Safe keeping? Whats wrong with this picture?

Is that legal?

My husband always says that if he had to use a gun in our home, we'd use something other then the Saigas and the AK because he wouldn't want the police to take those for fear of never seeing them again. But what the hells the point if they can take ALL your guns?

I have taken firearms into safekeeping at the site of a burglary when there is no home owner present. They were returned as soon as the legitimate owner was located.

Would you prefer that they remain in your home, unsecured, so that anyone can easily steal them?

Yeah, it happened to a friend of mine. Unfortunately he had gotten a D.U.I. 6 months prior, so the police would not release his riffles to him for something like 4 years because of the misdemeanor charge. With some newer federal guidelines as their reason....

Well, come time to pick them up, the police informed him that they had been destroyed. He did not make enough to pay a lawyer to sue so he just lost out. He had 2 44 mags, 1 Redhawk & 1 Browning(?) lever action (John Wayne style) in hawk that he was able to get back eventually though.

GET A SAFE!!!! BOLT IT TO THE CEMENT FLOOR!!!!

I have taken firearms into safekeeping at the site of a burglary when there is no home owner present. They were returned as soon as the legitimate owner was located.

Would you prefer that they remain in your home, unsecured, so that anyone can easily steal them?

I supposse thats a good point. If no one is home. Whenever I think about home invasion, I always think of it in terms of us being at home in the middle of the night or something. But I guess that's not always the case.

I think i would prefure a family member/friend or my neighbor watch over them before the police hauled them away :unsure: If my home was broken into while i was away,my neighbors would be there to watch over things,i would do the same for them...thats the way it is here. In the video it doesnt state weather the home owner was home,on vacation or went for a pack of smokes.

YUP... use a Safe, especially if you have others living with you that you do not want to have handling your firearms during your absence.

Since I live in an apartment, I do not have a secure bolt-down for a safe... in addition, safes that can be moved attract attention and are likely to be stolen IF there is a break-in. I have a very inconspicuous hiding spot that I use whenever I leave my residence for any extended period. In addition, I use trigger-locks "just in case". The *LAST* thing I want to do is open up my door and be facing the muzzle of my Saiga12...

YUP... use a Safe, especially if you have others living with you that you do not want to have handling your firearms during your absence.

Since I live in an apartment, I do not have a secure bolt-down for a safe... in addition, safes that can be moved attract attention and are likely to be stolen IF there is a break-in. I have a very inconspicuous hiding spot that I use whenever I leave my residence for any extended period. In addition, I use trigger-locks "just in case". The *LAST* thing I want to do is open up my door and be facing the muzzle of my Saiga12...

It would be damn hard for most burglers to make off with a 200-300 lb safe. The police can't open it without a warant, & it would at least slow down a prepared thief. Secured real good or not. (make sure to at least use lag bolts into floor studs so it cant tip :ded: )

That being said, don't do like my friends step-dad did & put your safe in your shop surrounded by your metal cutting tools. :rolleyes:

Or you too will have reps from fort-knox safe co. at your place inspecting, because they just cant believe that the safe they made failed.

Keep your guns safe with more guns!

IMAG0058.jpg

LOL, that's funny!

We have a giant locking box for ours. There is no way any one man could steal it, he'd need several helpers. I can barely lift the lid on the thing. It's a monster.

Makes me wish I could afford a gunsafe, I have a mosin. an 870, my saiga, and a marlin .22, but nothing to keep them in.

Anything is better than nothing. Save up a little cash and pick up a Stack-On safe (not the metal cabinets they sell). I got a 10 gun safe from them for a little over $200 (I can vouch that you can fit more than 10 guns in it). I'm pretty sure it's not rated for fire or anything, but it will give you a much better chance of not having them stolen. Bolt that sucker to the floor and wall, and you'll have 100 times the protection you have with nothing.

I'd love to get a giant safe, that weighs more than an elephant, that can't withstand a volcano eruption, but I just can't afford it right now. Plus, I wouldn't have anywhere to put it. But my Stack-On gets the job done for the time being.

Just something to think about.

yah....i'm in the "get a safe" camp

a decent compromise safe is the Sentry 14 gun fireproof safe.....and yes you can get more than 14 guns in there.....gotta think outside the box a bit to arrange them though.

Heavy sonofabitch....good fire rating......you need to be determined and have the tools if you are going to bust into that one.

I might buy that, but first I'd want to know what they did to secure other valuables that were in the house. Did the police just take the guns or did they take the jewelry for "safekeeping" too? My point is that this may have a lot less to do with keeping the owners property safe than it does with the fact that the property in this case happens to be guns. Due to the fact that an actual burglary took place here I don't have a real big problem with this case but it does start to bring up questions about what other circumstances police think they can take guns off of a property just because they think they "could" get stolen.

a decent compromise safe is the Sentry 14 gun fireproof safe.....and yes you can get more than 14 guns in there.....gotta think outside the box a bit to arrange them though.

