TROMIX DIY QUESTION

how do i get the TROMIX DIY trigger guard to work with a regular AK pistol grip?

it won't sit right. do i need to file down the grip at all?

a better discription of the problem would be helpful, or post a picture showing the issue..

does the square nut fit into the pistol grip or is it to tight?

It only works with the SAW grip.

That's why it states that it is for the SAW grip installation on the Tromix website.

If you don't want to use the SAW grip, that's fine. I would rather you just buy someone else's DIY kit, rather than fucking up the Tromix unit and then asking for a warranty replacement.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Whoa! Tony... Easy buddy. You're gonna give this poor guy a complex.

Tony does have a point about reading the instructions.... His DIY trigger guard is engineered to use the following grip http://www.cabelas.com/p-0067322229861a.shtml

Just return the generic AK grip and use the Tapco grip in the link above.

Good luck with your conversion.

WS

The grip bolt is too long.

The regular AK grip uses that long bolt, but the bolt assumes you are using a standard grip nut that has no limit on the bolt length. The grip nut on the Tromix DIY goes only so deep before it bottoms out. Actually, I don't remember if it's drilled through the plate or not. If it is, that will cause a problem because the end of the bolt will hit the bottom of the receiver and start to jack up the plate on the Tromix DIY off of the surface of the receiver. If it's not drilled through, then the screw will try to tear the grip nut off of the plate. Either way it's..... bad.

You need to carefully shorten the bolt by 3/16 or so.

Either that or listen to Tony, buy a SAW grip and retain your warranty.

I have installed a number of the Tromix trigger guards on my builds. They are specifically engineered for the SAW grip. You may want to order both, compare the construction, and if it doesn't work, send it back and just use the SAW grip the trigger guard is designed to accommodate.

You can order the stock separately if you prefer it.

WS

I have installed a number of the Tromix trigger guards on my builds. They are specifically engineered for the SAW grip. You may want to order both, compare the construction, and if it doesn't work, send it back and just use the SAW grip the trigger guard is designed to accommodate.

You can order the stock separately if you prefer it.

WS

the only reason i asked is because mississippi auto arms only has the full stock set and i wanted to have all my conversion parts shipped together. i'll just get the saw grip from MAA and the stock from somewhere else.

I guess I lucked out with my tromix DIY, I liked the SAW grip so I used it. :P

I have been having issues with the grip moving around while shooting heavy loads and working it's way loose.

I just put some JB weld into the grip mounting areao to see if I can fill it in to prevent movement and tightened that sucker down as hard as I could!

I blame the cheap plastic of the grip for my issues.

Edited by Gibbles

ouch tony!

i had no intention of screwing with the guard itself.

i was guessing i'd need to dremel out some material from the grip or perhaps cut down my bolt.

i asked because i've seen it done before and a buddy of mine has it like this on his conversion.

It only works with the SAW grip.

That's why it states that it is for the SAW grip installation on the Tromix website.

If you don't want to use the SAW grip, that's fine. I would rather you just buy someone else's DIY kit, rather than fucking up the Tromix unit and then asking for a warranty replacement.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

post-9646-12536025676862_thumb.jpg

I had a standard AK grip on my Tromix DIY guard for a little while before I got my ergo grip. I just cut the bolt threads down a bit and put on a couple of rubber washers so the head of the bolt was snug against the grip. I shot it like that and it worked fine, probably not the nicest most professional looking setup but it worked.