Not to rain on Mr. Mega Eyebrows parade. but I have real doubts that this idea will go anywhere. There are just too many problems with shooting a solid projectile out of a firearm with the zero chance probability demanded by American society of any "less then lethal" solution in causing death or a maiming injury.

I have a stack of Instructor Certifications in various "less then lethal" systems, that are all dead and gone, to get too excited about this.

• Like 1

I saw that some time ago. Just another way for Taser International to raid more public treasuries with claims of 'safe' products for public safety while selling dangerous and grossly over priced crap.

I see no difference between them and the bunch pushing their bullshit technology that 'marks' shell casings for ID.

• Like 1

If they can get it to work without the blunt trauma causing lethal results at close range, and if the departments can AFFORD them, hopefully this will help. I just hope cops aren't as eager to unjustifiably "Taze" someone with this as a few sometimes are with the handheld units. We had an elderly man die in MI a year or so back from that.

to me the real liability and risk is not the device itself resulting in a death, but accidentally mixing a regular shotshell in a urgent situation. Or the opposite, getting shot because you grabbed a taser round when you needed a slug. I know that is true for any less lethal round, but it is still a real concern.

I like the idea of the orange saiga for only things like this, possibly optimized for reduced recoil stuff. Only bring it out to tase the one guy who is going too far in a riot type situations when you have a real ammo gun ready for back up, and another in your buddy's hands. The primary perk over other taser products is extended range and distance from your problem person.

I am partial to the idea of an FN303 undermount, but that is mostly because Tom Kaye designed it based on a weaponized AGD Automag, and I am an airsmithery nerd. It has a lot more usable range than any of the 12guage options I have heard of, and some interesting payload options. It would be cool to see the taser projectile adapted for those. It could never me mistaken for a firearm with live ammo, or vice-versa.

to me the real liability and risk is not the device itself resulting in a death, but accidentally mixing a regular shotshell in a urgent situation. Or the opposite, getting shot because you grabbed a taser round when you needed a slug. I know that is true for any less lethal round, but it is still a real concern.

I like the idea of the orange saiga for only things like this, possibly optimized for reduced recoil stuff. Only bring it out to tase the one guy who is going too far in a riot type situations when you have a real ammo gun ready for back up, and another in your buddy's hands. The primary perk over other taser products is extended range and distance from your problem person.

I am partial to the idea of an FN303 undermount, but that is mostly because Tom Kaye designed it based on a weaponized AGD Automag, and I am an airsmithery nerd. It has a lot more usable range than any of the 12guage options I have heard of, and some interesting payload options. It would be cool to see the taser projectile adapted for those. It could never me mistaken for a firearm with live ammo, or vice-versa.

Yeah a dedicated less than lethal platform like the FN303, or the one Beretta is developing (I think its called the LTL 7000), would definitely seem to be a better platform for a launchable self-contained taser device like this. I am guessing though that since there are a lot more 12 gauge shotguns than dedicated less than lethal launchers in police department inventories, that Taser believed their will be a much bigger market for a 12 gauge taser round than for a taser round for dedicated LTL platforms. The main issue though has already been pointed out by Azrial, that using solid projectiles as part of a less than lethal (LTL) system has almost always been a non-starter as far as that LTL system actually being fielded by anyone. Unless Taser can package this taser device into a softer projectile (like some sort of big Nerf dart), I don't think anyone's going to want to buy it.

Edited by Frogfoot

So let me toss out a potentially silly notion... for folks to ponder...

Does the taser work by slinging electrons between the two prongs you get hit with? Or do you get hit with one prong and it grounds you and thats what nails you??

I was wondering if you get hit with TWO and the shock is between them... wouldnt any form of metal cancel your getting zapped?? we have all heard of the tinfoil hat... what if you were wearing a tinfoil vest?!?!? path of least resistance and all...

Anyone with firsthand knowledge of taser function want to chime in here?? :lol::up:

Might give new meaning to the "Tinfoil hat"... LOL

:smoke:

Gunfun,

The Taser shotgun round will not work in a regular shotgun and a regular shotgun will not fire a Taser round. The rim on the Taser round is inlet with a recess, so you have to use a dedicated shotgun platform for the round to function. The bolt on the dedicated shotgun also has a recess in it and will not fire a regular shotgun round. The big drawback with this round is the cost $100-125 each. But then again, a small price to pay if it can save the life of someone or prevent serious injury to that person or the officer.

