The Usefulness of the AK-47 as a Survival Rifle

Pretty good argument for a survival board. Do most AK'o'philes feel the same love for Dragunov sniper rifles?

I see AKs as a cheap and reliable 1 to 200 yard weapon. If accuracy were better, I'd say it is effective too. In a SHTF and toewicki scenario, I think you'd want to be able to effectively engage at farther distances... the further the better. And because of ammo shortages, the more accurate 1 shot approach would be much better than spraying x39 ammo in full auto mode. I guess it depends on the defintion of survival.

Well, he almost got it right.

I'll take a Saiga over a WASR any day as I have owed both.

After conversion the parts commonality and availability is very good.

Any prepper worth his salt has a stash of spare parts already.

People who would recoil at the sight of an AK also recoil at the sight of an AR, their scared of guns.

Professional shooters know the AK for what it is, a reliable 2-3MOA weapon that they will use themselves if they need to. Just like some of our guys do today.

As a prepper myself, I follow the maxim "prepare for the worst, hope for the best"

I run AK's because I'm preparing for being cut off from a steady supply of CLP :eek: , and TEOTWAWKI may just happen in bad weather with lots of ice, snow, mud, and crap that would jam up a highly tuned and accurate rifle that hasn't been cleaned in a week because, I don't know, maybe you're busy trying to stay freaking alive!!

I can afford to run whatever the hell I want and I still choose the AK. tough, reliable, and great caliber for realistic encouters in the PAW.

Life is like a box of ammo... lol.. The more the better to stay alive..

Functionality is optimum with the AK with like what 7 moving parts (or less) total.

Trigger, hammer, firing pin, extractor, bolt, piston, and a couple springs..

And lose tolerances for us to make some errors when converting/restoring....

I would like at least 1000 rounds for my AK and 440 (haha) for the MN 91/30 just to be somewhat comfy and 500 for my .40 cal pistol coming in next week.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing