check the story...good to know that our government isn't so easily pushed around....oh wait...

WASHINGTON – Two nuclear-powered Russian attack submarines have been patrolling in international waters off the East Coast for several days, in activity reminiscent of the Cold War, defense officials said Tuesday.

U.S. Northern Command would not comment on the Russian submarines' movement. But in a prepared statement, Northern Command spokesman Michael Kucharek acknowledged the patrols and said the U.S. has been monitoring the two submarines.

Two senior U.S. officials, however, said the submarines had been patrolling several hundred miles off the coast and so far had done nothing to provoke U.S. military concerns. The officials provided details on condition of anonymity in order to discuss intelligence reports.

While the incident raises eyebrows, it did not trigger the more intense reaction by the U.S. military that Russia prompted when two of its bombers buzzed an American aircraft carrier in the western Pacific in February 2008. U.S. fighter planes intercepted the two Russian fighters, including one that flew directly over the USS Nimitz twice at an altitude of about 2,000 feet.

The event did not escalate beyond that, but it signaled a more aggressive military agenda by Moscow.

The latest incident, which was first reported by The New York Times, comes amid increased Russian military activity in the region, and as the Obama administration works to thaw tense relations with Moscow over plans for a missile defense system in Central Europe.

Just last week a senior Pentagon official said the administration is looking at options for the plan, which would install 10 interceptors in Poland and a radar system in the Czech Republic. Assistant Secretary of Defense Alexander Vershbow told Congress members that the Obama administration is looking at various configurations as part of its review of missile defense plans.

Russia, meanwhile, conducted naval exercises with Venezuela last year in the Caribbean and sent one of its warships through the Panama Canal for the first time since World War II. The exercises with Venezuela were the first deployment of Russian ships to the Western Hemisphere since the Cold War.

Officials said they became aware of the most recent submarine activity off the East Coast early on through intelligence sources and were not notified by Moscow in advance of the patrols. They said the submarines have not crossed into U.S. waters, which extend 12 miles out into the ocean.

The statement issued by Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command said, "We have been monitoring them during transit and recognize the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law."

Edited by Vultite

I'm not worried. I spent 6 years on Nuc subs, and many months playing cat and mouse with them. They are fast, deep diving(due to their titanium hull), and very noisey. Their best sub the Akula(typhoon), dwarfed our largest sub(ohio), their the same length, but the akula is 3 times the displacement. Our newest sonar is so good that a sub sitting in port, can hear 400 mile out to sea. And if their out at sea, they can hear a whale fart a 1000 miles away. More than likely we have 1 or several more SSN's trailing them, they always do, it's part of our operational readiness training. The Russians do this every so often to let us know they are still around, even in a very diminished capacity. The russian Red Banner Fleet is just a limp pennent, compared to what they were in the 80's and 90's.

Saluting all our troops, on the ground, in the air, and on or beneath the waves.

Here's to you HERO'S

HUZZAH!! HUZZAH!! HUZZAH!!

Edited by Gothmog
I'm not worried. I spent 6 years on Nuc subs, and many months playing cat and mouse with them. They are fast, deep diving(due to their titanium hull), and very noisey. Their best sub the Akula(typhoon), dwarfed our largest sub(ohio), their the same length, but the akula is 3 times the displacement. Our newest sonar is so good that a sub sitting in port, can hear 400 mile out to sea. And if their out at sea, they can hear a whale fart a 1000 miles away. More than likely we have 1 or several more SSN's trailing them, they always do, it's part of our operational readiness training. The Russians do this every so often to let us know they are still around, even in a very diminished capacity. The russian Red Banner Fleet is just a limp pennent, compared to what they were in the 80's and 90's.

Saluting all our troops, on the ground, in the air, and on or beneath the waves.

Here's to you HERO'S

HUZZAH!! HUZZAH!! HUZZAH!!

Yeah, we have been playing these games for over half a century, my Pops was a "bubble-head" on a boomer, the SSBN Thomas Jefferson, doing the same thing to the Ruskys. And the cold war has never stopped under the sea.

The ones to be concerned about are the Chinese. Not to long ago a Chinese diesel boat surfaced in the CENTER of a U.S. carrier group, to our surprise. That kinda shit is why we use the new generation active sonar that Greenpeace is so pissed about. The Chinese are trying to play along with us & the Ruskys, but their inept allot of times, like that time a few years back when one of our planes "accidentally" knocked the Chinese Fighter jet piloted by Chineese pilot named "Wong Way"(no I didn't make that up, that was really the pronounciation of his name, you just can't make this shit up! :rolleyes: ) out of the air when he tried to fly to close & spurred an international incident.