Frogfoot,

Although I have not been hit with one of the taser rounds, I do know that they hit softer than a regular beanbag round. They are not built to cause any type of blunt force trauma, but rather only hard enough to stick into soft tissue and then fall away. One of the reps doing the demo got shot with a round and it only left a very small bruise in the area. Much different than the bruising that I observed on people shot with a beanbag round or rubber projectile.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

Well, a real issue for current dart Tasers is just a thick vest. If the probes don't reach you, they don't do much. also at about 20 ' the current generation of pistol shaped Taser can have a spread of about 3' between the probes. that is less than great.

Re the tin foil, I know that the guys who do the training courses at work make the standard FBI cardboard head and torso silhouette and cover it with tinfoil. It gets some scorch marks around the holes from the probes. And my sergeant says she got a scar on her butt from one of them too.

Ok GeorgiaPD, that is interesting info. That kind of negates the point of making the thing 12 gauge though. i guess it would be cheaper to modify existing shotguns at production than to start from scratch. If it were an underbarrel gadget that fit on a picitinny rail, like the shotgun they put on M4's that might be useful.

Edited by GunFun

So let me toss out a potentially silly notion... for folks to ponder...

Does the taser work by slinging electrons between the two prongs you get hit with? Or do you get hit with one prong and it grounds you and thats what nails you??

I was wondering if you get hit with TWO and the shock is between them... wouldnt any form of metal cancel your getting zapped?? we have all heard of the tinfoil hat... what if you were wearing a tinfoil vest?!?!? path of least resistance and all...

Anyone with firsthand knowledge of taser function want to chime in here?? :lol::up:

Might give new meaning to the "Tinfoil hat"... LOL

:smoke:

Indy,

Both prongs have to be in contact for the person to receive any type of "shock" from the taser. If one prong does not connect, then you just have a small #8 straight hook stuck in your skin. The other option would be if only one barb makes contact then you can just touch the front of the taser device to the person and this will complete the circuit. The shock will only occur between the two barbs or contact points. I have handcuffed several people while they were being "shocked" with no adverse affects to myself. But, if you take three or four people and everyone locks arms together like a chain, then everyone could get shocked if you place one probe on the left person and one probe on the right person.

I know that there is a bunch of controversy about the taser out there, but I can name two people that I have had very violent encounters with that owe their lives to the taser. In each case, all other methods had been used to no effect and without the taser, both would have ended up in a lethal force situation. Just my first hand experience.

Glad to see Georgia PD on this one. We had a thread about this a while ago. The handgun tasers often made me wonder why a cop, facing a violent bad guy, would go for a taser at that short of an engagement range. It's shocking to me that they were adopted at all. These shotgun tasers give LEOs longer range and a nice big club for personal defense if needed. I think they're brilliant. They're also a lot more intimidating where the BG thinks you're using an actual shotgun... with the pistol ones you're so close you can see the whites of their eyes. What's the point? If you're that close and thinking you're going to throw down with a LEO, you need more than a taser jolt.

• Like 1

A lot of the time they get used in a physical force situation where you are talking about losing teeth or breaking arms and noses. You have 1 problem guy and 4 cops who could beat the crap out of him and maybe get beat up themselves. It isn't really a question of who will win most of the time, but how bad everyone gets hurt. Doing a compliance hold on a guy that really wants to fight can be a broken thumb for him if he resists a lot. it doesn't happen on purpose, but it happens. a taser would have left that guy in better shape. (although maybe missing a life lesson)

He gets a shock and no one gets any real injuries. No one would have died either way, but the next day when the guy sobers up, everyone involved is in a lot better shape than they would have been. If they went hand to hand, at the least he would be missing a lot of skin from face to asphalt contact, and at worst he might have made a gun grab on the officer. It is a useful tool. You reduce risk in situations that are not lethal force, but enough to need force. ten feet is better than two, and you still can hit the guy as a last resort.

Where I work, they tase people they couldn't control with oc spray, (sometimes to prevent them from hurting themselves in permanent ways. lots of people will do stuff like slam themselves into doors until bones are exposed if they don't get restrained or moved to a softer room.) They are a lot better off than if they had 6 officers jump on them and pin them to the floor. Also usually they hold them at a distance until the taser is ready, so there is no close contact until the situation is controlled. And they get the video cameras out any time they think it might be necessary, and get as many people handy. Word gets out that they hurt, so people that might have been willing to take a punch if they could give a swing back will back down from a one sided fight before it starts. The cameras and the stacks of reports that need written by anyone within sight of a tasing helps to limit their use and I think eliminate abuse. Also those situations require aproval from the senior officer on scene, who usually isn't the guy holding the taser, so cooler heads prevail. We have about 800 inmates in my building and I think we have less than 2 uses per month.

• Like 1