Creative Storage Idea for the Home Shotgun

Sorry, just posted something neat I happened to run across. Mods are welcome to delete if need be.

If folks gotta signup to play and you have no time or interest in checking out something on another site then I guess I'll keep the info all to myself :D

Cheers

HarvKY

Sorry, just posted something neat I happened to run across. Mods are welcome to delete if need be.

If folks gotta signup to play and you have no time or interest in checking out something on another site then I guess I'll keep the info all to myself :D

Cheers

HarvKY

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-7166-1251389786_thumb.jpgpost-7166-1251389792_thumb.jpg

Here's the article...

What you need:

1) The physical lock - $20 - I bought one off ebay, no brand indicated, and it was an ultra simple device - 2 wires, no built in timer or anything. When connected to a power source, the solenoid retracts and you can open it. No power - it stays locked (you can use a handcuff key to override). This is the key to the safety of the whole thing. If someone decided to rip the gun off the wall, they would still find a round unchambered and pump unable to be slid - meaning this lock is what keeps the gun safe, not the height on the wall or keypad or anything. (I also sent a few notes to my local police department asking for an old one, but didn't get any response)

2) Transformer - $20 - I used a 12v 1.5A one from Radio Shack. I cut off the provided tip and separated the wires into + and - (use a volt meter - if you voltage comes up negative, you'd attached the + on the meter to the - on the transformer)

3) A Keypad - $40 - I used this one found on ebay. If I were to do this project again, I would consider using a keypad with backlit numbers - though I have flashlights handy so it's not a huge issue.

Assembly:

The trick is figuring out which wires to connect. Since you're only using 12V, 1.5A, you can hold the leads all day and not feel the least bit shocked.

The keypad acts as a switch, relay, and timer - that is, not only will it open the lock, but you can program it to decide how long you want the lock to stay open - i used the 5 second default. There are 9 wires: 4 are overrides (white, orange, yellow, purple) - i bent these up and shoved them in the wall - didn't use them a bit. Power: Brown is the supply (+) and Blue is the ground (-). Relay: Black is the common, Red is NO (normal open) and Grey is NC (normal closed).

You only need 3 wire nuts.

Nut 1: Keypad Brown (power +) and Red (NO), and power supply +

Nut 2: Keypad Blue (power -) and Gray (NC), power supply -, and lock Black

Nut 3: Keypad Black (common) and Lock Red

Plug it in, it beeps, and start with the programming. I programmed everything sitting at a desk BEFORE I started mounting things to the wall.

The lock is bolted to the metal strip you see, which is in turn lag bolted to studs. The power source is inside the wall (I plugged the transformer into an outlet, and then ran the wire inside the wall). Due to the studs, I cut a channel out of the drywall for the wires between the lock and keypad. I filled it in with paste, sanded, and repainted.

I having it behind a door as it will between me and a potential adversary. We hang our robes on the back of that door so when the door is fully open, you can't see the gun at all.

Maybe pull pics & post them?

Copy & paste content?

ect..ect...

:blues:

I think we posted at the same time :haha:

Yep. Apparently my psychotic... I mean psychic powers were projecting themselves across the country & you unconsciously picked up on them. :ph34r:

That is a neat gun lock but the location sucks. If you are for example, in the kitchen making a sandwich and opening a tasty brew, suddenly bad guys kick in your front door! You have instantly lost access to your shotgun! Plus if you were trying to get the gun when the door gets busted in, the bad guy has you squished in between the wall and door. I would recommend storing the gun closest to where you hang around the most in the house. Heck, I just taped my TV remote control to my shotgun. I'm working on a shotgun beverage holder! :rolleyes:

That is a neat gun lock but the location sucks. If you are for example, in the kitchen making a sandwich and opening a tasty brew, suddenly bad guys kick in your front door! You have instantly lost access to your shotgun! Plus if you were trying to get the gun when the door gets busted in, the bad guy has you squished in between the wall and door. I would recommend storing the gun closest to where you hang around the most in the house. ...

Exactly. Good idea, Bad placement.

Keep your defensive firearm either on you, very near you, or in the direction that you would be most likely to run in a home invasion. I just wear mine all the time...

I agree with both of you compleatly.

However I think that is the guy's bedroom. He said they hang their robes on the door, it looks like an interior door to me & I have seen that type of clothes hook used on interior doors primarily.

But still, if you are sleeping, folder/sawed-off/pistol under the mattress would be better.

That way you would have a chance if you woke up to someone standing over you.

Great idea if you don't have a safe though.

But I'd put it in the closet.

This is a great idea maybe for when you are away from home for a short period of time and don't want to open your safe/don't have a safe. Then once you get home, you can easily acess your weapon and all is good. HarvKY, don't take it personal, they were booing because when you went to the link you provided it said you must register to see the page. It didn't link directly to the mod.

