BHO - can't believe I didn't do it sooner...

So yesterday morning, got bored (mama and little one was still sleeping) and decided to go ahead and install the BHO. Couldn't have taken me more then 30 minutes (including grinding the 'nipple' down a little, bluing it, and the right side of the hammer axle holder...I know, bad wording) and BAM, done and done. Works freak'n sweet. If your own the fence, just jump right of and get'r done.

• Like 1

It can be a handy feature or ergonomic disaster depending on your ghoice in grip.

I love the BHO on my S-12 with my thumbhole stock, but on Barry my x39 the SAW style grip had me accidentaly triggering it EVERY TIME. With less recoil you would think that the rifle would be less prone to this problem, but that hasn't been my expirience.

YMMV, but in this case with this caliber I have to go with nalioth.

I have the SAW grip also, kept the BHO, but shortened it. No problem at all, and useful at the range were the stacked rifles need to be "bolt open" to allow going down range. To each his own, but this whole site is about being different in so many ways. Makes the whole exercise that much more interesting.

sailor

It can be a handy feature or ergonomic disaster depending on your ghoice in grip.

I love the BHO on my S-12 with my thumbhole stock, but on Barry my x39 the SAW style grip had me accidentaly triggering it EVERY TIME. With less recoil you would think that the rifle would be less prone to this problem, but that hasn't been my expirience.

YMMV, but in this case with this caliber I have to go with nalioth.

I have a Choate Saigunov stock om my 308 and FAB grooved PG on my x39. Both work great with the BHO - it's all about grinding the tab short enough so it doesn't impinge on the trigger finger.

Most people who don't have one, or have such anti BHO type thoughts on the matter, never could get theirs in so they chucked it in the trash. Then they went online and told everyone how difficult it is to put in and how something so useless had no place on an AK. (And some are just purists....)

Fact of the matter is, it DOES belong on the Saiga AK and is one of the key features that designates it IS a Saiga. Also a fact.....there are many many people who finally got up the balls to do their own conversion, then didn't quite finish it right because they keep reading this crap about how it doesn't belong, or is too hard to put back in. Looks like another case of that here.

Congrats on getting over that last hump bro!:super:

It takes me all of about 1 minute on a bench grinder to shorten and round off the BHO so it isn't in the way at all, I don't care what kind of grip you use.

Well with that said....I am happy as hell with it but to each is own. Just wanted to point it out to those that were undecided on it and that if they were thinking about it, it isn't that hard. As for not being on 60,000,000 AK's, don't care. Its on mine and it works properly. Comforting feeling that I can show 'clear' without having to hold it manually. Also, I guess from being a DI, just having it open, ready for inspection brings a warm and fuzzy feeling to me! :smoke:

So yesterday morning, got bored (mama and little one was still sleeping) and decided to go ahead and install the BHO. Couldn't have taken me more then 30 minutes (including grinding the 'nipple' down a little, bluing it, and the right side of the hammer axle holder...I know, bad wording) and BAM, done and done. Works freak'n sweet. If your own the fence, just jump right of and get'r done.

I couldn't agree with you more. I still don't believe how much I missed it when I didn't have it.

Added mine back in a few weeks ago. May need to trim down depending on if my finger catches it or not.

Going to dremel off and polish it abit just to be safe next week (when i can bum the dremel again from sis).

Also was only 10 min job to put back on. Agree on the hold-open for 'range' theory.