And I second that Salute to all you guys & gals currently serving & my fellow veterans. Civis have no idea all the bullshit one has to "suck up" while serving, to keep us secure.

God Bless You. :up::beer:

Edited by Paulyski

"Off the East Coast" is also known as the second largest ocean on earth. If russian subs arent in the atlantic, i dont know what the point of having a naval force is, you want them to stick to the indian ocean or something? Still sounds less threatening than building a system of missile silos pointed at you, from your own back yard.

PS: End the US military occupation abroad. Homelands are best defended from home.

.... PS: End the US military occupation abroad. Homelands are best defended from home.

That statement sounds like something from the MTV School of Military Strategy.

I am damn glad that our military is over there fighting the same fanatical morons that have proved that they are more then willing to come over here and kill civilians on American soil.

A nuclear sub on our east coast is more then capable of hitting any US target of importance. We are not talking about the middle of the Atlantic.

Hardly, but I am more than willing to disagree on global military strategy, as i know very few people that seem to have the slightest understanding of it.

As for those fanatical morons we need to stop "over there, before they come over here", i suppose you mean the kind of people who live in the Federal Republic of Germany, who support nearly 70,000 US troops inside their Republic, more than the DMZ of korea, which is for all practical purposes is an active war zone under a cease fire, right? I mean, those pesky germans, always plotting to blow up skyscrapers in the US, arent they? how about the other 150,000 military personnel in 143 other nations? All of those are protecting us from our enemies, right? Can you even name 10 nation states who form a military threat the US, let alone the other 133? Please, give me a break.

Yes, a military sub is temporarily capable of launching a missile attack on a target "Several hundred miles" off shore, but that is international waters, and the reason nation-states have navies is to patrol international waters, that is nothing new, at all. On the other hand, a permanent missile station in Poland is not only "Several hundred miles" from Russia, it's permanent. If you dont want to see a continued global escalation of military activity by competing superpowers, how about we stop letting our government, the world leader in military interference around the world, escalate its global military presence, when the real threat to its security seems to come primarily from home, and countries that it has no steady relationship with, or with whom it completely F'ed up in its last attempt to dominate the will of a nation-state, resulting in blowback and national resentment?

Im so sorry that the shortest route to cuba goes within 300 miles of the US coast, but, you know, Cuba is pretty close to the US, isnt it?

Much ado about nothing.

Hardly, but I am more than willing to disagree on global military strategy, as i know very few people that seem to have the slightest understanding of it.

As for those fanatical morons we need to stop "over there, before they come over here", i suppose you mean the kind of people who live in the Federal Republic of Germany, who support nearly 70,000 US troops inside their Republic, more than the DMZ of korea, which is for all practical purposes is an active war zone under a cease fire, right? I mean, those pesky germans, always plotting to blow up skyscrapers in the US, arent they? how about the other 150,000 military personnel in 143 other nations? All of those are protecting us from our enemies, right? Can you even name 10 nation states who form a military threat the US, let alone the other 133? Please, give me a break.

Yes, a military sub is temporarily capable of launching a missile attack on a target "Several hundred miles" off shore, but that is international waters, and the reason nation-states have navies is to patrol international waters, that is nothing new, at all. On the other hand, a permanent missile station in Poland is not only "Several hundred miles" from Russia, it's permanent. If you dont want to see a continued global escalation of military activity by competing superpowers, how about we stop letting our government, the world leader in military interference around the world, escalate its global military presence, when the real threat to its security seems to come primarily from home, and countries that it has no steady relationship with, or with whom it completely F'ed up in its last attempt to dominate the will of a nation-state, resulting in blowback and national resentment?

Im so sorry that the shortest route to cuba goes within 300 miles of the US coast, but, you know, Cuba is pretty close to the US, isnt it?

Much ado about nothing.

Poland is more than happy to have any and all assistance to protect herself from Russia. And in return we are steadfastly loyal. There's no public call to pull Polish troops out of the coalition like the Brit-Pansies. Those Ba----ds have been interfering with & attacking Poland for centuries. If you don't remember, POLAND'S solidarity movement was the determining factor in the collapse of the soviet union... And don't EVEN start that propaganda shit about Regan, the CIA didn't know the wall was coming down until they heard the bricks hitting the street. Yes the arms race helped, but the Poles put their asses out there & did the grunt work. Now my countrymen (who have THE MOST to lose) will do whatever is nessacary to avoid Russian controll coming about yet again. A very distant relative of mine Casimir Pulaski, actually had to flee Poland for his life back in the late 1700's because even back then we had to fight Russian influence & they put a bounty oh his head. Countless others died at the hand of Stalin as political decadents.

