Got me a new Saiga... now just wondering about converting.

Why do you lose the BHO converting?? Its also a good way to make your gun compliant.

The BHO only applies to compliance of rules at some gun ranges. No law requires it. Factory issued AK's do not come with a BHO. Saigas do for importation approval. You can easily reassemble the FCG with the BHO during conversion if you wish, or you can leave it out.

Edited by GregM1

If you are already thinking about doing the conversion I would say go for it. I did the same thing, talked myself out of it, then regreted it. IMO you will buy the tapco stuff then regret it everytime you see a converted saiga. Save the money and go for the conversion. You will never make up the loss if you get the non conversion parts, then convert later. After you are done you will realize how easy it really is and how low the chance is of actually ruining your gun.

Here is a good vid that helped me the most. After watching it and figuring out how easy it look I was sold. http://vimeo.com/2787027

GL and make sure you post pics after your done!

• Like 1

Why do you lose the BHO converting?? Its also a good way to make your gun compliant.

The BHO only applies to compliance of rules at some gun ranges. No law requires it. Factory issued AK's do not come with a BHO. Saigas do for importation approval. You can easily reassemble the FCG with the BHO during conversion if you wish, or you can leave it out.

I got the impression from videos that putting the BHO was tricky, but if it's not, then I could give it a shot. Either way, it's not a huge deal.

I think you're right about the satisfaction thing.

Thanks for the advice and parts list. I think I'll try those places, and see how much it'd cost for a set up. The import config Saiga looks nekkid without a pistol grip and 30 round mag, but I'd rather wait until I can afford to do it right rather than go halfway.

Edited by Mateusz

If you are already thinking about doing the conversion I would say go for it. I did the same thing, talked myself out of it, then regreted it. IMO you will buy the tapco stuff then regret it everytime you see a converted saiga. Save the money and go for the conversion. You will never make up the loss if you get the non conversion parts, then convert later. After you are done you will realize how easy it really is and how low the chance is of actually ruining your gun.

Here is a good vid that helped me the most. After watching it and figuring out how easy it look I was sold. http://vimeo.com/2787027

GL and make sure you post pics after your done!

I've been talking myself in and out of it, but it looks like deep down I want to. I'll just save up for the parts and do the whole thing. That video does make it look pretty easy.

Thanks! When I have all the parts and am ready, I'll make sure to take pics.

One question though, how can I tell if I need to cut a new hole for the trigger or not? I've heard that some Saigas already have the hole cut, while for others, I need to cut into the receiver when I move the trigger forward. Can I tell just by looking at my gun now if I need to?

Edited by Mateusz

I took my rifle down and looked inside and could see the holes in mine. You should have the trigger hole, I think some come without the PG hole, but you should be able to see it too by looking down in it with a light while its broke down.

As far as the BHO some like it, some done. I chose not to keep mine simply because I am going to modify my safety latch to double as the BHO.(you can find how to do that here as well, pretty simple) Some people dont keep the BHO because it gets in the way of trigger pull if you dont trim it down. If you would like to keep it you just simply need to buy an already modified hammer, or modify the hammer on your own. To modify the Hammer you have to trim down the BHO side a little.(dont know how much but you can find out simply by trolling threw most the conversion threads.

I think I saw a video on youtube on how to install the BHO, the only tricky part about it I could see is getting the little spring back in. Just need patience.

Oh and as far as all the parts and what not. I got all my conversion parts at http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront except for my bullet guide I had to grab from Dinzag http://www.dinzagarms.com/

CSS has some great customer service and fast shipping! But you can get the parts from several diff vendors here.

Edited by chevyman097
  • Like 1

My main concern is the cost, though not wanting to potentially turn my rifle into a $300 paperweight is also an issue.

If I can do it, then you can too. I am far from mechanically inclined and managed to pull it off. Admittedly, it took a while, but it goes much quicker with better tools. (First conversion: months of on and off work; latest conversion: a couple of hours).

My main concern is the cost, though not wanting to potentially turn my rifle into a $300 paperweight is also an issue.

If I can do it, then you can too. I am far from mechanically inclined and managed to pull it off. Admittedly, it took a while, but it goes much quicker with better tools. (First conversion: months of on and off work; latest conversion: a couple of hours).

