New to the Saiga/AK world

I recently picked up a NIB Saiga 7.62 and S-12. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet. The 7.62 seems solid. The S-12 has a rattle that seems to be coming from the gas chamber or inside the hollow of the fore end. It is NOT from external parts (sling lugs etc). I have not taken it all the way down but I have removed the receiver cover, reciol spring and piston and the rattle persists. The gun is new so I don't want to do anything that would void the return policy.

Question: Should I be concerned or is it likely that something has just come loose and can be easily fixed? I bought it brand new this week but the manufacture date is July of 2008. The box and the oil paper looked untouched when I got it and first opened the shotgun.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

I recently picked up a NIB Saiga 7.62 and S-12. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet. The 7.62 seems solid. The S-12 has a rattle that seems to be coming from the gas chamber or inside the hollow of the fore end. It is NOT from external parts (sling lugs etc). I have not taken it all the way down but I have removed the receiver cover, reciol spring and piston and the rattle persists. The gun is new so I don't want to do anything that would void the return policy.

Question: Should I be concerned or is it likely that something has just come loose and can be easily fixed? I bought it brand new this week but the manufacture date is July of 2008. The box and the oil paper looked untouched when I got it and first opened the shotgun.

Take out the puck by unscrewing the gas plug above the barrel at the muzzle end and shaking the puck out then see if you still have the rattle.

Take out the puck by unscrewing the gas plug above the barrel at the muzzle end and shaking the puck out then see if you still have the rattle.

Thanks guys. Does the gas puck serve any purpose or can I discard it once I take it out?

The gun will not cycle without it. You will need to shoot a couple hundred rounds to break it in before it will cycle well.

Use hi brass shells or slugs for break in. Don't buy Walmart Winchester value packs

I used Wally World target/bird loads and mine broke in fine after a few boxes.

These guys already answered your questions.

Just wanted to let you know that the same thing happened to me.

Now that you know what's up

Go break that Mother Fucker in!

Welcome to the forum

and enjoy your new toys.

That S12 that just stressed you out will NOW be your stress relief.

Could be the best weapon that you will ever lay your hands on!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the help, it proved to be correct. Been out of town for a while. Shot it last night and it worked like a dream.

Question: I have a Tapco T6 colaspable stock with a Saw Grip that I want to use until I do a full conversion. Can I use the Saw Grip after I move the FCG forward or do I need a new pistol grip? Thanks again.

Can I use the Saw Grip after I move the FCG forward or do I need a new pistol grip? Thanks again.

No it won't bolt up correctly. Some have successfully modified it to work, but since you can pick up the correct SAW grip for under $20, it's probably not worth the effort (at least to me).

Edited by GerryV

Can I use the Saw Grip after I move the FCG forward or do I need a new pistol grip? Thanks again.

No it won't bolt up correctly. Some have successfully modified it to work, but since you can pick up the correct SAW grip for under $20, it's probably not worth the effort (at least to me).

Thanks Gerry...That helps, a lot.

I modified the T-6 saw grip, post conversion/restoration but I also ordered the correct grip, and installed it yesterday. Belive me there is a big difference, it fits better, it isn't too close to the trigger guard now, and @22.00 including tax was well worth it. Tomorrow is range day and I can hardly wait, 1st time out with the new grip. Next stage, cut off the tang.