Which Saiga to get?

I'm planning on getting a Saiga, weird right? The problem is, I'm torn on what to get. I already have a 30-06 that I use for deer hunting, so this would be more of a plinking and medium game rifle. I was thinking about a shotgun too, but I don't shoot trap or anything, and I can use my dad's Winchester for hunting. The .308 is a little out of the price range, so it's between the .223, 7.62x39, and the 5.45x39, I don't really have experience with any of the three calibers so it's pretty much whichever would be the most useful otherwise. I will be converting it. Thanks in advance. I put a poll for fun as well.

I'm planning on getting a Saiga, weird right? The problem is, I'm torn on what to get. I already have a 30-06 that I use for deer hunting, so this would be more of a plinking and medium game rifle. I was thinking about a shotgun too, but I don't shoot trap or anything, and I can use my dad's Winchester for hunting. The .308 is a little out of the price range, so it's between the .223, 7.62x39, and the 5.45x39, I don't really have experience with any of the three calibers so it's pretty much whichever would be the most useful otherwise. I will be converting it. Thanks in advance. I put a poll for fun as well.

It's pretty much up to you. All three are good rounds, with various strengths and weaknesses that have been discussed all over the Internet. In terms of the Saigas of each, the 5.45 is the easiest to convert, as it requires no filing with either the mag catch or interdiction tab. The 7.62 will have more and cheaper magazine options. .223 mags will tend to be more expensive.

Edited by Jim Digriz

If i were you, i would get a .223 or 5.45. This may sound selfish but i dont need another buyer competing with me for 7.62x39 ammo, keeping demand up and supply down. :dollar:

I'm only slightly joking.

However, i would opt for the 16" barrel of any version.

5.45x39 pluses cheap surplus ammo, easy to convert negative:5.45 is a foreign round domestic availability may become issue.

223/5.56 pluses readily available ammo NATO 5.56 is everywhere! Easy to install Bullet Guide to use standard AK mags Negative not the easiest to convert but not that big of a deal.

7.62 x 39 pluses..it's the AK round plenty of milsurp and some domestically available converts to be The AK-47! Negatives: You already have a larger caliber rifle so why another?

All three are great do not get me wrong it just depends on your situation and thought for use. Pick one and be happy!

If i were you, i would get a .223 or 5.45. This may sound selfish but i dont need another buyer competing with me for 7.62x39 ammo, keeping demand up and supply down. :dollar:

I'm only slightly joking.

However, i would opt for the 16" barrel of any version.

I love the taste of that rainbow!..lol ++ on the 16" barrel and 223...lol

Also, are the gas pistons in all three the same one? I can't find one that's actually labeled 5.45?

Why do you want to change the gas piston? Change stock, pistol grip, and FCG, and there is no need to change the piston.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I plan on using Tapco parts lol. I was just wondering because it's always nice to have an extra compatibility part. That question was never answered either, I'm still curious.

The OEM gas piston is likely of higher quality than the Tapco one, so I wouldn't replace it if you have enough changed parts already.

But to answer your question, I just looked at my 5.45 and 7.62 rifles, and the gas piston appears to be identical.

It won't matter, get anything!

Just don't get the damn 5.45x39! they suck.

(Please lord don't need any more competition for the mil surp 5.45x39 ammo or the price will go up!)

Edited by Fluid Power

5.45x39, Cheap and effective. You get the most bang for your buck. The cheap surplus ammo you plink with is the same lethal round used in combat. You can drop zombies all day long for less than 13cents a pop.

Havent seen but a couple of the Saiga 54R rifles here and that's unfortunate. Cheap as dirt and a good round but it would compete directly with the 308 in sales, in fact I might not of bought a 308 if the 54R had been an option. Since its being produced in the US now it would be great.

• Like 1

what round does everyone think it's the best as a defense round rather than hunting/target shooting? i've been deciding this same thing, i wanted the .308 but i'll wait til i can take preban mags in it since i'm in NY

Err the 308. Not even the liquid armor being developed stops that round though they are really keeping a lid on testing, seems the 223 can be stopped by that armor at some distance. If they keep it up we may have to rethink things since that stuff is amazing.

what round does everyone think it's the best as a defense round rather than hunting/target shooting? i've been deciding this same thing, i wanted the .308 but i'll wait til i can take preban mags in it since i'm in NY

Err the 308. Not even the liquid armor being developed stops that round though they are really keeping a lid on testing, seems the 223 can be stopped by that armor at some distance. If they keep it up we may have to rethink things since that stuff is amazing.

in what order would you rate the combat efficiency of each available saiga? from best to least. i was originally gonna get the 308 but i wouldnt be able to take preban mags at the moment and i live in NY, so my next choice was gonna be the 7.62

"Everyone" will not agree on this, no matter which caliber we're talking about. ;) That said, I recommend the 7.62x39. It's got a lot more punch than the .223 or 5.45, is both lighter and much less expensive than .308, and has cheap, reliable mags readily available for it, (everything from 5-round hunting mags to 100-round drums).

