Chaos Quad Rail but what kind of sight/optic

there is a hooded site that looks like the HK that attaches to a rail, doesn't fold but looks good. I think its made by SIG but I can't find who makes it. I see it in adds for ar rails I think. Fixed front with a folding rear is what I like

Edited by utahhandyman
there is a hooded site that looks like the HK that attaches to a rail, doesn't fold but looks good. I think its made by SIG but I can't find who makes it. I see it in adds for ar rails I think. Fixed front with a folding rear is what I like

To do that would mean that the OP would have to buy a dust cover mounted rear sight which is even more money. And thats just for irons. Plus I don't think a rail mounted front sight would line up properly unless the rear sight is mounted on a rail at the same height.

For simplicity sake, just get a good red dot scope to mount on the Chaos. Choose whichever you like that suits your budget.

I have HK sights front and rear. The front sight is on the gas block, and is rigid. The rear sight however, is on the dust cover, which moves around everywhere.

The rear sight cannot be adjusted far enough to the left to be on target. Part of the problem is that the dust cover is so loose, and there is no cure for that that I know of, that the rear sight moves around and will not settle in one place. Even a slight amount of movement of the rear sight translates to a large displacement of the POI.

Grab your dust cover and see how much it moves. It's not like the dust cover on a FAL, where an aftermarket dust cover can be indexed on the receiver and bolted in place with clamps. It's just not a good place to mount a rear sight, or a sight of any kind for that matter.

Mounting the rear HK where the original front sight was on the rear of the gas tube won't help much, as the drum is several different size peeps or ghost rings. If it is mounted very far from the eye, it doesn't work right.

So, unless someone else here has a better idea, I think the best solution is to use factory iron sights, or use the left side sight mounting bracket to mount a Kobra or other dot sight intended for a Saiga.

If anyone has done something else that works, please post a picture and description here. I suspect that others like myself would be interested in good solutions.

I would still have some iron sights to back up any red dot, if the battery or the sight itself fails. as for lining up, some ar sights are designed to be mounted on the same rail. If you can co-witness, thats even better as your firing position doesn't have to change.

I just ordered this PK-AS scope for my S12 --> http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pk-as.html

It's a red dot scope that's got this thing called a "black dot", that lets you aim in daylight without batteries. I think it's awesome, since I like red dot scopes, but hate to rely on batteries. It's also got a range-finder cam. As far am I am aware, this scope is one-of-a-kind. It's also a heavy-duty, military-grade optic.

I just ordered this PK-AS scope for my S12 --> http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pk-as.html

It's a red dot scope that's got this thing called a "black dot", that lets you aim in daylight without batteries. I think it's awesome, since I like red dot scopes, but hate to rely on batteries. It's also got a range-finder cam. As far am I am aware, this scope is one-of-a-kind. It's also a heavy-duty, military-grade optic.

Interesting, but it looks like it isn't mounted over the bore centerline. Offset sights aren't usually easy to boresight.

So, unless someone else here has a better idea, I think the best solution is to use factory iron sights, or use the left side sight mounting bracket to mount a Kobra or other dot sight intended for a Saiga.

Quite a few of our 3 gunners have experienced FTE problems with a side mount and eo tech....

apparently, the extracting round will bounce off of the sight back into the chamber...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=28937&hl=

My vote would be for a Dinzag press on block with an AK Iron dot....

akpou12_1.jpg

AK-IronDot%20Mount%20Small.JPG

Sieriously.... it's STILL a shotgun..... you don't need an optic.... Irons are fine...

with this set up.... you can still use Irons and co witness with the dot....

Edit: I run an EoTech 552 w/ a Chaos quad on my Red Jacket....

Optic sits unnaturally high IMO.... I'd like to replace it with a Docter or something....

2841_1052144508804_1381519105_30111941_1106039_n.jpg

I DO love the more forward mounted optic... and you will be hard pressed to find a more stable (or better looking) platform for optics than the Chaos rail....

Quite a few of our 3 gunners have experienced FTE problems with a side mount and eo tech....

apparently, the extracting round will bounce off of the sight back into the chamber...

Sieriously.... it's STILL a shotgun..... you don't need an optic.... Irons are fine...

Optic sits unnaturally high IMO.... I'd like to replace it with a Docter or something....

I DO love the more forward mounted optic... and you will be hard pressed to find a more stable (or better looking) platform for optics than the Chaos rail....

