Attention Venders * Please look into USPS Flat Rate Shipping *

I recently bought 2 very small items that were not that expensive.

In both cases the shipping was very high and the sellers could have saved me money by offering USPS Flat Rate Services.

In both cases the items I ordered would have cost less then $6 to ship via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation and Insurance.

I would have saved $13 on 2 items.

Priority mail also saves the sellers money to. The boxes are free.

I know that's not a lot but it adds up, if the other places I had ordered from had these items I would have bought from them instead.

Edited by Boba Debt

The sellers also have to look at delivery confirmation because for those that get their items and then claim they never did, and insurance for when the items do not arrive.

Both of those fees would have to be added to the basic cost of USPS flat rate shipping.

The sellers also have to look at delivery confirmation because for those that get their items and then claim they never did, and insurance for when the items do not arrive.

Both of those fees would have to be added to the basic cost of USPS flat rate shipping.

FYI - for reference

Its only .80 for delivery confirmation

Priority Flat Rate

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope $4.95 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box $4.95 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box (FRB1) $10.35 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"

Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box (FRB2) $10.35 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"

Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box (Domestic Addresses) $13.95 12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box (APO/FPO Destinations) $11.95 12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

Cheers,

HarvKY

I've been using the flat rates for well over a year and they have yet to lose, mangle or otherwise disembowel any of the items I've sent. Pad the snot out of the boxes and your good to go.

Another plus is that they take like 2-3 days cross country, heck it took 3 days from Florida to Alaska for a 65 lb box of buck shot (just the pellets in sealed bags you can't ship ammo), for 9.85. Even better is that you can schedule pick up and not have to go to the Post office they come to your house or place of business and pick up.

Edited by csspecs

If the vendor prints the label himself using the USPS downloadable software,

he can add the postage and he even gets free delivery confirmation.

I believe he can also add insurance. I rarely use USPS insurance though.

I usually "self-insure".... charge an insurance fee to the customer, and

then keep it to cover any loses. You have to make good on loses if you

do that though.

I do it that way all the time for my E-bay stuff.

I don't think the actual cost of shipping is the main shipping problem... the problem is that it is "acceptable" in our society to charge considerably more for "shipping & handling" than that. Paying for the box is one thing, but many venders also include the price of paying someone (an employee?) to ship your item and also shift other costs into "shipping and handling". Personally, I think it is dishonest, and am quite annoyed when I pay $7 shipping and it gets to my house with a $1.19 stamp on it.

There isn't much people can do to change the system I guess.... since everyone accepts 'hidden costs'. Everyone just needs to be upfront about costs.. not hide costs in shipping/handling.

Our entire society as a whole needs to stop allowing extra "fees" to just be added on to everything. Put the cost in the cost, and stop the BS.

I try to be fair myself, but is my time spent boxing up something for you and in the past when I was a merchant, standing in the line at the post office worth any less than yours?

Before the economy tanked I dealt in ancient coins, sent a lot of stuff overseas, and usually did not have the option to have home pick up. Had to deal with customs forms and all of that good stuff that can only be dealt with at the PO. I didnt have the option to buy a thousand dollars worth of insurance from the guy that picks up my mail. Had to go to the PO

So yes, I tacked on an extra 3 bucks to the average shipment to make up for my time.

I suppose things are changing now though.

I will pay shipping and handling as long as I think it is fair. I do not expect people to do it for free.

I have a small lot of ammo going out tomorrow. I have to drive 40 miles round trip to go to the local UPS depot which is only open 2 hours a day to send it. I am not charging a penny more than what the UPS charge is. You cant get any fairer that that ;)

+1000 on shipping USPS flat rate, I love it.

I sell a device to connect 2 generators together for camping.... I box them up in a normal Priority box and if the postage goes over $10.35 I put that box in a flat rate box to mail it. I do charge $13.00 for shipping but people don't seem to mind with the speed they get it. The Post Office has never let me down 60 sent and 60 received in a timely manner. You don't need to stand in line, they will pick up and even give you FREE boxes......

Ups and Fed Ex are ridiculous and my customers and I would pay a lot more using either. They can take 7 or 8 days to deliver when the USPO will get it there in 2 to 3 days.....

Edited by Lakedweller

This message was mostly for online type businesses.

