Question for those with non-converted Saigas

I enjoy shooting rapidly and had a chance to try a converted Saiga with a SAW pistol grip and it was great.

The fit and feel of the pistol grip felt natural and very comfortable.

I have shot a Mini-14 very rapidly but the .223 is not going to kick like a 12ga and was wondering for those with non converted Saigas, do yo find the original stock and fit to be a bit uncomfortable for rapid shooting?

I enjoy shooting rapidly and had a chance to try a converted Saiga with a SAW pistol grip and it was great.

The fit and feel of the pistol grip felt natural and very comfortable.

I have shot a Mini-14 very rapidly but the .223 is not going to kick like a 12ga and was wondering for those with non converted Saigas, do yo find the original stock and fit to be a bit uncomfortable for rapid shooting?

lilguy a couple vendors here sell a butt pad for the factory stock

Edited by rightwingextremist

Yeah, orig Saiga buttstock out of the box will kill your shoulder... not fun. It's pretty light for a 12ga shotgun, so it has a lot of recoil the way it is configured. When I first purchased my s12, I shot it at the range for maybe 50rd of buck just to test it out before I made any mods and jeopardized the warranty. Shot well, but I sure didn't want to do that to my shoulder again lol.

You don't really have to convert to reduce the recoil, and as was said, you should find buttstock recoil pads for $10-25. I think you should at least put on US made stock so you can use hi cap US mags legally, though. I just go with Tapco DIY pistol/adjustable stock... around $60, and then add some 12rd clips. You can add a recoil pad to the DIY stock also, but I didn't feel the need. My Tapco and using managed recoil buckshot cuts the recoil almost in half... pretty managable IMO.

Edited by slyguy
Yeah, orig Saiga buttstock out of the box will kill your shoulder... not fun. It's pretty light for a 12ga shotgun, so it has a lot of recoil the way it is configured. When I first purchased my s12, I shot it at the range for maybe 50rd of buck just to test it out before I made any mods and jeopardized the warranty. Shot well, but I sure didn't want to do that to my shoulder again lol.

You don't really have to convert to reduce the recoil, and as was said, you should find buttstock recoil pads for $10-25. I think you should at least put on US made stock so you can use hi cap US mags legally, though. I just go with Tapco DIY pistol/adjustable stock... around $60, and then add some 12rd clips. You can add a recoil pad to the DIY stock also, but I didn't feel the need. My Tapco and using managed recoil buckshot cuts the recoil almost in half... pretty managable IMO.

Hey sly does that stock go on without converting? and if so how easy is it to install?

Hey sly does that stock go on without converting? and if so how easy is it to install?

Unscrew original's screws, take it off, put after market on, tighten screws... Pretty easy, my 10yr'ol could do it.

Slyguy,

where do you find those 12rnd clips, they might make loading my 12rnd magazine easier :haha:

First time I shot the S12 with factory stock, my shoulder and bicep bruised up something fierce. I have not converted yet and don't intend to with my first S12. However, each time I've shot, it's been easier and easier. I have a skeleton stock on right now and also screwed around with a T6 from another gun. I'd say that anything is better than the factory stock. Maybe the stock will correctly work for your length of pull, but I found the ability to adjust it to my pull made all the difference in the world.

Good luck. Like Chile said, get all the screws. There's a screw underneath the dust cover.

I have one, it's a 15 minute job if you are slow. Couldn't be much easier. Comes with a thick pad also, really reduces recoil. I will more than likely convert later, but I like this stock because it kept me legal under 922r with an US made hi cap mag.

It's a cheap stock, but it's sturdier than it looks.

I put on a limbsaver on my original stock and put a mercury recoil reducer inside, even my 16 year old cousin said that it had almost no recoil, we went through about 400 rounds on sunday, I did about half of it, and we kept commenting about the lack of kick, even when rapid firing. We where able to compare with my 24" mossberg and 18" winchester both with limbsavers as well.

-bb

... I think you should at least put on US made stock so you can use hi cap US mags legally, though. I just go with Tapco DIY pistol/adjustable stock... around $60, and then add some 12rd clips. You can add a recoil pad to the DIY stock also, but I didn't feel the need. My Tapco and using managed recoil buckshot cuts the recoil almost in half... pretty managable IMO.

I don't think just adding a U.S. made stock and U.S. made mag is enough to satisfy 922r. There are more parts needed before it can be legal. Better check on that.

Edited by FrustratedInCali

saiga 12 has 14 parts.

Must have 10 or fewer foreign parts to meet 922r

mag is three. Stock is one.

How does this not satisfy 922r?

... I think you should at least put on US made stock so you can use hi cap US mags legally, though. I just go with Tapco DIY pistol/adjustable stock... around $60, and then add some 12rd clips. You can add a recoil pad to the DIY stock also, but I didn't feel the need. My Tapco and using managed recoil buckshot cuts the recoil almost in half... pretty managable IMO.

I don't think just adding a U.S. made stock and U.S. made mag is enough to satisfy 922r. There are more parts needed before it can be legal. Better check on that.

I have a wood 308 factory butt on my s12 now, which I like quite a lot. it has a recoil pad and cheek piece cut into it from the factory. Its been that way for years, and its staying like that.

helping Tom out on a boatload of different customer guns, I have had a chance to try almost every stock out there for these suckers that is out there. I still prefer my wood monte carlo style configuration, BUT that is my personal preference in a shotgun that is full length. I really need to strip it's finish and stain it black one of these days so it matches the rest of the gun.

you guys are funny with the recoil on the factory plastic stocks hurting after a while. put an amd65 wire folder on there, see how that feels :)

Get that sucker in your shoulder right, turn your mounting shoulder into the target a tiny bit (I have a firing stance that is just slightly leaning forward and turned into the target, and I will crouch if I really need to hang onto something, like those goddamned H+H magnums, and "the beast", that partly does the job by itself), and you wont have that flat butt on the factory stock cutting into you edgewise. I shoot with both eyes open mostly, unless Im using a magnified scope, or irons out to range.

firing hundreds of 12 gauge rounds at a session with other stuff as well, like going shooting with your friends, well, your shoulder is gonna hurt, no way around that.