Sure does look nice wish i had the money for a eotech.

I'm gonna try one of these budget MicroDots. A few people have used them with Saigas/slugs w/o failure. I'll be able to run a few hundred rounds of my own OO buck and slugs through it before the 1 year warranty is up. If it makes it past that point, it'll probably do well. A good alternative to a $400 sight.

12-27-08058.jpg

out of stock for now, but link to the wait list.

Link to ad on ARF.com

caspian

I have a burris fastfire II on mine. It's waterproof and holds perfect zero even after 1500 rounds (and i check with a laser bore sighter) I would recommend it to anyone, be sure to get the protective mount though. If you want to see pictures go to the "chaos 4th of july" sale thread. Its in there

I'm gonna try one of these budget MicroDots. A few people have used them with Saigas/slugs w/o failure. I'll be able to run a few hundred rounds of my own OO buck and slugs through it before the 1 year warranty is up. If it makes it past that point, it'll probably do well. A good alternative to a $400 sight.

12-27-08058.jpg

Link to ad on ARF.com

caspian

that's the same optic I have been eye-balling for my saiga. The owner and a few others have used them on larger caliber guns (.50, 44mag, .308, shotgun). here is the link...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&...25&t=174339

12-27-08058.jpg

Link to ad on ARF.com

caspian

I have that micro dot on mine and it works great. So far, so good w/buck and slugs. Its on a ultimak mount.

Edited by Delta 5.56

So after looking around a bit more the Burris fastfire II seems like it would be a better choice for me with the Chaos rail,at least until Cameron puts out the rail hes planning that extends 4 inchs back further,i just think it looks and aims better when the scopes a bit farther back over the receiver.

akpou12_1.jpg

AK-IronDot%20Mount%20Small.JPG

I have the Larue AK Irondot on an AK and it works well. I was planning on possibly using this setup so I can still use the HK irons. You got me thinking on how high your EOTech sits and this would probably be the same.

704109013_DD_Micro-2.jpg

I belive that you want your optic as low as possible I have no use for something that makes my optic too high things like Eotech are designed for flat top uppers when used this way work fine, when put on a Saiga or AK it's my opinion that they are too freaking high above the barrel. Same rason I don't uses a Kobra.

What you want is some type of mini dot if it's your only sighting device you need a very good one.

Just got the Burris Fastfire 2 yesterday,as stated by Vitamink, this things sweet :up: Im still waiting on my Chaos rail but i mounted it temporarily to my other S-12 with a Halo rail.It sits low and lines up perfect with the site plain,not to high/not to low.This things tiny but performs like any larger dot set up.Its well built and the thing i like most is theres very little messing around with it once its sited in. The dot has a sensor that adjusts automatically to the light conditions,its always a perfect dot..also it has a battery saver mode,whenever your done useing the dot just place the protective cover on and it saves the battery juice,pull it off and its ready to rock&roll,no fumbling with buttons or switches...the normal battery life is like 3-5 YEARS! I think this is the perfect red dot for S-12's with Chaos rails that wont be useing fixed sites.

BURRIS-FAST-FIRE-B.jpg

I have HK sights front and rear. The front sight is on the gas block, and is rigid. The rear sight however, is on the dust cover, which moves around everywhere.

The rear sight cannot be adjusted far enough to the left to be on target. Part of the problem is that the dust cover is so loose, and there is no cure for that that I know of, that the rear sight moves around and will not settle in one place. Even a slight amount of movement of the rear sight translates to a large displacement of the POI.

Grab your dust cover and see how much it moves. It's not like the dust cover on a FAL, where an aftermarket dust cover can be indexed on the receiver and bolted in place with clamps. It's just not a good place to mount a rear sight, or a sight of any kind for that matter.

Mounting the rear HK where the original front sight was on the rear of the gas tube won't help much, as the drum is several different size peeps or ghost rings. If it is mounted very far from the eye, it doesn't work right.

If anyone has done something else that works, please post a picture and description here. I suspect that others like myself would be interested in good solutions.

I'm sticking with HK sights and for the Fast Fire, the extended Chaos quad top when Cameron throws it on the market. It is a shotty and if you use the HKs for back up iron sights and mount a red dot on something solid, you'll be fine. With the irons, concentrate on the front sight like shooting combat pistol or even using a trap/bird gun that only has the front bead and you will make hits.