DPH AK74 brakes at Carolina Shooting Supply

I just noticed that they are back in stock at CSS. I have one on the way. I will post pics of my cute little ZRussian with dimples when it comes.

I'll definitely be interested in how you like it as I've been pretty much copying your build and was debating going through the trouble of removing the front sight and replacing or going this route.

I don't have mine yet, but I am optimistic. If the brake works as well as the "REAL" 24mm brake works , I'll probably stay with it. The average person isn't as nuts as I am about authenticity (I Civil War re-enact) , and just like the look and wants it to work. Besides, with my bad shoulder, upcoming surgery and other things happening, I don't have time to mess with it.

Replacing the FSB would be the way to go ONLY if you want to be a purist and have that AK103 look as close to original as possible, or you want to mount the bayonet. I'm not expecting to do a "Chamberlain and 2nd Maine on Little Round Top" type bayonet charge anytime soon, so I really don't care about the lug. It was nice to have but...

I will keep you all posted.

Me too...end of my .223 barrel is butt :rolleyes: naked..having placed the HK style FSG back enough to allow threading or clip/screw-down muzzle device. I'd like to hear some first hand reports of the DPH clip/screw on AK74 device/ or any other temporary device. I will eventually thread as I decide which way to go...AK or AR or...

DAM! It is shit hot!!!!!!!!!

It came today, and it is awesome. Clipped right on, indexed perfectly, and centered perfectly when I tightened the set screws at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock on the bottom. It looks awesome. I will post a picture of it on the muzzle of the dimpled Saiga and the one with the 24mm FSB with a brake for comparison tomorrow. A matching threaded spacer plate on the bottom would be nice, especially if the top plate was notched to take a protrusions on the bottom that fit into the notches. The set screws could then go through holes in the bottom plate to engage the barrel. I emailed DPH with my idea.

I think it will work fine as is, however. I am going to get some slightly longer set screws though, and drill dimples in the bottom of the shroud to engage the ends of them when they are tightened down. It will be even more secure. (Probably un-necessary, but I over-engineer things).

I seriously doubt if I will bother with the 24mm FSB for now, as the only advantage I see is a bayonet lug. They have a clamp on bayonet lug for shotguns now, so I imagine it won't be long...

DSC03745.jpg

Heck with it, I couldn't wait! It is not exact, but really looks close enough. BTW, the ring of a Bulgarian Circle 10 bayonet fits over the rebated muzzle very nicely. With the DPH brake being slightly shorter, a bolt on bayonet lug would work just behind the FSB! Scott, does that give you any ideas? It is too convenient to be an accident, I am sure he has thought of it.

Looks really good! Please post your impressions of its performance after shooting. I'm interested in the DPH, but I want to make sure that I'll be getting results similar to the "proper" FSB & brake before deciding. Thanks.

Regards,

Sapper

I'm glad you guys like it, I do suggest a touch of loctite on the thread and the set screws.

Scott

OK Scott, when is the bayonet lug coming? It will work clamped behind the FSB with the 74 brake being shorter the way it is. It would help sell more brakes! It looks like the design on the shotgun lug could be modified.

UPDATE:

Stopped by the hardware store and picked up two slightly longer set screws - the next size longer (5/32 long maybe?). Went home and dimpled the muzzle shroud with a drill where the screws engage (Damn hard German tank steel or what ever!) Checked alignment, used locktite blue and cranked it down. Came out flush. Checked center, and it is dead true according to the rod down the barrel. with that done, I hit the gas tube, barrel with brake and East German retainer, action cover, safety, and stripped receiver with a nice coat of Rustoleum high temp black bar-B=Q paint. Looks great. Now when the bullet guide and pistol grip screw and nut get here from Brian at Dinzag, I will be all set.

I can't wait to shoot it. Can an old man like me have a 7.62x39 dimpled orgasm? :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Nice job Scott. Now if only you had a bolt on bayonet lug. Maybe a clam shell type with a hinge (like M1 Carbine clamp on flash hiders have) at the top and a bolt at the bottom behind the lug....