When I was ordering all of my parts for my conversion I would stop the process as soon as I saw the shipping rate and then I would find another vendor.

In some cases I couldn't do that because no one else had the item.

Delivery confirmation in free when you buy you postage online.

The rate is also less, not buy, for instance the Small Flat Rate box has a counter price of $4.95, but an online price of $4.80

When you add $1.75 for insurance the total is only $6.55

Any box that weighs 1 pound or less has a standard shipping fee of $4.95, online price of $4.80 to any US destination.

The charges aren't 'hidden.' It's called handling and guess what guys? That's what I do. When someone mails a check for parts and services, I log it in. I record name and address along with screen name (when people are polite enough to include it) so we can reach them if we have any questions. When it's ready, I box it up and log it out. Now, are you guys really saying you don't think my time is worth anything?

No, your time is no more valuable then the time I spent searching the net for the best deal.

In fact, the buyer probably has more time invested in finding the part then you have in packing it up.

I work 7 days a week (72 hours), I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I sell items on line. My time is very valuable but I don't tack on $5 - $10 for the few minutes it takes me to pack up and item and print a label for it.

If your a business, it's called "the cost of doing business"

I didn't complete 4 separate transactions because when I got to the shipping exorbitant shipping fees

In one instance, shipping was $18 for a FCG, I wasn't going to pay that much for shipping just to save $3 on the cost of a part.

I was pleasantly surprised to discovery that Mississippi Arms shipping fee was $4 less and I was able to buy more items.

The charges aren't 'hidden.' It's called handling and guess what guys? That's what I do. When someone mails a check for parts and services, I log it in. I record name and address along with screen name (when people are polite enough to include it) so we can reach them if we have any questions. When it's ready, I box it up and log it out. Now, are you guys really saying you don't think my time is worth anything?

I'm sorry, but I spend more than a 'few minutes' dealing with orders. This is a business. We have to keep detailed records. We don't just throw stuff we had lying around the house into a box. Since I started helping Cobra, I have kept records of every item that comes in and all that go back out. Plus, I've never heard anyone complain about our shipping charges. Most people understand my time is worth something.

You feeling guilty? Cause I'm not singling you out, I never even tried to buy anything from you, that I know of.

This thread is just a friendly way to let you guys know that you might make more money by not charging so much for shipping.

As I stated, I stopped ordering parts for my Saiga from 4 different online sites once I saw the shipping charge.

I have been selling products on line since 1999.

I have found that it's easier to make more money by selling more product. One thing that entices customers is free or low shipping.

But most sellers that charge "handling fees" or "3% fee for credit cards" are oblivious to the sales the lose or don't get.

The reason you may have never heard anyone complain about your shipping charges could be that they decided not to place the order once they saw them.

You feeling guilty? Cause I'm not singling you out, I never even tried to buy anything from you, that I know of.

This thread is just a friendly way to let you guys know that you might make more money by not charging so much for shipping.

As I stated, I stopped ordering parts for my Saiga from 4 different online sites once I saw the shipping charge.

I have been selling products on line since 1999.

I have found that it's easier to make more money by selling more product. One thing that entices customers is free or low shipping.

But most sellers that charge "handling fees" or "3% fee for credit cards" are oblivious to the sales the lose or don't get.

The reason you may have never heard anyone complain about your shipping charges could be that they decided not to place the order once they saw them.

Have you ever been a seller of anything? Its just not as simple as you make it sound. Yes, its part of the business, but while you are kicking back drinking a cold one and watching the simpsons on the tube, these guys are busy boxing stuff up and entering it into their records that they keep to keep track of everything. The 2 bucks they make for profit on an item does not cover that.

I agree, its unfair to get hit 20 bucks shipping for a 3 dollar part, but I do have to say again that a fair handling fee is not unreasonable.

And as far as the fee that some people charge when you use PayPal or a credit card, it costs money for you to have the convenience of clicking and paying instead of having to write a check or go to the post office and get a money order. Why should the seller eat the cost for something that is convinient to you, not to them?

You need to rethink your argument and be willing to meet in the middle, not insist that S&H go from completely against your favor to completely against the sellers favor.

What will happen is that sellers will quit selling, thus taking away from the number of sellers that you have the option of buying from.

