Saiga Tutorial / owners manual ,add yer 2 cents

OK, so , maybe Clyde thought I didn't have enough to do this month. I've been asked to write an addition to the owners manual to help the newbies who are discovering the Saiga. This is to be an effort to make a few things clearer and hopefully thin out some of the warranty -non warranty issues.

Please add a sentence or two, (Keep it short as possible) of the most needed items that need covered or clarified by a new booklet.

.............................................Thanks, Tom (VK).................... :unsure:

better explanation to gas regulator.

how to clean gas port.

HOW to get the firing pin to line the hell back up after you clean it to install it...

done it 12 times + and can still never get it first time..

also DO NOT trust the safety with a chambered round..

make that bold and red if possible,

The parts diagram is labeled with confusing words for some parts. Maybe change the names to terms we are familiar with here in the states, and use when discussing them on the forum.

And PLUS ONE on a link to the forum and the FAQ section.

And another thing....inside the cover, how about a picture of the Author, standing there at Izhmash, with Mikhail Kalashnikov on his birthday... :smoke:

I dont have a manual to look over. but off the top of my head -

Disassembly/reassembly needs to be improved, based on what I see here...some areas, like the bolt itself, are very unclear, or were, last I recall....

Gas Blind Plug needs to be addressed on the shotguns better...

handguard removal is another thing that I see repeatedly over the years here, on all models....

there should be a warranty provided in the manual, in the form of a one year certificate (last page maybe?) I know the Russians would hate to serialize the book twice, but.....

thats weird, i was just thinking about some tutorials for the (learned) bone-headed stuff I see come up here constantly, because of a half complete manual.....

" In soviet russia shotgun convert you" :D

On a more serious note I think that the manual should include some kind of information regarding the "break in" period of the shotgun.

DISCLAIMER : " I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS ALREADY ON THE MANUAL BECAUSE I HAVE STICK TO CHUCK NORRIS RULE #338 "REAL MEN DON'T NEED NO STINKING MANUALS"

Edited by REDCELL

The factory mags are notorious for having to be modified to correctly lock in the gun. Mike Davidson posted the factory instructions to mod the mags, and I redrew them and cleaned them up They are around here in a thread somewhere and you are welcome to use them if you like. This is a question that has come up quite a bit. I still have the pic if you can't find it and want it.

My thoughts... there are some common and easy things to do and a growing scale of more difficult ones.

Easy stuff and basic maintenance:

• Removing the gas plug and what to do if the gas puck won't come out
  • How to mount a sling on an S12
  • Removing the handguard
  • Removing the factory stock

What exactly is the break in period? How do you know when it's broken in?

Basic and advanced cleaning 101, or "What not to lube"

Comparison of the Saiga line up to AKs... what is actually common? Merits of the S12, S20, and .410... are they all the same?

+1 on terms definition and expand to include things like "puck, plug, tappet, piston", "regulated", "FA", "FCG", "high brass", etc.

Iron sight upgrades, Russian side mount optics, other things that can be mounted to a Saiga.

+1 on adjusting the gas plug and a description of over and undergassing - cause, effect, consequences

+1 on conversion topics

Oh shit, XYZ broke... what do I do now and where can I find a replacement part? - Warranty but also parts that might break.

Edited by EricinMaryland