Next rifle: help me choose...

Greeting my S12 brethren. I have been bitten by the bug, and am in the market for another rifle. After various considerations, I have narrowed it down to two. Now many factors have come into play here, but for me the main ones are: Dependability - I want a gun that I know will work regardless of field conditions, temperature etc. Good firepower at medium range, mainly talking 300m or less. and last but not least, coolness factor. Don't wanna spend more than a grand, so here is what I've boiled it down to.

STG 2000 from I.O. Inc. these are all American made now, on US receivers with US barrels. Every report I've read on one says it has excellent accuracy for ANY AK, plus it's a East German Wieger clone, which for some reason I have an absolute hard on for right now.

IOIN0001___STG20_4aef3263a0077.png

My other choice is something I never thought I would buy - a AR15. This one is a Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE model. I'm unfamiliar with the AR, but my reasoning here is that it's not productive to only be familiar with one weapons platform, and in a TEOTWAWKI situation the AR would probably be available as a battlefield pickup in quantity.

smith_811021.jpg

Now I know everyone will probably leap at the S&W, and tell me the STG is crap. But, it's half the price of the AR. AK ammo is cheaper, And it IS a AK! :)

All well thought out responses are welcome, and I'll use the input you guys give me to decide. Thanks ;)

Edited by Jpanzer

I like the AK for all the reasons you stated. When I really think about Emergency situations and maintaining an AR platform rifle, I cringe! My AR 10 shoots sub MOA groups at 100 yards from the bench, but offhand under stress I shoot about a 6" to 10" group with an AR or an AK, so I like inexpensive ammo and a rifle that can get as dirty as me and still work! I am actually considering getting rid of my AR 10 and replacing it with an AK and 4000 rounds of ammo!Same price!!!!

Want an AR? Build one exactly the way you want. It's easy. Just make sure you use quality parts. You can go a setailed as you want on the build or you can just buy a complete upper and mate it to the lower of your choice. THat's the beauty of the AR platform. Plus, it's versatility. If you want another caliber, just swap uppers.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have your heart totally set yet, you might consider picking up one of those Polish milled AK-47s that have been floating around lately in the $700 range. These are not AKMs, so replacement furniture is harder to find, but they come with an original bayonet as well. Nifty guns, been thinking about picking one up myself.

If you do go down the AR path you will not be disapointed in the S&Ws.

I have an M&P Tactical and I a love it. It has been rock solid. It eats everything that I have fed it - from mil-spec 5.56 to cheap zinc coated Brown Bear .223 --- Flawlessly. I am not at all as good as I should be with cleaning it and still no problems.

Since cost of ammo has been mentioned, I will mention that I paid $200 for a 22LR conversion with 2 26 round mags. That has worked incredibly well for me too. It even shoots the cheapo 500 rd box of Walmart ammo that go for $15. It is a lot of fun for blasting at the range on the cheap, more importantly I can practice (obviously lower recoil) using the same set up on my rig at our indoor range which limits rifle to 22 only.

Had a Bushy AR back in 2002 ($900 back in NJ). Got 1000 rounds of Salt Lake M193 for it and a nice 6-24x44 ill. mil dot scope. ($1300 total in it). And my car died and the rent was due. Sold all (un-fired) for $600 015.gif ..

Biggest mistake as I ended up with the $$ (that I needed) in like 4 days after I sold it... F*** me. 009.gif

I may also go the AR route on the next round (just a cheapy one $700). Just like you said, to have 'dress up fun' and be able to go to a local 'show' and buy something for it.. My shows here in PA are AR driven for the most part.

If not I'm going either 5.45 or .223 in Saiga format I think and 'dress' her up..wub.gif

I wouldn't buy anything DI. Get something that uses a piston so the STG if you must, but i'm not a big fan of them. Robarm's XCR has come a long way if you got the $$. Their new trigger system is crisp, and their gas system now has a "S" for suppressed fire. They are coming out with more things at a very fast pace (their mini,micro,pistol series ect.)

Got the STG! Really like the fit and finish of this rifle. Doesn't feel cheap or look it either. Receiver and barrel are US made. Slight play in the handguard front to back, I suspect this is from the proprietary way it is held on, via a pin, exactly like the original STG was.

Just finished putting a East German folder on it, along with the correct East German rear sight leaf.(Going the STG 942 route! ;)) Hope to get some pics up in a few days to give you guys a look!

• Like 1

I think you made a good choice. I like ARs and that model just dosn't excite me. I've shot the german weiger and frankly my impression is that it would make a great lightweight SHTF weapon(it was lighter than my plastic stocked saiga x39). The sights were smooth, the lines are conforming, and i think it would handle itself well in heavy brush.

I wasn't aware this model was made in america though, that makes me like it even more.

What did it run you?

My only ?? is can you get PARTs for the STG??...

We all know how non-existent bolt assy and firing pins are for our 'beloved' 7.62x39 Saiga variations are...

Which may NEVER be fixed by anyone.. Tony got S-12 pins here US made.. But why can't anyone get x39 pins made for us??? 007.gif

Congrats... What that run you??

Exchanged several emails with a very friendly and courteous lady at Royal Tiger Imports named Stefanie. I can't stress how easy and helpful she made the entire purchase. Once she found out I already had a dealer lined up to handle the transfer she sold the STG 2000C to me for the dealer price they list, $439.99. Threw in a extra Master Molder 30 round AK mag for $9.99 more. I ordered it on a Thursday and my dealer had it in hand the next Monday! :super:

These Thermold (Master Molder) mags are actually nice for the price. I've read good things about them. Both these and surplus Yugo 30 round mags lock up tight in the receiver. I'm itching to get some 7.62x39 ammo in my hands to put this rifle through its paces.

I'll try to get some decent pics up soon... :)

Edited by Jpanzer