S12 Digital Camo Project

I'm finally getting around to refinishing my Saiga 12 gauge shotgun that I've had for months sitting in parts in my safe and in boxes. Along with the shotgun itself, I'm refinishing 6 10rd mags, 1 5rd mag, and a railed forend. I'm trying a digital pattern using the following Duracoat colors:

Urban Mirageflage White

Cooler Green

Tango Down Flat Dark Earth

Combat Black

OD Green

It may turn out looking like crap, but I've enjoyed the project!

The prep consisted of disassembly of the main components, lightly sanding the plastic, blasting the old finish off the metal, then degreasing all of it.

Below is a series of pictures from each step.

UM White:

white%20saiga%201.JPG

white%20saiga%202.JPG

white%20saiga%204.JPG

Cooler Green (I should have put more flattening agent in this mix...it's a bit shiny):

green%20saiga%202.jpg

green%20saiga%201.jpg

green%20saiga%203.jpg

Tango Down FDE with stencils over it:

fde%20saiga%204.jpg

fde%20saiga%201.jpg

fde%20saiga%202.jpg

fde%20saiga%203.jpg

Combat Black:

black%20saiga%202.jpg

black%20saiga%201.jpg

black%20saiga%203.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll put stencils over the black, then finish the whole thing off with OD green. More Pics tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a result similar to this 870 I did, but with some additional colors:

SCOTTS%20870%202.jpg

Edited by gr8santini

you can always add the matte or satin clear coat to flatten everything and smooth out the template lines if you needed too........

looks good so far BTW... I'm getting ready to do some custom painting on mine, have all the duracoat sitting in the box. I'm just making sure that the conversion runs perfectly and everything is SMOOTH before tearing it back down to paint.

Edited by BUFF_dragon

Dude, I saw another gr8santini refinishing thread, I clicked so hard I think I broke my finger. Thanks alot, asshole. :D

I always look forward to seeing pictures of your work. As usual, this particular specimen looks great.

ETA: what's the deal with the combat black over the FDE? I don't understand... Finished product looks great, but I don't understand a few of the layers of paint.

Edited by elvis christ
Dude, I saw another gr8santini refinishing thread, I clicked so hard I think I broke my finger. Thanks alot, asshole. :D

I always look forward to seeing pictures of your work. As usual, this particular specimen looks great.

ETA: what's the deal with the combat black over the FDE? I don't understand... Finished product looks great, but I don't understand a few of the layers of paint.

I tried to go light coats before dark coats, so the FDE came before the black. I wanted some black in the pattern for "shadowing", or something, so I put it on over the FDE and put down some stencils. Does that answer your question?

Yeah, sort of. But I don't understand how the black (or the FDE, for that matter) comes through, when both are painted over, completely...

Obviously, I know dick about painting camo patterns on a gun.

Oh, that's easy, and not very well illustrated in the pictures. After each coat, I apply stencils for each color before putting another color down, then paint the next color over the stencils.

I figured as much, after I started thinking about the actual process. But in the pictures it looked like you did the whole thing in black, but looking at the pictures closely, you can see that the paint isn't exactly smooth all the way through, which I highly doubt you would let happen, considering the work I've seen you do in the past. I guess the abnormalities in the paint were the stencil taped to the actual surface huh?

I figured as much, after I started thinking about the actual process. But in the pictures it looked like you did the whole thing in black, but looking at the pictures closely, you can see that the paint isn't exactly smooth all the way through, which I highly doubt you would let happen, considering the work I've seen you do in the past. I guess the abnormalities in the paint were the stencil taped to the actual surface huh?

Despite my best efforts, the stencils do pull up in spots, and I don't completely cover the whole project with each coat so there will be abnormalities in the process. Also, I don't mind the uneven layers caused by multiple coats of stencils.

looks good! I have always wanted to do a digital camo on one of my guns. Did you make the stencils up yourself? Or did you find them online?

The stencils came from the Bulldog Arms website. $9.99 per sheet. With so many colors and doing 7 mags plus the Saiga, I went through about 6 sheets.

Going to shoot this beauty for the first time tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see how the modified AGP mags work with my magwell by jdtravers. Gunfixr did the conversion for me including cutting the barrel down and permanently attaching the Tromix shark brake. He also welded the rail on the gas tube and installed/fabricated the iron sights! I have a gunfixr gas plug on it as well. I'll post some pics and or video tomorrow.