I grew up so far back in the woods they used mule trains instead of pipelines to get sunshine there. Two of my classmates were Billy Roy and Danny Rex. Almost forgot about the twins, Ivory B. and Willie B. Got any names more country than that?

Nicknames. I got an uncle everybody calls Sister. When he was a kid he was a cry baby and his brothers hung that on him. Funny seeing a 6 foot 4 bear of a 60 year old man answering to Sister. Another local was Punk. I never heard him called anything else. My grandfather was nicked BeJack and I never learned why.

My ten year old we refer to as Icy which started out for Insane Chimp because he has a trip wire temper but he likes it because it sounds cool (like a frozen coke) and a little edgy.

Okay maybe a lame thread but you got any amusing names and stories about how they came to be?

Edited by rocinante
  • Like 1

I had a buddy growing up we called Coon.

A bunch of us went to an Earth Wind and Fire concert and one of my friends got separated from us.

As he tried to find us in the crowded stadium he was yelling Coon, Coon, at the top of his lungs.

Not the smartest thing to do at an Earth Wind and Fire concert :lolol:

No I don't suspect your buddy would be getting his degree in rocket science anytime soon. Reminds me of the funniest skit in Kentucky Fried Movie. the daredevil.

Similar but when my boys play sports I always want them to know I am cheering for them. I yell out HOOTY HOOT like Barney and Goober used in Mayberry. I can't do a Tarzan yell as good as Carol Burnett otherwise that would be my first choice. They are getting old enough it is embarassing and bugging the bejebees out of them but that just makes it that much more fun for me. One of the other dads got laughing with me over my call and said they used it in the warehouse when the super or other big cats were about.

We had a whole bunch of them, for a bunch of people I grew up with.

The Anteater (had a big ass nose, did a bunch of coke, in prison now)

the Hey (total drug addict, had a high pitched whiny voice, used to be like "Hey! Got any drugs?")

the Mossback (my buddy's 90 year old great aunt said "He's a mossback." Apparently old person slang for a redneck)

The Coon (this chick that used to wear too much eye make up)

The foghorn (chick that had a loud ass, foghorn voice)

There were a bunch more. I'll try to remember some of them.

Guy that used to work for me liked to call me "Rhino"--because I go from zero to what my cop pals call "High Effing Rate of Speed" in one hell of a hurry, and when I do a lot of my body-mass tends to shift down and forward, placing my nose way out front kinda like a charging rhinoceros.

Did the nicknames stick though? One of my brother is still fairly universally known as Hammerhead.

And why would someone drop a perfectly good nickname to go to a so so real name? Accountant I work with always went by Bubbha but sometimes in his fifties he decided he wanted to be called Oliver. To make it worst his name actually is Oliver Wendell Holmes. His son is John Holmes :) That brings up other folks ruining a perfectly good name. My aunt is still highly agitated at homos for turning her perfectly happy and sweet name of GAY into a dirty snickering joke.

Edited by rocinante

me and my friends where Wild Bill (me), Stae (best friend, Magic Slippaz or Slipz, and Shmildo.

Mine was the least creative and was just because I tend to be a bit wild (duh).. Stae evolved from williebeamen to beamen to steamen to staemen to stae over an 8 year period in middle and high school.. Magic Slippaz was a joke basketball nickname that stuck.. and Shmildo was an asshole. Also had an unused nickname "the dutchess" for being british.. I obviously didn't like that one and it never really stuck, partly because I'd get violent.

My name was permenately changed from William to Bill by my nickname, and Stae and Slippaz still go by their nicknames as well. I havn't spoken to Shmildo in a long time so who knows.

couple other nicknames from other people I knew growing up: Squables, Finkis, Scrub, Fish, T-cup and some others I can't remember

I knew an old elevator inspector named "Nutsy".The man was in his 70's when I knew him, and nobody ever called him by any other name. Much later I found out how he got the name. As a young helper he had been sitting on the floor and wiring the toe guard junction box on a hot day, and his sweaty nuts got the worst of it when he grabbed a live wire! 50 years later he was still "Nutsy"!

