What's your reason for getting the Saiga?

We all know there are plenty of .308 platforms. Of course there is the AR10, the FN, and the CETME/ HK platform which are very popular for .308 but we are all here, of course, because we chose the Saiga.

What's my reason? Price. Sure if I could afford the prices that the other rifles are demanding $1500+, I would have gotten something else other than a Saiga. But there's also the Saiga's AK heritage which says a lot about its durability and reliability. Now that I am more educated about guns, I think I would choose something with a design similar to the Saiga/AK like an XCR, a Sig Sauer or a Galil. That's if they made a .308 Someone correct me on this because maybe they do. I am starting to learn through my poor choices of accessories, that you do get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap. But then again compared to other semi-auto .308s the Saiga is cheap (pricewise) too. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Saiga and I think its a very simple and straight forward firearm. I also think this forum and the Saiga community is great. However, I'm beginning to wonder, should I have considered spending more for the other platforms?

Anyways, I would like to hear about your reasons for the Saiga. Especially if you chose it over others for reasons other than price.

Price, reliability. Pretty much sums it up for me.

You made a great choice with the Saiga. It is something that will last and last, and go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

If the shooting bug really grabs you, and someday you want a very precise weapon. You might purchase another platform, but you will always be glad you have that Saiga in your safe for backup.

I'd take a PRE-panic AR-10 type for $1100-1300 but the Saiga is CHEAP and the 308 going off is just as scary sounding as the AR-10.. IMHO. Its a 308..

See Jamie Fox in the war/jahaad movie with Jen Garner.. He's got an AR-10 picking off the BGs in one scene.

I'd take a PRE-panic AR-10 type for $1100-1300 but the Saiga is CHEAP and the 308 going off is just as scary sounding as the AR-10.. IMHO. Its a 308..

See Jamie Fox in the war/jahaad movie with Jen Garner.. He's got an AR-10 picking off the BGs in one scene.

I used to agree until I read Boston's Gun Bible, he makes a very sound case against the AR-10 and he used to like the rifle. Hes not big on the AK platform either but his biggest problem with the AK is the x39 round.

My Top Ten List:

1. I figured in NJ, EVERYTHING will be banned eventually, right down to toilet seats.

2. Wanted the civilian HK416/17 (MR223/308), did not want to pay $$$$$$$ for one, wanted same or better reliability and caliber opt.

3. The current Pres. persuaded me that it's time...

4. Prices (at the time) was inching up fast.

5. Potentially possible, future appreciated value.

6. Never had a serious rifle, why not???

7. Saiga's still ALOT cheaper than Ruger Ranch rifles, which can't hold a candle to the Saiga reliability.

8. Easy convertability, stock, grips, HG's, mags, etc....

9. Love piston driven rifles period.

10. NOT into the AR dirty 'gas-impingement' male barbie doll guns that seem to be all the rage. No, not at all.

:D

Edited by quikz

Dude where I am it's HALF the price of a Benelli M1 and SO MUCH COOLER to have than a Benelli Nova Tactical or anything coming out of Turkey. Hi Cap Mags make it extra BADASS. And hey, Need I mention that it's the nephew of the best assault rifle in history? Need I mention the no-brainer price?

RES IPSA LOQUITOR

-Jah Ras Ta Far I

I used to agree until I read Boston's Gun Bible, he makes a very sound case against the AR-10 and he used to like the rifle. Hes not big on the AK platform either but his biggest problem with the AK is the x39 round.

That book needs a second edition, he has written since about both the .308 galils and AK's, and offered some differing opinions on some other rifles since it came out. Someone should start a petition.

I've always been a fan of the Klashnikov action but the first rifle I ever fired was a 7.62x51(HKG3) which became my caliber of choice. So when I stopped in at the gunshop and saw a Saiga .308 :eek: I immediately bought it. Been addicted since.

1. I figured in NJ, EVERYTHING will be banned eventually, right down to toilet seats.

Sorry off topic, I just couldn't resist...

They won't ban toilet seats in NJ, they'll just require you to have an attendant to use them!

Back on topic.

The S-308 is a good weapon, it is at a fair price point and you can customize the hell out of it. I read some of the CETME builds had issues, I have no idea how to identify them.

Saiga 308 - $525

308 FAL - $900

CETME - $850

AR-10 - $1000+

FN SCAR - $3000 (?)

Ishpore Enfield 2A - $150 :)

Edited by vbrtrmn

I'll be buying one when they hit the $300 area again. Like an idiot I passed a .308 up for a x39 last fall, I shouldn't have listened to all that hub-ub about "cheap" 7.62x39, because it's been getting insane just finding it. Meanwhile, .308's are easily found. Pricey, but I can actually buy it.

That book needs a second edition, he has written since about both the .308 galils and AK's, and offered some differing opinions on some other rifles since it came out. Someone should start a petition.

I agree a lot has happened since 2004 but some of it even more true today. Glad he talked me out of the AR-10 though I really am not a huge fan of Mr. Stoner's work.

308 Kalashnikov type rifles previously cost $3000+ and when the Saiga 308 came along I had great hopes but there were no easily adapted hicaps and then came FBMG and the rifle became worth having.

If Saigas and Veprs didn't exist then the 308 Galil or Valmet would be my only other alternatives with a $3000+ "buy in" and $100+ hicap magazines.

The Saiga would still be a bargain at $1500 compared to the next available offering and I own it because it's a 308 Kalashnikov not because it's "cheap" and it will certainly outlive or outlast any M14 or AR10.

If I need better than 2MOA I will bring a bolt gun..

Edited by SOPMOD

I was interested in a .308 Saiga because of the price. When I went to visit my son in TX three years ago. I saw some plastic ones there under $300 but the wife didn't like them. Stopped in a N. Florida gun shop on the way home and bought a wood stocked one for $325 including a box o bullets.

I thought I overpaid but I like the rifle.

The Saiga .308 brings good quantities of everything to the table!

First & foremost, she is utterly reliable & robust! You can comfortable trust you life to this rifle if needs be. Nothing else out there really compares. Especially when balanced against the price!

Extremely adaptable. Log tube or short, out of the box, you're good to go! Want something a little different or personalized? The sky is the limit! And you can build your perfect pet a little at a time & still maintain (for the most part) a functional shooter. Especially when balanced against the price!

Accuracy. Is she THE MOST ACCURATE semi-auto out there? Not ba a long shot! Still, feed her what she likes & she'll shoot with or even outshoot most out-of-the-box rack-grade M1A's & FAL's. Especially when balanced against the price!

Oh, yeah! Did I mention the price? Any other option is going to go for at least twice the $$$ of the Saiga!

Of course, YMMV!!!

Old SF MJT

Manual of Arms.

I bought the S12 because I needed a new shotgun. It's the best fighting shotgun you can get/afford. Liked it so much I bought the X39. I get 2MOA and it has never failed me, it's an AK! So then the next, obvious, step was a Saiga .308.

Their not pretty guns, but they are robustly built and reliable. Just what you want in a SHTF battery.

They have the same controls. When I train with one, I'm training with them all. Hell, some of the parts interchange!

S12= CQC

X39=Goto gun

.308=DMR