Where to send my saiga12 to be converted

Ok, so I'm fairly new to the saiga 12 world but I have decided that I want to move the triger group up so I can put a pistol grip and a folding stock. I don't have the time nor the know how to convert it myself. I was hoping someone here might have sent their Saiga12 to a trusted weaponsmith to have this done. Any suggestions, also please give me an estimate on cost and shipping issues if there were any. Lastly how long does it take? Thanks.. from Idaho

Ok, so I'm fairly new to the saiga 12 world but I have decided that I want to move the triger group up so I can put a pistol grip and a folding stock. I don't have the time nor the know how to convert it myself. I was hoping someone here might have sent their Saiga12 to a trusted weaponsmith to have this done. Any suggestions, also please give me an estimate on cost and shipping issues if there were any. Lastly how long does it take? Thanks.. from Idaho

It will take you about 3 hours to do it yourself. Its not as hard as you think! Ask if anyone is in your area that could help if you are doughting your ablities and could help YOU do it. If your shotgun works unconverted it will work converted.

^ +10

I was fairly intimidated by the prospect of converting restoring my S-12 also.. until I watched a couple demo videos and actually started doing it.

Remember, this is a Kalashnikov type firearm you're working on. There are no fragile/complicated internal parts or tight tolerences to worry about. If you're planning to use a Tromix DIY pg/tg kit, (which I'd recommend), you don't even have to cut any holes or drill new ones in your receiver to get it done.

Just take your time and I think you'll find it really is a lot easier than it sounds. It's a lot of fun to restore your own gun as well... and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Or you can just send it to me and i'll convert it...of course i'll also keep it when i'm done, but i will take pictures of me shooting it and send them to you.

One thing you should check is that you have at least 3 open ports between your barrel and your gas system. If you have less you can send your gun to any of the sponsors to do a barrel off conversion and add a hole or two and follow up with a parkerizing and duracoating job. Tac47 gets good reviews as do several others. Should run about 4-5hun. You can save some money and do it yourself but you won't get the added benefits of extra holes (if needed) or a nice finish (though most people on here seem to just use spray paint). One of the sponsors was running a labor day special but i can't remember who. I think it was like 6 or 7 hundred for a fully converted one.

Yeah, that was Cadiz Gun Works offering the $666 "Son of Nobama Special", vitk.

The way I see it, the main advantages of having a professional gunsmith restore your S-12 is having the unused receiver holes welded shut and having a nice refinish applied.

Personally, I don't think I'd send my S-12 to a gunsmith unless I was having them convert it to a SBS. Welded up holes, (which are blind in mine because of the parts I used), and a refinish are not worth ~$400-$500 to me.. though that's just mho.

I know I'll refinish my gun eventually.. but I've got a lot more factory paint to wear off first. :D

Thanx that's who it was and that's a helluva price! You can find non converted saiga12's that cost more money. I knew i could count on you.

Yeah, that price was for a very basic restoration, (no welding up of unused holes or refinishing), but it was still a damn good deal since that price included the gun. I definitely would have taken advantage of it, (considering I paid ~$600 for my stock S-12 back in Feb), but I didn't have enough disposable income. <_<

Red Jacket is running a 20% off special, 'til the end of this month.

$350 (before the 20% is taken off) for a conversion (on a customer supplied S12, obviously) that consists of:

Basic P.G. Conversion $350.00 , this includes all part's and complete refinish with Gunkote . Old fcg hole's welded , tg moved forward , Std AKM buttstock and pistol grip .

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=44499

I'm a "Do the conversion yourself" kind of guy, but if you really don't want to/have the time to.......I'd jump on the above deal. I'm extremely close to sending in a x39 Saiga for a basic conversion and having a lower HG pressed on. I've converted my other x39 and S12, so I know I'm capable. But I'm still probably going to have Will do my 2nd x39.

Another vote for Will at Redjacket. The crew did a fantastic job. Picture being worth a thousand words (and not one wants to read that):

The trash can holds no symbolism.

:lolol:

There is also Tony @ Tromix nothing more need be said.

Shannon @ Cobra Customs is doing some nice looking stuff as well.

Jack Travers

Any of the above would be a good choice. Not to mention the other businesses listed on this site. I think I have only seen one business that has not gotten rave reviews a quick search of any choice will let you know who you are dealing with.

post-9223-1253022222475_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaymce

+1 for Red Jacket. He is great guy to deal with, and the gun is very good looking. I did have a long wait for mine during the gun panic; hopefully it is better now.

Thank you . Our turnaround had gotten a bit rediculous , to the point were I was pusing work off and running the shop 7 day's a week . We have finally broken the back of it though , New send in's are looking at about 8 week's . $350 for the std stock conversion , $500.00 for the Sidefolder . This is with our part's . And yes , 20 % off till the end of the month for Saiga Forum . Will

Hey Post-Apop when you say I don't have to drill hole with the Tromix PG/TG kit, what is this kit and do you have a link to where I can find it. Thanks

Here's the Tromix product.

What I said is that you won't have to drill any new holes if you use the Tromix DIY kit.. you will still have to drill out the factory trigger group pins, (not hard).

those DIY type guards like the tromix or saigatech are decent, and i've had one but making a hole in your receiver for the pg nut and using the factory guard is a much more solid solution. not only is it cheaper, stronger, and you can use any ak pg you want w/out having to fit it to the DIY guard. i really like the one Cobra has goin these days tho, keeps a nice classic look.

Yeah, I did the same thing, PS, but used an akbuilder triggerguard rather than the factory one, (even more fun, I got to drill more holes in my receiver :D ).

But I get the sense that the OP is looking to make his conversion restoration as painless as possible, so I recommend the Tromix DIY part for him. It's a lot easier and less nerve-wracking than taking a dremel to your receiver.

As for what's more solid.. I would think that a traditionally mounted AK pistol grip would be, but then again I haven't heard of the Tromix part failing, and there are a lot of S-12 owners out there who use em and probably treat em none too gently.

well the prob I had w/the tromix is that its a rather weak piece of metal thats just bent into shape then has a pg nut welded to it. I was using a saw grip and had it locktighted on there tight as possible. me an some folks were abusing my S12 as I don't much care since everything can be easily replaced. I was holding it "pistol style" with both hands on the PG and dumped a couple mags. that night I took off the grip to find that I had bent the strip of metal that makes up the back of the TG where the nut is welded in place. I mean it still worked fine but I don't care for parts that can bend out of shape from minimal abuse, much less a $50 part.

well the prob I had w/the tromix is that its a rather weak piece of metal thats just bent into shape then has a pg nut welded to it. I was using a saw grip and had it locktighted on there tight as possible. me an some folks were abusing my S12 as I don't much care since everything can be easily replaced. I was holding it "pistol style" with both hands on the PG and dumped a couple mags. that night I took off the grip to find that I had bent the strip of metal that makes up the back of the TG where the nut is welded in place. I mean it still worked fine but I don't care for parts that can bend out of shape from minimal abuse, much less a $50 part.

Well if you want battle tough design, my vote is for the GoGun Design, one piece solid billet trigger guard with integral grip nut. It is VERY beefy and does not look like it will every fail. Its only a few dollars more than the

Tromix design.

Here is the ETAC/GoGun design

post-17756-1253067975129.jpg

I think you can get it at their website or Carolina Shooters.

Edited by Antelop