Mossback...."The moss grows on the north side of a tree, but damn if it don't grow on the BACK side of Southern deserters".

One of the guys I worked with (he got fired) tore his shoulder while F'ing around on a cargo net while off duty when he was in the Navy and now draws a monthly check from the Gov. while now employeed as a HD Truck Mechanic, schooling for the trade was paid for on our dime, and received an honerable discharge because of the event (these are his words), was known in the shop as "Seaman Davey Peter Puffer". Sorry to all you honorable Navy Vets.... this was just wrong.

Went to school with a boy that was nicknamed "Stankydoo" came from gettin skeered so bad at school that he soiled his pants. Nother one I worked with was "Taterhead", his head did look like a sweet tater! LOL Nuther old man was called "Coonpick" cause he used a toothpick made from a coons penis...these were the milder people I knew. "Blue" used to blow a harp like nobody's business. "Squirt" was an old boy I worked with...6'4" 350. etc, etc.

Well, anyone who's read the "where'd your username come from" thread knows who gave me mine, now's the time for the "why".

They decided to dub me after the largest of Texas rattlers due to a convergence of several factors:

1. My Texan roots reasserting themselves (an ancestor was there for the Big One in San Antonio)

2. Patterns of behavior.

-A. I can be highly dangerous and extremely treacherous when provoked.

-B. Condition "A" does not happen without loud, clear, unmistakable fair warning and a chance for the other guy to back off first.

-C. Like my namesake, I am fiercely territorial--just that I define "territory" not by real estate but by what few friends and family I have; screw with one of them, and you have one huge-ass problem coming.

-D. If you see my head down and forward, and my lower jaw open and pulled back a bit, shoulders hunched, that's a warning--a twit I worked with around the time the nickname was bestowed, when she saw this posture, remarked "Oh, he really does look like a rattlesnake ready to strike, doesn't he?" (At the time this happened, the bane of my existence--also on that staff--had just walked into our office.)

Maybe funny, maybe not, definitely a story behind it though.

Well, anyone who's read the "where'd your username come from" thread knows who gave me mine, now's the time for the "why".

They decided to dub me after the largest of Texas rattlers due to a convergence of several factors:

1. My Texan roots reasserting themselves (an ancestor was there for the Big One in San Antonio)

2. Patterns of behavior.

-A. I can be highly dangerous and extremely treacherous when provoked.

-B. Condition "A" does not happen without loud, clear, unmistakable fair warning and a chance for the other guy to back off first.

-C. Like my namesake, I am fiercely territorial--just that I define "territory" not by real estate but by what few friends and family I have; screw with one of them, and you have one huge-ass problem coming.

-D. If you see my head down and forward, and my lower jaw open and pulled back a bit, shoulders hunched, that's a warning--a twit I worked with around the time the nickname was bestowed, when she saw this posture, remarked "Oh, he really does look like a rattlesnake ready to strike, doesn't he?" (At the time this happened, the bane of my existence--also on that staff--had just walked into our office.)

Maybe funny, maybe not, definitely a story behind it though.

Hey! Yeah, I mean, I'm sure...

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

J/K :haha:

lol Unlike Francis, though, it takes a lot to set me off... property or names, BFD--becoming a threat is the required trigger. (Maggot--yes, that's what I called him to his face--was an exception, made because he was a threat not to me but to someone I had made a commitment to run interference for and was being well compensated--although not the kind of "compensation" I'd have preferred;), if you get my drift--for it. Besides, going all Gunny Hartmann on Maggot was almost as good for stress-relief as going out to the range...lol)

FYVM too, bros... :haha:

I know a guy called Papa Smurf. There's definitely a resemblance.

In high school I had a friend called Sloth...apparently he was drunk with a bunch of friends and went out to go to the store or something (to get more beer I think). A half hour later somebody went out and found him passed out on the porch, so they started calling him Sloth and it stuck.