Have you ever been a seller of anything? Its just not as simple as you make it sound. Yes, its part of the business, but while you are kicking back drinking a cold one and watching the simpsons on the tube, these guys are busy boxing stuff up and entering it into their records that they keep to keep track of everything. The 2 bucks they make for profit on an item does not cover that.

I agree, its unfair to get hit 20 bucks shipping for a 3 dollar part, but I do have to say again that a fair handling fee is not unreasonable.

And as far as the fee that some people charge when you use PayPal or a credit card, it costs money for you to have the convenience of clicking and paying instead of having to write a check or go to the post office and get a money order. Why should the seller eat the cost for something that is convinient to you, not to them?

You need to rethink your argument and be willing to meet in the middle, not insist that S&H go from completely against your favor to completely against the sellers favor.

What will happen is that sellers will quit selling, thus taking away from the number of sellers that you have the option of buying from.

Exactly! Thank you. I do really get sick of the liberal attitude that business aren't supposed to turn a decent profit. People are, for the most part, in business to make money. We are no exception, although Cobra really enjoys working on guns and I enjoy helping him in any way I can. So when you use PayPal to pay us, you're darned shootin straight we aren't going to be the ones to pay the fee. You can get into your car, drive to where ever you get your money orders (that seems to be the preferred method of payment), pay for the money order and then drive home. If you want the convenience of PayPal, it'll cost ya.

As for us charging too much for shipping, I've seen people on here bitch about everything under the sun so I'm pretty sure we would have heard something. Plus, for the most part, we just have a set price for our products. Shipping isn't free. It's built in already. It would be nice if you would do at least a little research before implying such things.

If a business carries parts that you can get about anywhere online, you can shop around all you want to try and save a few dollars. But then you have to remember, some businesses carry things you cannot get anywhere else. My business is a CUSTOM business. It's not just any sales shop. Most of what I carry is exclusive to right here. If you want my services or parts, you will have to pay what they cost. That cost is adjusted for "handling charges" because all those trips to the post office and to go and buy shipping supplies are not free. I charge a very fair price for everything I sell and do. It's only fair for us to get reimbursed for a little bit above actual shipping charges. I've heard no complaints and it's not because people decided not to do business with us at all. The extra bookwork is only half of it.

Yes, I have been selling products on the internet since 1999, which I previously stated in one of my posts.. My ebay feed back rating is over 700 and I have a 100% positive rating.

I do not drink bear, watch the simpsons or kick back. After I spent 13 years in the Corps I went to work as an aircraft electrician for a Naval Re-work Facility. I work 58-66 hours per week in an open hanger in eastern NC and it's either hot as hell or freezing cold.

While I'm working 10 hour days rebuilding the planes that take our Marines into battle I still find the energy to work around our house. To get an idea of how busy and talented I am, check out my photobucket account at http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/Bo...p;addtype=local

In addition to all of that I find niches to fund my various hobbies, in fact, every hobby I have is self sustaining, it's the only way I can afford some of them.

I have sold a huge variety of items such as - replicas of props,air gun nails, Dewalt tools, household goods and even meteorites.

As for charging people for the credit card and Paypal fees. If you read your merchant terms of service for any credit card service and your PayPal users agreement you will see that you are not allowed to pass the fees to the customer. If you specifically state that the additional 3% is for the fees and if a customer passed that info to your service provided they would drop you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly! Thank you. I do really get sick of the liberal attitude that business aren't supposed to turn a decent profit.

SERIOUSLY, did you just infer that I'm a liberal???? Is that a standard defense mechanism that just pops out when someone disagrees with you???

So when you use PayPal to pay us, you're darned shootin straight we aren't going to be the ones to pay the fee. You can get into your car, drive to where ever you get your money orders (that seems to be the preferred method of payment), pay for the money order and then drive home. If you want the convenience of PayPal, it'll cost ya.

See my above comment, it explains why your not allowed to do this.

As for us charging too much for shipping, I've seen people on here bitch about everything under the sun so I'm pretty sure we would have heard something. Plus, for the most part, we just have a set price for our products.

To quote one of my favorite president "there you go again".

I NEVER specifically said YOU charge too much. I never even ordered anything from you. This is a general thread directed at all vendors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a business carries parts that you can get about anywhere online, you can shop around all you want to try and save a few dollars. But then you have to remember, some businesses carry things you cannot get anywhere else.

Funny you should mention this.