• Like 1

in what order would you rate the combat efficiency of each available saiga? from best to least. i was originally gonna get the 308 but i wouldnt be able to take preban mags at the moment and i live in NY, so my next choice was gonna be the 7.62

Man Im not going to even consider what it would be in NY since Id move, dont know how you guys tolerate these places. It depends on the combat, properly set up with a good brake to limit climb the 308 hands down but Ive been accused of listening to Boston T. Party too much. BTW get the Gun Bible and read about this stuff a known level headed author. Now money is going to be mentioned as a downside on the 308 but ask yourself this;

If things really occur that make combat effectiveness a life or death matter for you, will that few hundred you save on a lesser round going to make you feel better?

Yes I know this can be carried to limits where its no longer logical but within limits the logic holds. This is why many have multiple rifles, I use the x39 for training since its so close in operation and recoil to the 308 as to not matter. Hell all 30cals are pretty damn effective. This new liquid armor is really looking like a game changer as it seems its more effective against the 223 and 5.45 than the 30cal. Something to do with the way it works makes the high speed small rounds just bounce off the stuff. Heck who really knows at this point.

Get Boston's Gun Bible...

• Like 1

Man Im not going to even consider what it would be in NY since Id move, dont know how you guys tolerate these places. It depends on the combat, properly set up with a good brake to limit climb the 308 hands down but Ive been accused of listening to Boston T. Party too much. BTW get the Gun Bible and read about this stuff a known level headed author. Now money is going to be mentioned as a downside on the 308 but ask yourself this;

If things really occur that make combat effectiveness a life or death matter for you, will that few hundred you save on a lesser round going to make you feel better?

Yes I know this can be carried to limits where its no longer logical but within limits the logic holds. This is why many have multiple rifles, I use the x39 for training since its so close in operation and recoil to the 308 as to not matter. Hell all 30cals are pretty damn effective. This new liquid armor is really looking like a game changer as it seems its more effective against the 223 and 5.45 than the 30cal. Something to do with the way it works makes the high speed small rounds just bounce off the stuff. Heck who really knows at this point.

Get Boston's Gun Bible...

lots of good info in this thread for people trying to decide on a saiga rifle. the concept of the .308 being the best in general but using a x39 for training is good advice, it seems like if you're accurate with the x39 then you sholud have no issues with a .308

Times being what they are everyone is looking to make every cent count. I dont blame people for being cautious, they should be.

What Ive been taught and its always made sense is that a rifle at the range or in the field is worth a hundred times more than one in the gun safe. The point being shoot what you can whenever you can, the skills will transfer. Dry fire practice on the expensive stuff is great to build skills, sight picture, trigger control, handling, mag changes, and field stripping. It doesn't cost a dime since you don't have to even cock the rifle so zero wear involved. If all you can afford to shoot is a 22LR then shoot that and dry fire your MBR.

Get to an Appleseed and if you possibly can get involved in helping others. Its a great way to spend a weekend and there is always something new to learn.

I entirely disagree with "the concept of the .308 being best in general but using a x39 for training". <_<

Are we going to even begin to argue that the 7.62x39 round is not extensively battle-proven and lethal as hell? I sure hope not, cause several decades of reality indicate otherwise.

So... what's the max capacity and price of Saiga .308 mags again? Where can I buy a .308 AK drum mag? :rolleyes:

.308 is for longer distance shooting and ideal for hunting. Within ~400 yards, imo 7.62x39 is the superior choice, for a multitude of reasons.

atips1 and Jesse: buy a Saiga 7.62x39, (or even better, a SGL21). You will not regret it.. If you have more money down the road, then buy a Saiga-12 and then a Saiga .308.

That's my advice. ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I wont run down the x39 PA, heck I love the thing and wouldn't hesitate to take it into combat. The man asked about maximum combat effectiveness and the 308 has strong claim in semi-auto application. One thing I do know with absolute certainty, AK envy was uncommon among our fellow troops until we lost the M-14 to the AR, respected yes but not envied.

Stoner's AR changed that situation fast. A case of the round being better than the rifle with that thing.

I would say 7.62x39 16" barrel for sure. You can't go wrong with a battle proven firearm. That's actually what I am choosing as well for my first Saiga. May end up getting some of the other chambered versions. I have been doing some extensive searching on ballistics of specifically the .223 vs 5.45 vs 7.62 and from what I've seen the 7.62 would be a slower round but with more stopping power than the other two. And if you are going to be just plinking well as previously stated there is a TON of surplus of 7.62x39. I won't fire up a debate on this but all three have their advantages and disadvantages such as accuracy, distance, stopping power, penetration, fragmenting. Depends on what your looking to do with it.

7.62x39 16" barrel all the way!:)

• Like 1