There is a guy on youtube that did a 5 part conversion. The trickiest part was the bho, but he shows you how to do it with a string. I suguest having an extra hand to push the pin in while you hold everything. I was worried about converting mine but I said screw it and did it. All in all it was simple. My .308 I didnt even need to drill out my trigger pins.

Here is his first video. Just follow his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU96VbnSoTc

Converting Restoring a Saiga 7.62x39 is easy-peasy, Japanesey. :D I've restored a couple Saiga-12's myself, which is much more hairy, (gotta cut a pistol-grip hole yourself etc), with a garage workbench and hand-tools, (+ a basic Dremel). Just take your time, and get it right. I call it a restoration rather than a "conversion" because you're restoring the weapon to the way it was always meant to be, (proper AK stock, trigger group etc), and the way it would arrive from the factory, if "our" unconstitutional BATFE weren't involved. <_<

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Take a look at my fairly recent thread in the Saiga Rifle Conversions forum: "Saiga Conversion Observations". I converted my .223 Saiga a few weeks ago, and it turned out great. And yes, the BHO retention complicates the conversion, but it is worth doing, IMO. Just make sure you use quality cobalt drill bits!

Hope this helps...

Vista

Restored a new .223 tonight, and the gun has never been fired. Took about 3 hours sitting at the dining room table. Once you convert, it will become apparent how much better the new FCG . Convert and when you sell, you will get your money back and then some.

• Like 1

You can do a basic conversion for right around $100.

Tapco AK stock - $30

Pistol Grip w/ nut - $20

G2 FCG - $28

Shepherds Crook - $3 (or easier retaining plate for $10)

Hole Plugs - $3

Total - $84 (add around $20-$25 for a bullet guide kit if you want to use surplus mags rather than Saiga specific mags)

In the long run the Tapco all in one stock will cost more as you can look through old posts and see that almost everyone who gets one ends up doing the full conversion anyway. I know as I have one sitting on a shelf in the closet.

I, like most others who have posted here, started out thinking "why convert when you can add the Tapco all in one stock?" Then after looking around this sight long enough and reading thread after thread on why to convert, finally the picture gallery in the x39 section sold me. I saw a Tapco in one post and an AK103 clone in another and lost all interest in the Tapco right there. IMO it looks ridiculous and add nothing to these guns. I would suggest you take your time and slowly get parts if need be and do a proper conversion. I did my first one in my lazyboy in front of my computer with a screwdriver, some needle nose and cordless drill, using the old butt stock as a hammer :ded: . After you are done you will say to yourself "I got all worked up for that". Then you will know you have the Saiga sickness and want to modify more and get one in every caliber. Good luck and welcome to the club.

I took my rifle down and looked inside and could see the holes in mine. You should have the trigger hole, I think some come without the PG hole, but you should be able to see it too by looking down in it with a light while its broke down.

As far as the BHO some like it, some done. I chose not to keep mine simply because I am going to modify my safety latch to double as the BHO.(you can find how to do that here as well, pretty simple) Some people dont keep the BHO because it gets in the way of trigger pull if you dont trim it down. If you would like to keep it you just simply need to buy an already modified hammer, or modify the hammer on your own. To modify the Hammer you have to trim down the BHO side a little.(dont know how much but you can find out simply by trolling threw most the conversion threads.

I think I saw a video on youtube on how to install the BHO, the only tricky part about it I could see is getting the little spring back in. Just need patience.

Oh and as far as all the parts and what not. I got all my conversion parts at http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront except for my bullet guide I had to grab from Dinzag http://www.dinzagarms.com/

CSS has some great customer service and fast shipping! But you can get the parts from several diff vendors here.

Thanks. I'm looking at the parts form CSS, and it doesn't seem too expensive. I noticed the Tromix modified trigger group to be $45, and the Tapco to be $27. Is the Tromix one better, or could I get either one? I'll probably order the flat bullet guide from Dinzag. Ah, the BHO isn't a huge issue, but if it's not too much trouble, I'll try putting that one in too.

Converting Restoring a Saiga 7.62x39 is easy-peasy, Japanesey. :D I've restored a couple Saiga-12's myself, which is much more hairy, (gotta cut a pistol-grip hole yourself etc), with a garage workbench and hand-tools, (+ a basic Dremel). Just take your time, and get it right. I call it a restoration rather than a "conversion" because you're restoring the weapon to the way it was always meant to be, (proper AK stock, trigger group etc), and the way it would arrive from the factory, if "our" unconstitutional BATFE weren't involved. <_<

Yeah... after thinking it over, and all the comments, I just can't justify spending the money for the all in one when I know I'll want to restore it to its original form anyway. It looks like I have the trigger hole, and don't need to cut the grip hole. Might check again just in case. If I don't have a Dremel, do I need to go out and buy one, or can I use something else. A lot of people are talking about using them, but I don't have one right now.

