Saiga M Conversion

I have the Saiga M model 7.62) which is the one with the longer barrel and the all wood thumbhole stock. Has anyone done a conversion on this one? If so, can you please describe your process and the products used? This model already has the FCG in the foward position, up against the mag.

Thanks, jcs44

post-14441-12567606940734_thumb.jpg

post-14441-12567608200957_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcs44

the hard part if you can call it hard is done (moving the FGC foward) you can already use any regular ak pistol grip and stock. You are going to need to get an ak 74 gas tube with retainer and a dinzag lower hand guard retainer or mod a regular ak retainer for regular ak handguards

The one issue you are going to run into is the rear slant cut receiver.

Yeah, I have never disassembled that model, but on other AK's the answers to that problem is an odd shaped adapter, custom slant cut stock, or milling it flat and welding on a plate.

Leave it the way it is!

Unless you want to use bigger magazines, of course you could just get another run of the mill x39 for that.

I think those M variants are no longer imported.

If you do decide to do something with it,..

sell me the take off wood furniture,..

ACE makes a VEPR folding stock that should fir the slant cut receiver. You can also call Terra at Robinson Arms and see if they have any left over Vepr Black stock assemblies in their warehouse (unlikely, but worth a shot).

ACE also makes Vepr internal block as well.

Personally, I'd sell it as is, then take that money, (and perhaps a bit more), and buy a rifle that more closely matches a (semi-auto) military weapon. SGL-21's are some of the very best Russian rifles available and are on sale for a ridiculously low price. I just bought one myself.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll leave as it is as many have stated. I'm not sure I really know what trigger slap is, but I have not noticed anything uncomfortable with this trigger set up.

Thanks, jcs44

Believe me, if you had it, you would know.

• 2 weeks later...