quick detatch magwell??

what do you guys think about the feasability of a quick detatch ( A.R.M.S. style) magwell? could this be done? would it be solid enough? i was thinking studs and holes for allignment and quick detatch lever to snug it up. i am no machinist but this seems like it might just work. imagine being able to go from magwell to drum in about 3 seconds..... i am getting wood just thinking about it. if the mag release was part of the magwell, then the magwell could even be left attatched to a mag while running drum. just a thought.......... feedback?????

on that same subject what about a magwell that just rocked and locked into the gun like a regular mag???? probably be some space issues there but i am sure one of you geniuses could figure it out... i would pay just about any price for a magwell that came off and on without tools to allow ultimate mag/drum flexibility... what do you guys think

Edited by the dude

Mags that work in magwells need to have that mag catch pretty much shaved off, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, you'd need 2 sets of mags; rock-n-lock mags and shaved magwell mags.

I don't know much about magwells though. So maybe I'm completely off base.

EDIT: I just reread your post.....so you're saying all of your mags would be for magwell use, and just the drums would be for rock-n-lock use?

Edited by -Shooter-

Mags that work in magwells need to have that mag catch pretty much shaved off, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, you'd need 2 sets of mags; rock-n-lock mags and shaved magwell mags.

I don't know much about magwells though. So maybe I'm completely off base.

EDIT: I just reread your post.....so you're saying all of your mags would be for magwell use, and just the drums would be for rock-n-lock use?

what i was actually thinking of was running magwell for new steel mags and still be able to run all of my un modified md surefire and agp stuff with minimal delay in between(I have lots of old style mags!!) studs and nuts would be ok, but it would be only slightly faster than using a hex key and there would still be the... OOPS where did that f'ing screw go!!! factor during changes occuring out doors in snow/tall grass etc. keeping swap out time under 5 seconds with no little parts to misplace is the main attraction for me. a set up like this would make me comfortable with having only 5 or 6 steel 8 rd mags instead of 20!! i think everyone would buy a magwell that swapped out almost as quickly as a mag even if it was a few hundred bucks, considering that all of their old mags would still be in play :super: !!!!

EDIT: sorry freak, I didnt catch that part about the captive bolts the first time through....you might be on to something there.. faster detatch/re-atatch would still be awesome though as long as it was solid, even if is was a little more costly...

Edited by the dude

Sounds to me like the ideal magwell the people want is exactly like what Nathan from MSA made for the .223 Saiga rifles. It rocks and locks into place to allow the use of AR-15 mags in the Saiga. It can be quickly removed even attached to a mag, and a regular AK mag (or factory mag) then rocked into place. It's milled out of solid aluminum and does require some milling of the receiver and trunnion to work. If something similar could be made for the S-12 it would be great.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the ideal magwell the people want is exactly like what Nathan from MSA made for the .223 Saiga rifles. It rocks and locks into place to allow the use of AR-15 mags in the Saiga. It can be quickly removed even attached to a mag, and a regular AK mag (or factory mag) then rocked into place. It's milled out of solid aluminum and does require some milling of the receiver and trunnion to work. If something similar could be made for the S-12 it would be great.

Hey snake how's you own project commin along anyhow ?

The S-12 mags are so large that I see no way to make a solid detachable mag well, unless it is made as part of a handguard. That would be very solid with a tight grip on the front of the receiver, and only the screw on the front to dick with to change out. Change hand guard to go from mag well and rails race gun to smooth grip and rock and lock gun.

on that same subject what about a magwell that just rocked and locked into the gun like a regular mag???? probably be some space issues there but i am sure one of you geniuses could figure it out... i would pay just about any price for a magwell that came off and on without tools to allow ultimate mag/drum flexibility... what do you guys think

I think that when you see how fast magwell reloads are you will never use a drum again.....