Take a look at my fairly recent thread in the Saiga Rifle Conversions forum: "Saiga Conversion Observations". I converted my .223 Saiga a few weeks ago, and it turned out great. And yes, the BHO retention complicates the conversion, but it is worth doing, IMO. Just make sure you use quality cobalt drill bits!

Hope this helps...

Vista

It does help. I don't know if I have the cobalt bits (need to check), but if not, I'll run down to the local hardware store.

A standard G2 FCG works in the 7.62. Save the cash on that. Get the retainer plate (for rifles).

Some stores have ROTARTY tools (Harbor freight) for like $30 vs. the dremel 2 speed for $40-50.

I went CSS for all the conversion parts, and then ordered the bullet guide from Dinz for $26 that came with the bit/tap/screw.

You'll find getting the guts OUT easy.. They fall out almost. Drilling the 2 current pins takes less than 3 mins (go slow as not to mark the receiver, you just want to get the edge off of the current pins).

The GRAY colored pins fall out when you pull out the retainer wire. Don't drill or pound on them.. Ok..

The plate will aggravate you for 15-20 mins. The center weld (for the existing trigger guard) will haunt you another 15-20. But for 2-3 hours of learning and YOU did it yourself.. Priceless. 027.gif

Plenty of videos on here and snap shots.

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine

>_< right... the single hook. Thanks for catching that. Ok, so if I got that one instead, my set up is just fine otherwise?

I guess lastly, is there anything I need to know about pistol grips? Like particular brands, or additional parts?

Edited by Mateusz

A double hook is not necassary, but if you decide to use one, you will need to cut a second slot on the opposite side of the trigger hole for the second hook to work. Single hooks are perfectly fine in a saiga and they are usually cheaper too.

>_< right... the single hook. Thanks for catching that. Ok, so if I got that one instead, my set up is just fine otherwise?

I guess lastly, is there anything I need to know about pistol grips? Like particular brands, or additional parts?

I love the Hogue ak pistol grip, I have heard some complaints thats its too small for large hands. Fits me perfect though. I think I have seen the ergo ak grip recommended in place of the hogue if you have larger hands(somone send him in the right direction if that isnt the one im thinking of).

• Like 1

The Hogue grip looked like it was the most comfortable. Though, I'd seen this Dragunov style stock with foregrips from Cheaper Than Dirt. I'm wondering if it's be better to go with the Dragnov or a PG/Stock configuration. The Dragunov is tempting, since it'd be more comfortable for shooting prone or on a table, but I don't know about the ergonomics. Anyone have any experience with that type of stock, and would you recommend it over the PG/Stock combo (I'm looking for a solid stock, not a collapsible or folder).

Really I dont think you can compare them as being "better" than the other. Its will come down to preferences. The dragunov stocks are sweet, but a dragunov is on my long list of firearms to buy027.gif , so ill stick to the PG on my saiga.

Edited by chevyman097
  • Like 1

The Hogue grip looked like it was the most comfortable. Though, I'd seen this Dragunov style stock with foregrips from Cheaper Than Dirt. I'm wondering if it's be better to go with the Dragnov or a PG/Stock configuration. The Dragunov is tempting, since it'd be more comfortable for shooting prone or on a table, but I don't know about the ergonomics. Anyone have any experience with that type of stock, and would you recommend it over the PG/Stock combo (I'm looking for a solid stock, not a collapsible or folder).

Anything you can find at CTD can be found cheaper elsewhere. I had a Saiga Skeleton stock on my rifle for a while when I first got it. It was a great feel on the rifle. Very solid. Now I have a Kvar pistol grip and buttstock. They feel equally stable with each other. Both setups are very strong, its just going to be a matter of personal preference for you. I think the PG/Bttstck combo is better since the lowest part of bttstck does not sit as low as the skeleton. It is lighter also since there is less material.

** You could also check out the MDArms subsection of this forum. He has in design (and I hope, soon to be released) Molot and Izhmash Style pistol grip. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=44323

Edited by GregM1