Rastamanila/Volcano in Philippines

Yeah, cross your fingers...

I was just thinking about this the other day.

He said he lives on high ground, hopefully that mountain isn't the high ground he lives on.

At least it is the slow type of eruption....

Not like Mt. St. Helen's.

We keep talking about the Shit Hitting the Fan...

Where he is, they have the holy wars, floods, Eruptions, the list goes on & on....

I'll bet the Prophecies are an easier sell over there.

Good luck Bro.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the concern guys. Mayon Volcano is VERY far away from Manila. Precisely why I haven't been able to log on until now was because they made me Night Editor so basically it's been stressful the last two weeks because I didn't know if the damn volcano was gonna blow on my shift. Ours is the ONLY newspaper that NEVER goes on holiday. So I stayed here until 12MN on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. On the night of the 31st I left here at 10 PM with the agreement that we all go back to work if Mayon blows. I actually had a "Mayon Erupts" dummy of the front page given to me that night.

About Mayon Volcano...it's erupted several time during my lifetime (I'm now 38) with no real cataclysmic effects. This is not to say it isn't dangerous (although I WOULD NOT go trekking near it especially now). The residents in the area generally regard Mayon as a "gentle volcano" in recent times. Some time in the 1800's was the Real Bad Shit Eruption and today you can visit the submerged bell tower of the Cagsawa Church.

So far the people in Mayon's vicinity are safe and my tall, dark, and ugly cousin who is governor is apparently doing a great job with his goal of ZERO CASUALTIES. He is a smart economist and has proven to be very prepared.

Sadly, if you live in the Philippines which is a beautiful country; Natural Disasters are part of the landscape. The really serious shit was the flooding and devastation of this Fall's typhoons. I was blessed that I live on higher ground. During that time I hastily stacked up on ammo cos shit was literally hitting the fan. Fortunately for us all there were no "Security Problems". :smoke::haha::killer::super:

Thanks for the concern guys. Mayon Volcano is VERY far away from Manila. Precisely why I haven't been able to log on until now was because they made me Night Editor so basically it's been stressful the last two weeks because I didn't know if the damn volcano was gonna blow on my shift. Ours is the ONLY newspaper that NEVER goes on holiday. So I stayed here until 12MN on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. On the night of the 31st I left here at 10 PM with the agreement that we all go back to work if Mayon blows. I actually had a "Mayon Erupts" dummy of the front page given to me that night.

About Mayon Volcano...it's erupted several time during my lifetime (I'm now 38) with no real cataclysmic effects. This is not to say it isn't dangerous (although I WOULD NOT go trekking near it especially now). The residents in the area generally regard Mayon as a "gentle volcano" in recent times. Some time in the 1800's was the Real Bad Shit Eruption and today you can visit the submerged bell tower of the Cagsawa Church.

So far the people in Mayon's vicinity are safe and my tall, dark, and ugly cousin who is governor is apparently doing a great job with his goal of ZERO CASUALTIES. He is a smart economist and has proven to be very prepared.

Sadly, if you live in the Philippines which is a beautiful country; Natural Disasters are part of the landscape. The really serious shit was the flooding and devastation of this Fall's typhoons. I was blessed that I live on higher ground. During that time I hastily stacked up on ammo cos shit was literally hitting the fan. Fortunately for us all there were no "Security Problems". :smoke::haha::killer::super:

A volcano is one thing I have never had to deal with. I've been in hurricanes and earthquakes and I've seen tornadoes, but a volcano is one thing I have never been around. It sounds really harsh.

The downside of work is that you have to go to work. But the upside is that at least you're working. lol

Stay safe rasta!

Edited by Bounce12

Isn't it amazing that so many of the world's largest civilations built population centers around active volcanos. Even today with advanced scientific proof that these "stone cones" are going to go "POW" someday people still cling to these geographic locations. Mexico City for example. I don't quite get it.

Isn't it amazing that so many of the world's largest civilations built population centers around active volcanos. Even today with advanced scientific proof that these "stone cones" are going to go "POW" someday people still cling to these geographic locations. Mexico City for example. I don't quite get it.

I hear ya Loud and Clear. Most people living within the 6-8 Kilometer Danger Zone are squatters. I very much doubt there are many people with titles within that zone. Do be informed however that volcanic soil is extremely fertile. That is one reason coffee from here, Hawaii, and Indonesia tastes really really good. A Lay Out Artist working with me here to night lost his entire rice crop a week ago because heat from the lava cooked the rice stalks. But otherwise; for majority of the last 40 years he and his family have been able to harvest bountifully twice a year. I would definitely not build anywhere near a volcano. But to be fair; you really Do Not See That Shit Coming. When Mount Pinatubo Blew up in 1991 I don't even think many in the vicinity EVEN KNEW THERE WAS A VOLCANO as the last eruption was estimated to be in the 1300's. There was no prior volcanic incident right before Mount Pinatubo blew it's whole top off. So unlike, Mount Saint Helens if you'll remember; this thing just happened one morning and caught two U.S. Military bases and everyone else with their pants down and DESTROYED peoples' lives and property. Myself here in Manila WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AFFECTED in any way, shape, or form. However in a Freak Of Nature there was a huge typhoon in the vicinity and it SNOWED ASH all over Manila and Southern Luzon and took that shit all the way to Vietnam. :ded::unsure::cryss:

Edited by rastamanila

There are a shit load of them.

Seattle

Sigonella (Mt, Etna, Sicily)

Pompeii (that's a famous one)

Hawaii is nothing but volcanoes

Edited by Bounce12

Glad to hear you're ok Rasta. Saw the news and got worried.

Lets not forget about YellowStone. If that goes off, about half the US will feel it directly, and the other half will get at least some of the fallout, including Evacuees.