Check the parts chart listed in my "I'm up to $650 so far" thread. The bulk of my parts came from 2 sources - Arms of America and Mississippi Arms.

I bought from those venders because they had some of the best prices but they also had what I considered to be very fair shipping rates. Coincidently , both of their packages arrived today and they were both shipped via USPS priority Mail.

My business is a CUSTOM business. It's not just any sales shop. Most of what I carry is exclusive to right here. If you want my services or parts, you will have to pay what they cost. That cost is adjusted for "handling charges" because all those trips to the post office and to go and buy shipping supplies are not free. I charge a very fair price for everything I sell and do. It's only fair for us to get reimbursed for a little bit above actual shipping charges. I've heard no complaints and it's not because people decided not to do business with us at all. The extra bookwork is only half of it.

I never said you didn't charge a fair price. I have made it very clear that this is directed to all vendors, not anyone in particular

But let me correct a few things in your comments

1. Priority Mail supplies are FREE. In fact, if you order a pallet of boxes from the USPS priority department, they will make them to the exact size you request and they will print your logo on the boxes.

2. This is the 21st century. You can do most of your shipping online and the post man will pick the items up at your house.

If you accept Paypal, you can actually set up a shipping account through them and use either USPS or UPS simply by clicking button from the PayPal website. It automatically has the buyers info listed, you select the type of shipping and input the size and weight. The you pay for the label from your account and print the label on the spot.

The whole process takes about 1 minute. It sends the tracking info to the buyer automatically and it provides protection for both the seller and buyer.

3. Once again, this thread is not about you or anyone in particular. I seriously do not know where these hostile attitudes are coming from.

Edited by Boba Debt
I just tried ordering the free boxes from USPS a couple weeks ago. A day or two later I got a box of 25 boxes on my doorstep. What a deal! Ten dollars of my tax money paid off!

I'm going to have to do this.

EDIT: Just checked the website, and the boxes are indeed free. I didn't make an account yet.............do they charge you for shipping the boxes?

EDIT #2: I see it is free shipping. I also see what some people do with all these free boxes:

collegehumor.fcd9a69034e07ec8d3d33e362ff3f1cf.jpg

Edited by 22_Shooter

They really pack the boxes tightly, so that the big box of boxes is just like one large chunk of corrugated cardboard. I've heard of them being used as targets. But hey, free boxes! At least they give us something, right?

Just put my order in. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known you could get all this stuff for free online.

I ordered about 60 boxes and 10 large envelopes (different sizes, in packs of 10, all "Flat Rate"), some labels and some Order Confirmation labels.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up.

(I also see that when making an account and completing the order.......it says that any use of the supplies, other than shipping purposes is a no-no. Guess those guys in the pic above missed that little disclaimer. :lol: )

They probably would get out of it by saying they were still planning on using them for shipping. Not like it matters anyway, because nobody ever bought a cell phone, sneakers, or jewelry with food stamps, right?

They probably would get out of it by saying they were still planning on using them for shipping. Not like it matters anyway, because nobody ever bought a cell phone, sneakers, or jewelry with food stamps, right?

:lol: True.

Man, I gotta pass this on to my friend's parents, who sell metric shit-tons of stuff on E-Gay. They probably already know about it, but hey, maybe not.

I would have thought for sure they would hit ya with a shipping fee at least, but nope. My order is complete and confirmed, and I didn't even have to give any CC info.

Good stuff.

Not only are the boxes free but if you use the an on line shipping service the cost is less too.

For instance a 10 pound package from NC to CA costs $29.95 for priority mail if you take it to the counter but the on line price is $28.59

That is a savings of $1.36. Others would probably keep it but I would pass it on to my customers.

I have been very successful at selling items online and most people tell me that my shipping ethics are what makes me such a good seller.

At one point I was an eBay Power Seller

I sold the same stuff that most other sellers sold but what seemed to be the most important to the buyers was the speed and cost of the shipping.

If you read my ebay feed back you will see that most people comment on the shipping

Here are a few samples

thanks so much, great item and no problem with shipping from US to Australia

Super FAST shipping, EXCELLENT packaging & products, A++++seller, Thanks!!

4-star seller. Great product, good communication. Fast shipping. Thanks again

Great seller. Worked to lower shipping costs and provided good product advice.

This is my favorite :)

Arrived in perfect condition; absolutely the best shipper ever. Thanks!

