Conversion / Re-use stock trigger guard

It's adds a goot bit of complexity to a S 12 conversion. It's easy as grease on a 7.62 or .223 though.

I used the Aluminum saigatechusa on my first conversion, the tromix DIY on my second S 12 conversion and reused the factory guard on my .223.

The Aluminum Saigatechusa guard is the most comfortable of the 3 setups for me. The Tromix guard and factory guard have a slight pinch point where the guard meets the grip. The Saigatechusa Aluminum guard has a smooth detail machined in it that relieves the pinch point.

If you often wear gloves when you shoot; the Tromix DIY would work fine. For first timers the factory guard usually gets broke as it's weaker than the welds holding it on.

To wrap up this post I'll say: Get a Saigatechusa or Tromix DIY guard. It'll make you life a lot easier and you won't have to cut a pistol grip hole.

Yes, there is a stickied topic on here that gives directions.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=40886

ARGH! Photobucket went over the limit!!!!!!

I will have to try and edit the pics from a Flickr account. Sorry guys. Hopefully the pics will be back up and working when September 1st rolls around.

I always use the stock trigger guard, unless the customer asks for something else. I also reuse the factory safety stop.

Well I WAS going to wait to tear it apart till my shipment from Carolina arrived, one thing lead to another and now its apart.

Glad you mentioned the safety stop. I ground off the rear trigger guard rivet. I then drilled out the front rivet but the housing does not budge. I guess I need to drill larger. I did notice that eventually I will be removing the safety lever stop.

What do you use or re use for a safety lever stop? I bet it is clear in those pictures that are not up right now, Can't wait to see them before I go any further. I don't want to a big OOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS!

I always use the stock trigger guard, unless the customer asks for something else. I also reuse the factory safety stop.

Well I WAS going to wait to tear it apart till my shipment from Carolina arrived, one thing lead to another and now its apart.

Glad you mentioned the safety stop. I ground off the rear trigger guard rivet. I then drilled out the front rivet but the housing does not budge. I guess I need to drill larger. I did notice that eventually I will be removing the safety lever stop.

What do you use or re use for a safety lever stop? I bet it is clear in those pictures that are not up right now, Can't wait to see them before I go any further. I don't want to a big OOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS!

I left the safety stop in place, using a Dremel cut off wheel to remove the stock trigger guard. I then moved the stock trigger guard forwards to the new trigger location and TIG welded it back on (bolts or rivets would work just as well):

Saiga12PGcloseup.jpg

I left the safety stop in place, using a Dremel cut off wheel to remove the stock trigger guard. I then moved the stock trigger guard forwards to the new trigger location and TIG welded it back on (bolts or rivets would work just as well):

Saiga12PGcloseup.jpg

THANKS for the picture. I will follow your game plan.