I bought an Army box off ebay that is about 12" wide and 6" deep and 32-33 inches tall. I store my S-12 with the stock folded in it. I put a firm foam pad in the bottom. I haven't carpeted it yet, mmaybe a good project for today. It seals like the regular Army clamp tops and is waterproof and dust proof, but HEAVY. It is inconspiciuos when in my gun cleaning/storage room and with all of the other ammo boxes around, I'm sure no-one would ever think a bad-ass shotgun would be inside of it due to it's length. Easily accessible. I will probably figure out a way to add a lock to it and a way to mount it theft proof in my Bronco once I get it carpeted. It was pretty cheap and it is Army indestructable.

why am I apparantly the only person around that commonly stores their loaded long arms for HD use muzzle down?

try it with an unloaded gun. see how fast you can get the thing mounted butt down, and how much space you need, and how long it takes you to pull on an empty chamber, then try it my way while backing away from the door. that 1/2 a second or so is a big deal in a situation like that.

....its not like you have the thing out in the woods leaning against a tree like that. we are talking about your home. Hopefully you dont have a dirt floor!

why am I apparantly the only person around that commonly stores their loaded long arms for HD use muzzle down?

try it with an unloaded gun. see how fast you can get the thing mounted butt down, and how much space you need, and how long it takes you to pull on an empty chamber, then try it my way while backing away from the door. that 1/2 a second or so is a big deal in a situation like that.

....its not like you have the thing out in the woods leaning against a tree like that. we are talking about your home. Hopefully you dont have a dirt floor!

So true. My Tromix hangs muzzle down, with the bolt held open, with pistol grip at the height of my right hand. Its pretty much all one motion to grab it by pistol grip and bring it up while chambering a round with the left hand.

I agree, muzzle down for your HD gun.

Maybe pull pics & post them?

Copy & paste content?

ect..ect...

:blues:

I think we posted at the same time :haha:

Yep. Apparently my psychotic... I mean psychic powers were projecting themselves across the country & you unconsciously picked up on them. :ph34r:

That's scary, it's almost like you have ESPN or something dude! lol.

post-7166-1251389786_thumb.jpgpost-7166-1251389792_thumb.jpg

Here's the article...

What you need:

1) The physical lock - $20 - I bought one off ebay, no brand indicated, and it was an ultra simple device - 2 wires, no built in timer or anything. When connected to a power source, the solenoid retracts and you can open it. No power - it stays locked (you can use a handcuff key to override). This is the key to the safety of the whole thing. If someone decided to rip the gun off the wall, they would still find a round unchambered and pump unable to be slid - meaning this lock is what keeps the gun safe, not the height on the wall or keypad or anything. (I also sent a few notes to my local police department asking for an old one, but didn't get any response)

2) Transformer - $20 - I used a 12v 1.5A one from Radio Shack. I cut off the provided tip and separated the wires into + and - (use a volt meter - if you voltage comes up negative, you'd attached the + on the meter to the - on the transformer)

3) A Keypad - $40 - I used this one found on ebay. If I were to do this project again, I would consider using a keypad with backlit numbers - though I have flashlights handy so it's not a huge issue.

Assembly:

The trick is figuring out which wires to connect. Since you're only using 12V, 1.5A, you can hold the leads all day and not feel the least bit shocked.

The keypad acts as a switch, relay, and timer - that is, not only will it open the lock, but you can program it to decide how long you want the lock to stay open - i used the 5 second default. There are 9 wires: 4 are overrides (white, orange, yellow, purple) - i bent these up and shoved them in the wall - didn't use them a bit. Power: Brown is the supply (+) and Blue is the ground (-). Relay: Black is the common, Red is NO (normal open) and Grey is NC (normal closed).

You only need 3 wire nuts.

Nut 1: Keypad Brown (power +) and Red (NO), and power supply +

Nut 2: Keypad Blue (power -) and Gray (NC), power supply -, and lock Black

Nut 3: Keypad Black (common) and Lock Red

Plug it in, it beeps, and start with the programming. I programmed everything sitting at a desk BEFORE I started mounting things to the wall.

The lock is bolted to the metal strip you see, which is in turn lag bolted to studs. The power source is inside the wall (I plugged the transformer into an outlet, and then ran the wire inside the wall). Due to the studs, I cut a channel out of the drywall for the wires between the lock and keypad. I filled it in with paste, sanded, and repainted.

I having it behind a door as it will between me and a potential adversary. We hang our robes on the back of that door so when the door is fully open, you can't see the gun at all.

It's a nice way to hide a shotgun but I would prefer to keep it out of sight because of a gun hating wife. I still want it easily accessible.

A for originality and effort, but for me I wouldn't want to have to remember some code as I am still half asleep and trying to save my family...Not real good in the heat of battle...Besides if someone broke in while i wasn't home and wanted that shotgun, they would just rip it off the wall...