I say very distant because my line of the family came over in 1914. And yes, there are about 5 or 6 different ways that our names got translated when we came to the states.

post-19652-1249486485_thumb.png

Edited by Paulyski
Yep good to have a real menace to train with. It is hard to maintain a state of combat readiness without a real enemy. They are doing us a favor!

I keep telling people about this. I think America has lost its sense of identity since the cold war ended. We have no clear enemy to unite against other than ourselves.

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

Much ado about nothing.

Poland is more than happy to have any and all assistance to protect herself from Russia. And in return we are steadfastly loyal. There's no public call to pull Polish troops out of the coalition like the Brit-Pansies. Those Ba----ds have been interfering with & attacking Poland for centuries. If you don't remember, POLAND'S solidarity movement was the determining factor in the collapse of the soviet union... And don't EVEN start that propaganda shit about Regan, the CIA didn't know the wall was coming down until they heard the bricks hitting the street. Yes the arms race helped, but the Poles put their asses out there & did the grunt work. Now my countrymen (who have THE MOST to lose) will do whatever is nessacary to avoid Russian controll coming about yet again. A very distant relative of mine Casimir Pulaski, actually had to flee Poland for his life back in the late 1700's because even back then we had to fight Russian influence & they put a bounty oh his head. Countless others died at the hand of Stalin as political decadents.

I say very distant because my line of the family came over in 1914. And yes, there are about 5 or 6 different ways that our names got translated when we came to the states.

:lolol: Yeah what we really need are more allies like Poland! :lolol:

I flat out don't worry about nuclear war or any major war for that matter. If it happens I don't suppose there is too much I an do about it. I don't think the major powers are looking to go at it with nukes or invade us on the ground. Rouge groups getting nukes, maybe. I mostly worry about our internal threat.

The whole idea of having our military spread all over the world strategically is find of lost on you, isn't it? We should just keep all of our military here in the US, till they are needed somewhere, right. I can only assume from the example about that the only reason we have 13 U.S. Major Military Bases and Installations in Hawaii with a combined total personnel of about 45,567 is to keep those pesky radical Hawaiian separatists in line?

Sure, if we stop, they'll stop right? :rolleyes: Peace is so simple when you are young and know all the answers. Even Obama got a rude awakening when he was briefed on our military situation in the Middle East and shelved his plan to just bring everyone home.

BTW, If the US had been intend on dominating the world as you insist, I would think that we would have managed to annex a few countries by now.

Much ado about nothing.

There are no missiles there, haven't you heard? That whole Monroe Doctrine thing with Kennedy (the only "good" one.) That is the kind of tactic you can only pull off when you are the big dog on the block and most of the people with any brains on this side of the Mississippi are damn glad of it.

IF those missiles had been installed there, the USSR military may not have been convinced that they could not win a toe to toe war with the US.

Much ado about nothing.

:lolol: Yeah what we really need are more allies like Poland! :lolol:

Well I guess we're not quite as screwed as I thought. We must at least have someone in the government that sees the value of a loyal friend. Poland, if your not aware is of great strategic significance. They have a huge coastline on the Baltic sea. The Baltic is a sea route with staging grounds in the heart of Europe. Kind of nice to have a good Buddie who will let you stage your army & build airbases somewhere if someone goes after you & yours & you need to bring the party to their house.

Yeah. True, the cold war between 2 superpowers IS over... But the cold war between 3 superpowers started right after that.

The Russians went broke. But they have rebounded. They unlike us are self sufficient in oil. They are using it as leverage against 1/2 of Europe. Their not in the same hole as we are in now.

Now we are going broke. We are sinking down to their level, & they see it.

Yes the rest of the world hates us & Israel. ("You shall be hated by all nations") So Why, With your great understanding of Geopolitical Military Strategy would you scoff at having an allie of Poland? Would you rather have allies like france? If it eludes you they always seem down for a fight, but they run away when they break a nail... Poland throughout history has always acted honorably. They accepted & helped people, which is why so many Jews settled there. They used to elect their kings, That's where the "dump pollack" term came about. Russia has always tried to influence, conquer & control them & they may take a while, but they ALWAYS eventually overcome. And if you believe that the Polish Lack fighting spirit, research this, Yeah we got stomped in WWII, but Poland Had to deal with the blitzkrieg-methed-up-Nazis before anyone else because all the pansy-assed allies that you seem to want to "like" us, appeased Hitler with Poland.

Thanks Big-Joe! <_<

So why don't we need allies like Poland? What kind of allies would You like to have? :unsure:

You may want to buy a map for your wall. ;) There some nice decorative ones in cartography shops or travel stores. :up:

Edited by Paulyski