Draco sling attachment

Hi guys

I've got a new Draco pistol and will be adding a single point sling to it shortly. I know I can't add a stock to it without registering it as a SBR. But what I'm wondering is, if I drill a couple holes in the backplate and attack a metal (or rope for that matter) loop, but happen to drill the holes in the same location that I'd eventually use to install a stock, would I get in trouble for "intent to assemble" a SBR, do you think?

How about if the holes are smaller than what I'd need for the stock, but still in the same location, and not threaded? That way I could open them up down the road, if/when I decide to go the SBR route.

Here's a quick drawing of the backplate with loop like I want:

loop.jpg

Here's my Draco:

Draco.jpg

Thanks

Corbin

I bet you're okay as long as you don't have the folder and stock laying around. There are plenty of guns manufactured as pistols that can readily accept a stock...AR pistols, Sig 556P, HK 89, etc.

Of course, I'm just some random dude on the internet too.

I can see both sides of it. I've never owned an AR pistol, but they look like they'd take a stock pretty easily, if someone had the intent (which I don't). But they COME readily adaptable. The Draco doesn't.

The sling I'll be using has a clip/carabiner to attach to the Draco. I'll need some sort of loop for that to clip onto. Instead of a metal loop, I might do a paracord one instead. We'll see. I'm waiting to receive the sling, so it'll help determine what I'll want on the Draco as far as attachment goes.

I do not intend to do anything illegal. I'm just getting opinions on sling attachment and if this method would cause legal issues. I won't be attaching a stock to it unless I have the proper paperwork. I don't even HAVE any spare stocks anyway.

Corbin

*EDIT* WS, I picked it up for $420.00 at a local shop. I know they can be had cheaper, but by the time I would have paid shipping and the FFL transfer, I wouldn't have saved a lot. Plus, this way I could handle it before buying it to look for canted sights, gas blocks on weird, etc.

Edited by Corbin

Corbin,

Hello my MI brother, to bad we can't SBR right?! No you will not be violating any federal or MI laws. If you look at a Kel-Tecs PLR-16 they come stock with the same thing that your looking to do. You are not modifying the receiver in anyway to be able to accept a stock so your not doing anything illegal. Also there are a ton of different options out there that aren't as "touchy subject" as this one. If you need any help let me know by PM.

YARP

In my not so expert opinion I would think your idea of drilling holes smaller than what you would need to add a stock would be good insurance anyway. I think it would be hard to argue intent if the holes are the wrong size. That's just my 2 cents and that's probably about what it's worth.

Edited by DogMan
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not a hole sized for one of these push button quick disconnects?

Push20Button20Swivel.jpg

I'm not sure how thick/thin those require the back plate to be. The Draco's plate is thicker than I thought it would be. Around 1/4" I think.

Corbin

Well to avoid any issue just attach a loop of para cord around the base of the pg nut and feed it out the back of the grip. Mine is on its way and I intend to use this method until I decide wether I want to drill a hole for the quick detach sling swivel above, or something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Here ya go. Simple webbing secured by PG nut.

04.jpg

01.jpg

^ Man, somebody spent a lot of money on accessorizing this pistol. It does look good though, and that method of sling attachment does seem the most "safe".

That said, I would probably drill, tap, and use a hole in the rear receiver plate for a sling swivel, in one of the 4 corners that you'd normally use to attach a stock. If it's not illegal and it's more ideal, I say do it.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

04.jpg

01.jpg

^ Man, somebody spent a lot of money on accessorizing this pistol. It does look good though, and that method of sling attachment does seem the most "safe".

That said, I would probably drill, tap, and use a hole in the rear receiver plate for a sling swivel, in one of the 4 corners that you'd normally use to attach a stock. If it's not illegal and it's more ideal, I say do it.

Is that a California type bullet shroud? Why have it on there if you are from Florida?

Edited by Berzerker2

04.jpg

01.jpg

Is that a California type bullet shroud? Why have it on there if you are from Florida?

The post directly above yours is him saying that it's not his Draco.

Why not a hole sized for one of these push button quick disconnects?

Push20Button20Swivel.jpg

I'm not sure how thick/thin those require the back plate to be. The Draco's plate is thicker than I thought it would be. Around 1/4" I think.

Corbin

1/2" drill, 9/16" tap, GrovTec QD swivels and cups:

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

I did mine with a hand drill, and it's slightly off center, but it's not going anywhere!

• Like 1

There's also the VM-1 Draco sling mount:

639b665b1be567d383f2c69fdc932222.image.550x550.jpg

Kinda pricey for what it is ($30), but is very secure, from what I read. The PG nut/screw goes through it, ensuring it won't come loose. I'd personally go with the setup in MT's post. That, or use a small piece of 550 paracord around the PG nut/screw and attach a sling directly to that. Same end result.

• 2 weeks later...

I am picking up a Draco at the end of this month after it arrives at the fun shop I bought it from. I plan on just getting that VM-1 mount for my sling. I was originally thinking of ditzing around with the cord or the web set ups but I think I'll just bite the bullet and shell out the $30. I have a Condor Products mini drag bag fot it and am also sending off for an alternate front foregrip set up. I just haven't figured out which set up I want to use yet.

Check out this pimped out AK pistol captured on a raid of a Mexican drug cartel leaders hacienda...

post-24333-0-20722500-1294443318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Berzerker2

ordered the VM1 today as well.. By the time I bought the right tap and sling mount and did irreversible modification to the trunion I'd rather just spend 30 for the VM1

also, I kind of want that gold draco but based on the PG and HG's gonna have to think it's just spraypainted =(.

04.jpg

01.jpg

The post directly above yours is him saying that it's not his Draco.

Ah haaaa...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...