Building a kit requires some common sense

Quoted directly from another board (quote provided by a very, very, very lucky man):

Okay so I got a kit, a Romy G. Couldn't get the barrel pin out. Vise, 12ton Hydraulic press, drill, nothing worked. Broke two carbide bits drilling, even lubed with oil and going slow. So I said to hell with it, leave the pin in, drill out the rivets a bit, tap, and use screws to hold the receiver to the trunnion.

Well, I drilled too far and into the chamber. I thought at first it was the rivet popping out a bit between the barrel and trunnion, and so i stopped, marked the depth, and did the other 3 holes. It was then that I noticed that I had drilled through the entire damn thing, and could see through the chamber from either side...

Skip ahead, I put the screws in, barely long enough to leave a little indent on the chamber wall. Gun went together fine, cycles great, chambers round, ejects, etc. Test fire...Blew 4 perfect little "10/32" holes in the side of the casing, and only partially ejected.

IMG00275.jpg

Question: Any way to salvage this? Maybe my stuffing a plug in the chamber and back-filling the drilled holes by welding or JB Weld, etc? Or is this just a perfect example of a lesson learned on my part, a few pounds of the head on the wall, and better luck next time?

They say that God looks favorably on Marines and small animals . .

. . . evidently so (author of above post is a Marine).

MORAL OF THE STORY:

If you drill a hole in your barrel chamber, you've just bought yourself an expensive lesson in "measure twice, cut once", as your barrel is now trashed and UNSAFE TO USE

This guy is very lucky he didn't blow his hand or head off . . .

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

Quoted directly from another board (quote provided by a very, very, very lucky man):

Okay so I got a kit, a Romy G. Couldn't get the barrel pin out. Vise, 12ton Hydraulic press, drill, nothing worked. Broke two carbide bits drilling, even lubed with oil and going slow. So I said to hell with it, leave the pin in, drill out the rivets a bit, tap, and use screws to hold the receiver to the trunnion.

Well, I drilled too far and into the chamber. I thought at first it was the rivet popping out a bit between the barrel and trunnion, and so i stopped, marked the depth, and did the other 3 holes. It was then that I noticed that I had drilled through the entire damn thing, and could see through the chamber from either side...

Skip ahead, I put the screws in, barely long enough to leave a little indent on the chamber wall. Gun went together fine, cycles great, chambers round, ejects, etc. Test fire...Blew 4 perfect little "10/32" holes in the side of the casing, and only partially ejected.

IMG00275.jpg

Question: Any way to salvage this? Maybe my stuffing a plug in the chamber and back-filling the drilled holes by welding or JB Weld, etc? Or is this just a perfect example of a lesson learned on my part, a few pounds of the head on the wall, and better luck next time?

They say that God looks favorably on Marines and small animals . .

. . . evidently so (author of above post is a Marine).

MORAL OF THE STORY:

If you drill a hole in your barrel chamber, you've just bought yourself an expensive lesson in "measure twice, cut once", as your barrel is now trashed and UNSAFE TO USE

This guy is very lucky he didn't blow his hand or head off . . .

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Sounds like he fired off four 10/32" projectiles while he was at it. Hope no one else was around! Whew!!! Just tell me he doesn't live in New Mexico!

Edited by WaffenSchmied

Comonsense 101 should be taught in school.

That is nothing short of pure, utter stupidity.

I've had some Mother F'n, WTF barrel pins!!! but NEVER had one that didn't lose.

That is a total lack of knowledge and understanding which could have been prevented.

Marine?? Well, can't hold that against him.

(could explain a little bit though)

LOL

It dont matter how much you spend on a education, You cant buy common sense.

JB weld na.....solder man solder!!!!!

LOL! There isn't enough solder to fill a hole that big! Nothing left to do but stick a fork in it and pony up for another barrel.... :dollar:

WS

It dont matter how much you spend on a education, You cant buy common sense.

JB weld na.....solder man solder!!!!!

LOL! There isn't enough solder to fill a hole that big! Nothing left to do but stick a fork in it and pony up for another barrel.... :dollar:

WS

I dont know about that, the lad sounds like the determent type....

Thanks Nalioth. Posts like this could save a rookie builders life. I am fortunate to have common sense. That is why I have not tried to build a gun. I know I don't know enough to do it. Just converting the Saiga taught a lot about AKs and that I would need to learn volumes of information before a building one.

I wonder if those pieces shot out as fast a bullet.