Can I join your club

Just opened the box this morning :) 2009 production year, dimpled reciever, no Y stamp (though im not 100% sure where it is supposed to be, and a threaded barrel. I can actually see the first thread poking out from the FSB shroud so I dont have to cut and pray to find out.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

I'm very pleased with my new rifle but now I'm posed with a delema. I wasnt expecting the skeleton stock that came on it (I ha dto order it though a dealers warehouse), and I like it very much; the cheek rest is very nice (IMHO) and the length is perfect for me. So now I dont know if I want to convert it, but I know I want to make it legal to use ak mags.

My one dissapointment was in the finish. I wasn't pleased with the finish on the reciever, in places it had small chips, and was just cheap looking. I then remembered that the rifle cost 350, and I should be happy it had any finish.

And finally, being a simple person, one found the small cleaning kit that came with the weapon, and just thought it was awesome.

Edited by Osiris7442

looks good, My new one had small chips, too...It just how they come. factory testing must be rough...

My question is, why do all new saiga boxes all have what looks like a bullet hole thru the 'm'? ...

Mine had the same hole in the exact same place. I've seen other boxes on here with it, too....what gives?

If you do the conversion, you would have to ditch the stock anyways, since the conversion moves the trigger group forward about 1". If you like the skeleton stocks, though, there are a couple of vendors who offer them. Choate has one, there's one in the ATI "Fiberforce" line, and there's at least one more that I'm forgetting who makes it. I would definitely do the conversion, it's worth it!

Congratulations on your new addiction... If it hasn't hit you yet, it will soon.

Here's a converted Saiga with a Choate stock and an Ultimak rail:

060-1.jpg

-7.62_Scout

Welcome aboard. Nice looking Saiga.

You don't have to convert. They're good guns out of the box. Shoot the hell out of it. If you find something you don't care for that converting will correct, then go for it. Usually people gripe about the stock trigger pull. It is heavy, but it's also consistent. You can get used to it. But, if not, converting will make it a lot lighter.

Some also like the quicker handling of the AK configuration. I'm used to hunting rifles and the unconverted Saiga feels quite natural to me, so mine will stay unconverted for the foreseeable future.

Bob

Here's a converted Saiga with a Choate stock and an Ultimak rail:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/okstatepilot/Saiga%20Config%201/060-1.jpg

-7.62_Scout

Yeah, but look at how the back of the receiver is carved up to make that fit!

Is it carved up, or does the stock just fit over it? I would doubt any carving of the receiver is needed to fit the stock.

That stock fits right over the receiver like that, no carving is required.

Yep, my bad, optical confusion on my part.

I know I've seen other types of receivers/stocks that are "non-standard".

Maybe I just got the MAC-90 type of a thing in my head when I saw that.

Nice stock once I see how it fits. :rolleyes::)