If you want more examples go to

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...f&items=200

So if you think its okay to charge handling fees and to wait a few days to ship an item you are probably not selling as much as you could be.

Prompt, low shipping will create a strong returning customer base that will generate more profit then charging people a $5 - $10 handling fee.

Edited by Boba Debt

Dude nobody is being guilt tripped OR hostile. You need to chill. I don't like your tone, that's all. You implied that people who try and recoup some from the "joys of shipping" and running your own small business, are being unfair to the customer, and lose some people's business like that...did you not?

I get offended by that and have every right to voice my opinion as a good vendor here. If you don't agree that it's only fair for me to make a couple of dollars extra on a $5 charge I add to the cost of a part I ship first class that really cost me $2.95...then I do not want your business.

I too have a 100% feedback on egay, as well as all the forums I've done business on. I won't bore you with the fluff...

People appreciate a seller who has great communication, sells a good product, and charges a fair price. There aren't as many people worried to death about getting 'taken', as it seems you feel like, by people needing to make a couple bucks here and there to even out the charges for supplies that are NOT free....as well as their money spent on gas, and time. When you start shipping things every single day, then you may realize that it's less trouble to just package items and take them to the PO in person....even if you do print your own labels....which I have done before BTW and takes more time than handing it over to the nice lady at the counter. Sure...some items will cost a little less to print your own label for. Some don't. Even if you go that route, you have to be sure your scales are correct, and you have to take the boxes in anyway to mail them, unless you want to delay the customer an extra day to be able to setup a pickup time.

I too have gotten all the free boxes and bubble wrap envelopes I need from USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS.....boxes are not the only thing people use to ship goods. If I want to ship something that weighs less than 14 ounces (the majority of my shipping), I use First Class which gets there just as quick and costs less.... then you can't just ship that in a priority mail box without then wrapping it in packing paper to cover the priority labels....or covering the UPS or Fed ex labels on bubble wrap envelopes so they will ship USPS.

And BTW...Flat Rate boxes are also a ripoff if you want to ship something light weight. The only advantage they have is if you want to ship a small package with a lot of weight in it.

Cobra,

I don't know how to put this in more simplified terms but this thread isn't about you.

It is a general thread to let all vendors know that there are some better options available for shipping

A few dollars for hadling is fine. But when I see the shipping is going to be $32 for UPS ground shipping for 3 mags, a trigger group and a pistol grip I went to a different web site.

Flat Rate boxes can be a scam but they can also level the playing field. I have sold parts kits in the past and offered free shipping. Because the cost was fixed I could add that into the price.

I'm looking in to setting up a few accounts and I plan to offer full conversion kits for Saigas and I will apply this proven business model to those kits and I am sure I will do well.

We were brought into this when you said this:

Implying that people don't buy from us because of our rates. All of this could have been avoided had you simply looked at our shipping rates. Or simply apologizing for insinuating it.

I say again, NO ONE has EVER complained about our shipping charges.

I used to work at a mail order nursery. In the shipping department. When I left there, I was stocking supervisor but worked very closely with the shipping supervisor. So I do actually know a little about shipping AND handling charges.

Personally, I wouldn't use the flat rate boxes unless I could get it at least near the weight limit. I only use the APO/FPO boxes and load them up big time. Last one I sent was 19 lbs. 11 oz.

Listen, this thread really isn't addressed to ANY vendors on here since they are all intelligent people and have researched the cheapest shipping method for them. If that vendor that wanted to charge you $32 or whatever it was is a business member on this forum, take it up with them. But most on here are established companies and they aren't idiots. They know how to look up shipping rates with different companies.

Cobra,

I don't know how to put this in more simplified terms but this thread isn't about you.

It is a general thread to let all vendors know that there are some better options available for shipping

A few dollars for hadling is fine. But when I see the shipping is going to be $32 for UPS ground shipping for 3 mags, a trigger group and a pistol grip I went to a different web site.

Flat Rate boxes can be a scam but they can also level the playing field. I have sold parts kits in the past and offered free shipping. Because the cost was fixed I could add that into the price.

I'm looking in to setting up a few accounts and I plan to offer full conversion kits for Saigas and I will apply this proven business model to those kits and I am sure I will do well.

You may not intend it to, but your posts sound like ebay and USPS television commercials!