Heavy sonofabitch....good fire rating......you need to be determined and have the tools if you are going to bust into that one.

But what if you have 50 guns,or 150,or 300??? I know guys that do.No room for 20 safes, not to mention the cost.I can see the headlines if a homeowner with 50 + guns gets broken into and the police haul them off for "safe keeping".

But what if you have 50 guns,or 150,or 300??? I know guys that do.No room for 20 safes, not to mention the cost.I can see the headlines if a homeowner with 50 + guns gets broken into and the police haul them off for "safe keeping".

If you have that many guns & the government catches wind, you better have the "correct" political views or history shows that someone like janet reno will try to take them. If you don't let them, the ATF will burn your house down with you & your guns inside.

The answer to your question however is to fortify a basement's entry way.

Ask Banshee. He's posted pics of his gun vault before. Guns all over every wall. <drooooooool>

I'd love to have an entire room devoted to guns. :unsure:

I might buy that, but first I'd want to know what they did to secure other valuables that were in the house. Did the police just take the guns or did they take the jewelry for "safekeeping" too? My point is that this may have a lot less to do with keeping the owners property safe than it does with the fact that the property in this case happens to be guns. Due to the fact that an actual burglary took place here I don't have a real big problem with this case but it does start to bring up questions about what other circumstances police think they can take guns off of a property just because they think they "could" get stolen.

Buy it or not, it is immaterial to me. I do not "think" I can do these things, I can. People and children are not apt to kill themselves, or worst me, with your stolen iPOD if I leave that unsecured. Guns are different, which is one of the main reasons that many here own them. It is pretty rare to take a call where someone has been killed with jewelry ...

Taking an item into safekeeping is a pain in the butt, specially many items. I hate to do it and only do so as a necessity or as a courtesy someone. They must be inventoried into evidence and that means a trip back to headquarters. When I am going through a home after a burglary I look for the names of family written on something in plain view. If you are going on a trip it might be a great idea to leave a contact list in a obvious place, including your cell phone number.

Trying to secure a site that has been broken into is a problem that most every patrol cop faces. We never had the time, resources or manpower to deal with it. I would be in favor of local law that would allow the police to call a local licensed and bonded locksmith to turn the site over to so that the home/business could be secured pending the location of the owner. I hated leaving folks property to the whims of the hoods in the area, after all they now know what is where and what they will need to get it, plus the place is open!

Perhaps homeowners insurance could step up to the place, they do have a vested interest in preventing further theft. It is one of those problems that I never saw handled elegantly in many years of patrol work. I would be interested in hearing from officers from other jurisdictions if they had resolved the matter more satisfactorily.

IF there were family on hand or neighbors that I could verify with the owners as trustworthy I would much prefer to leave them with these people. If the police were to leave my guns with my neighbors I would never see them again! I live in the deep hood!

Buy it or not, it is immaterial to me. I do not "think" I can do these things, I can. People and children are not apt to kill themselves, or worst me, with your stolen iPOD if I leave that unsecured. Guns are different, which is one of the main reasons that many here own them. It is pretty rare to take a call where someone has been killed with jewelry ...

Taking an item into safekeeping is a pain in the butt, specially many items. I hate to do it and only do so as a necessity or as a courtesy someone. They must be inventoried into evidence and that means a trip back to headquarters. When I am going through a home after a burglary I look for the names of family written on something in plain view. If you are going on a trip it might be a great idea to leave a contact list in a obvious place, including your cell phone number.

Trying to secure a site that has been broken into is a problem that most every patrol cop faces. We never had the time, resources or manpower to deal with it. I would be in favor of local law that would allow the police to call a local licensed and bonded locksmith to turn the site over to so that the home/business could be secured pending the location of the owner. I hated leaving folks property to the whims of the hoods in the area, after all they now know what is where and what they will need to get it, plus the place is open!

Perhaps homeowners insurance could step up to the place, they do have a vested interest in preventing further theft. It is one of those problems that I never saw handled elegantly in many years of patrol work. I would be interested in hearing from officers from other jurisdictions if they had resolved the matter more satisfactorily.

IF there were family on hand or neighbors that I could verify with the owners as trustworthy I would much prefer to leave them with these people. If the police were to leave my guns with my neighbors I would never see them again! I live in the deep hood!

I do understand you on this one. If some of my neighbors got a hold of my guns there could be some messy drivebys. Not exactly Saturday night special results... Then it would be twisted & used to restrict gun owners rights. I mean, nobody has gone on a rampage with a S-12 yet as far as I know & I hope never to see a news story with the results of that.