Edited by imarangemaster

Used the factory mag to try the DPH/CSS AK74 brake (still waiting on the bullet guide). Shot a couple magazines. Between the brake and the Russkie grenade launcher pad, I felt absolutely nothing on my trashed shoulder. I believe it works as well as the 24mm brake I had on my other 7.62x39!!

Checked it after 30 rounds, no movement, no loosening of set screws (locktite is great). It gets an AAAA++++. Seriously, I doubt if I will bother putting on a 24mm FSB again. THIS WORKS EXCELLENT, AND LOOKS AWESOME. I'll just dig out the K-Bar again!

Great write-up imarangemaster. I just got mine in the mail today, so I'm looking forward to getting it mounted. It looks like loctite is a must on the set screws and threads as recommended. I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like there is THAT much room for adjustment errors, and you obviously don't want the projectile hitting the brake on the way out! Anyone know off the top of their head how much extra space there is in the brake's diameter vs. projectile diameter? Looks like a very well made product and I'm really looking forward to checking function.

Used the factory mag to try the DPH/CSS AK74 brake (still waiting on the bullet guide). Shot a couple magazines. Between the brake and the Russkie grenade launcher pad, I felt absolutely nothing on my trashed shoulder. I believe it works as well as the 24mm brake I had on my other 7.62x39!!

Checked it after 30 rounds, no movement, no loosening of set screws (locktite is great). It gets an AAAA++++. Seriously, I doubt if I will bother putting on a 24mm FSB again. THIS WORKS EXCELLENT, AND LOOKS AWESOME. I'll just dig out the K-Bar again!

Imarangemaster, can you do me a favor and take a picture of the entire rifle with the DPH brake? Preferably with some 100 series look alike furniture. Im curious how the thing looks as a whole. I am not a fan of anythuing "clip on", but I must admit the brake looks pretty slick.

I checked it by putting the smooth shank of the largest drill bit that would fit in the muzzle, and checked distance from exit hole. Not scientific, but pretty close. As for pics, my bullet guide and PG nut and screw are on the way from Dinzag, so it will be completed this week-end (I used the PG from the non-dimpled I sold and the factory mag to do the test fire after the conversion). I'll take some picks and post them in the photo thread for you, Sal.

I checked it by putting the smooth shank of the largest drill bit that would fit in the muzzle, and checked distance from exit hole. Not scientific, but pretty close. As for pics, my bullet guide and PG nut and screw are on the way from Dinzag, so it will be completed this week-end (I used the PG from the non-dimpled I sold and the factory mag to do the test fire after the conversion). I'll take some picks and post them in the photo thread for you, Sal.

Thanks dude, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Hey, if it doesn't work on your 545, let me know I have ben wanting to pick one of those up.

i just ordered 2. One for my x39 and one for the new 545. Hope it works with the 545!

yeah, ill let you know man. The way i figure it though, if they work for both the x39 and the 223 then then it should work for the 545 since the bullet diameter is slightly smaller than the 223...i can only hope

i just ordered 2. One for my x39 and one for the new 545. Hope it works with the 545!

Is there a 5.45 sporter out? I thought all the converted ones sold through KVar had threaded barrels?

they've been out almost a month man...you just come out from under your rock...lol j/k

I really like it. Unless you are hung up on sticking a bayonet on it, I can't see that it is worth the trouble to replace the FSB when this option is available. I could not tell any difference between the 24mm brake and this one as far as performance. he muzzle rize was just about non-existent.

I really like it. Unless you are hung up on sticking a bayonet on it, I can't see that it is worth the trouble to replace the FSB when this option is available. I could not tell any difference between the 24mm brake and this one as far as performance. he muzzle rize was just about non-existent.

they work that well huh? i guess im glad i ordered them when i did, seeing how CSS only had about 32 of them left when i ordered about 2 nights ago...