 bucks each !

• 4 weeks later...

I just put the dinzag bullet guide in and Tapco Galil 30 rounders work perfect, but the 35 round metal galil surplus have a lot of feed issues.

I wonder if material was added by welding to the underside front lug and more metal removed from the front top sides(thus causing the front of the magazine to be raised up) if the magazine's bullet feed angle could be changed to be more reliable with the bullet guide.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put the dinzag bullet guide in and Tapco Galil 30 rounders work perfect, but the 35 round metal galil surplus have a lot of feed issues.

I wonder if material was added by welding to the underside front lug and more metal removed from the front top sides(thus causing the front of the magazine to be raised up) if the magazine's bullet feed angle could be changed to be more reliable with the bullet guide.

I would suggest trying the mags in your rifle before making any alterations. Those mags are 100% in my rifle, EXCEPT in two of them when I deliberately push them all the way over to one side.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm responding to a pretty old conversation, but this may be pertinent.

I just installed my Dinzag BG and was hand-working some dummy rounds through a Tapco Galil and a steel Galil 35-round magazine. The Tapco was 100%. The Galil had a more spotty performance. The bolt scraped up one of the dummy rounds pretty badly when slamming toward the breech. "It's a shame," I thought, "This magazine fits so snugly in the mag well."

As I cleared the jam, I noticed how much wider the gap between the feed lips seemed to be on the steel magazine as compared to the Tapco. A dial caliper confirmed the steel interlabial distance to be significantly wider than its plastic counterpart. Curious. I also recalled how tight the steel magazine was in the magwell and measured the external width. It too was substantially oversized. Curiouser and curiouser.

I took the steel magazine out to my vise. Using some flat scraps of wood to line the jaws, I pressed the sides of the steel magazine in toward one another until the external width was roughly equivalent to the Tapco magazine.

I loaded some dummies into the magazine and inserted it back into the gun. Zero failures until I started pressing the magazine sideways. Right-to-left pressure was fine, but left-to-right pressure caused some from the right side of the magazine when my hand rode the bolt carrier forward. Slamming home under spring power seems to power through any problems. I will have to give it a trial by fire the next time I can get to the range.

What's the deal with all these zombie threads anyway?

Edited by DrThunder88

I've just recently installed the MSA mag adapter on my .223 and I simply can't be happier and couldnt agree more with the people who mentioned it above. It works great. I did a write up about it with some pictures showing the work that needs to be done to install it (not difficult at all).

Check it out here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62843

AR mags, even the top quality ones, are cheaper than .223 AK pattern mags. Like I said in my thread, my 3 weigars cost me almost 100$!

I took my Galil mags out to the range yesterday. The Tapco was 100% again, but the steel 35-round Galil magazine never failed to fail in the aforementioned fashion with right-to-left pressure. Otherwise it ran fine. I may get another mag to try and tinker around with the current mag's right side feed lips to see if it will run.