That being said, If you were responding to the same situation but the guns were in a secured gun-safe (not cabinet), what would you do? :unsure:

Get ready to get really mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssCPSWyE3g (read the comments)

Camon; I took your advice, I read the comments, & jumped onto the thread. I got into it with a pansy Brit & pansy Frenchman who were in the "stupid Americans & their silly guns camp". I was handing them their asses with regards to the American rationale for gun rights, then went to sleep for 5 hours. When I awoke, the video was pulled for terms of use violations.

This is the first time I have ever seen a CNN story pulled for this reason. & I have never seen a vid pulled so fast (2 days), It's also the first time I have ever seen the whole comments section deleted. :unsure: Usually the vids just go to a black screen when pulled for terms of use violations & the comments page is left in tact.

I don't have any delusions of grandeur, or think I influence the world in any special way. But I find myself like "Steve Erkle" wondering, "Did I do that?" :unsure:

Makes me wish I could afford a gunsafe, I have a mosin. an 870, my saiga, and a marlin .22, but nothing to keep them in.

Anything is better than nothing. Save up a little cash and pick up a Stack-On safe (not the metal cabinets they sell). I got a 10 gun safe from them for a little over $200 (I can vouch that you can fit more than 10 guns in it). I'm pretty sure it's not rated for fire or anything, but it will give you a much better chance of not having them stolen. Bolt that sucker to the floor and wall, and you'll have 100 times the protection you have with nothing.

I'd love to get a giant safe, that weighs more than an elephant, that can't withstand a volcano eruption, but I just can't afford it right now. Plus, I wouldn't have anywhere to put it. But my Stack-On gets the job done for the time being.

Just something to think about.

I'll definately look into that after the next few paychecks, thanks.

Azrail, having a clear contact list makes a lot of sense. What else would help? Pictures, serial numbers, type and ammo count?

I'd imagine that, as much as it would suck to have even 1 of my guns stolen in a HI while gone, it would suck even more to come back and find everything missing... and then you find out the police have everything but these 1 or 2 items.

Eric,

I can help you with this one. Everyone that owns guns should at the minimun have all of the serial numbers written down in several places. The only way that the guns can be placed onto NCIC as stolen is with the serial number of the firearm. When you write them down, make sure that you include the make and model number as well and pictures are always helpful.

It is a good rule of thumb to take a weekend and write down all of the serial numbers for your electronic items as well. If it has a serial number, then it can be entered as stolen, especially the flat screen televisions. These are in such demand on the streets that I could sell one out of the back of my police car in some neighborhoods that I patrol.

If an item is recovered and the serial number comes back as stolen, then a hit confirmation is sent to the original department confirming the stolen status. The item can then be returned back to the original owner unless they have someone in custody. If there is going to be a trial, then the items will be held pending the outcome of the trial and then returned. All of this is only possible if the serial numbers are entered though.

If you are going out of town, contact your local precinct and have them place your residence on general patrol. Provide them with the dates requested for patrol and contact numbers for an emergency. Most departments will assist you in your request. I know that I conduct at least two or three of these patrols on every shift that I work. I also make it a point to leave one of my cards near the front door to let the home owner know that I have been by the residence in their absence.

Hope this helps.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

This is VERY important and good information. Thanks, Georgia PD and Azrial for adding insight and the tips. I recently bought a Pelican 1150 case for my 10mm Glock, and since Botach was having a sale, bought all the mags needed to fill it up on the bottom with the gun on top. I thought it would be cool and save me time from having to reload the gun at the range. Net effect, I now have a VERY small portable compact case with a pistol and 11 mags loaded to the tune of 165 rds. in it. I wondered immediately when I got it all loaded up, "where the hell am I going to put THIS when I am gone?" I don't have a gun safe for my other weapons either, including the USAS12 that I had to register with the police and ATF., but the pistol and it's potential liability worry me the most. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and if I can get a secure place to store it, may still be, but the net effect didn't hit me until I put the package together. If some thugs found this, they could have a damn heyday.

"Would you prefer that they remain in your home, unsecured, so that anyone can easily steal them?"

My comments were in response to this quote. It implies that the guns would be removed to protect the homeowner from losing his property. The term "safekeeping" implies that as well. As you have now said yourself this is not true at all. It is done because someone on the scene has determined that for the protection of others as in "People and children are not apt to kill themselves, or worst me, with your stolen iPOD if I leave that unsecured".

I'm not saying there is necessarily something wrong with that in every case but I am saying CALL IT WHAT IT IS. Now, how about if the police show up at someone's door for say a dog barking complaint or something and there is nobody home and the door is just slightly ajar. There is a gun visible through the window inside the house. Can the police just decide to go in the house because it is not secured and take the gun because it "could" be taken by someone else? Maybe you can tell me.