You remember how much fun it used to be as a kid riding bikes? But then when we got cars, the fun died because it was too much work for the results you got.

Well, here's the solution...

My bike.

I built it around 7 years ago, & it has some mods... With increased air intake, I have had it up to 42mph on a slight downgrade.

I have also fucked my self up good a few times crashing it.

I started out with a cruiser, because they sit you back & I want to be positioned rearward when hitting the brakes at speed, so I don't fly over the bars.

Bike1.jpg

49cc bicycle engine with 5 speed internal centrifugal transmission

Bike2.jpg

Rear view of the chain drive & angle iron that I used to avoid the chain jumping. (The support posts it comes with are aluminium. Good for the left side, but flex too much for the drive side)

Bike4.jpg

The drive gear gos on an adapter that mounts where the gear pack mounts, then the gear pack mounts to the adapter.

The bike comes as a 7 speed, so replacing it with a 5 speed pack made it fit perfect.

The Motor has a centrifugal clutch, so I can pedal instead of using the motor if I want.

Bike3-1.jpg

The tensioner makes this type of vertical chain drive possible without the chain jumping on rough terrain. It's made of 2 washers & a skateboard wheel bearing in the middle.

Bike5.jpg

Cantilever brakes on aluminum wheels or disk are a MUST & GOOD front shocks should be used. Not only do the shocks help for speed, but you don't want the front wheel bouncing around at speed. Also, you come up on stuff fast. You need the protection of a front shock.

Bike6.jpg

A 2 gal gas tank from a leaf blower takes you 240+ miles. (The breather is needed to avoid vapor lock & overspill during temp induced pressure changes)

I intend on putting on a small tank in the correct place as a regular motorcycle, but I'm waiting till I find an old chrome honda tank.

Bike8.jpg

& of course lighting.

Bike7.jpg

It's a lot of fun.

I made one out of a chainsaw, but it didn't work nearly as well & no tranny.

These engines are made specifically for bikes.

Here's where I bought my motor. I used my own rim, with their hardware.

I made the above for practicality, but I'm thinking of one of these for style,

chopper.jpg

& mounting one on a tandem bike for date fun. :D

The one above has over 5000 miles on it & does 80 mile trips with no issues.

Average speed, sitting straight up, on a flat road is about 30mph.

Up STEEP hills, it's about 10-15 depending on if you pedal.

In the city, it keeps up with cars no problem.

Yeah...

I'm kinda a dork with this stuff. ^_^

• Like 1

That's awesome, man. Ever since I was little, I've wanted to throw a small engine on a regular bike. I have no idea why.

I even recently saw my old 20" Haro that I gave to my younger cousin, years ago. He doesn't ride it anymore..........and my first thought was "Hmmmmm, now might be the time to stick a frickin' motor on this thing!".

We're going to need video of this thing in action, Pauly. Like now.

That's awesome, man. Ever since I was little, I've wanted to throw a small engine on a regular bike. I have no idea why.

I even recently saw my old 20" Haro that I gave to my younger cousin, years ago. He doesn't ride it anymore..........and my first thought was "Hmmmmm, now might be the time to stick a frickin' motor on this thing!".

We're going to need video of this thing in action, Pauly. Like now.

It's every kids dream.

You get mixed results from every class & type of person.

Self conscious people roll their eyes, but engineering people love it. Even "hard-ass" types love it.

There are a bunch of little reed valve motors out there from the pocket bike craze, they don't need the tranny, because they rev much higher (they're smaller too), I think I'll make my next one from one of those. I already have a lead on a cool little "chopper"

3nf3pb3oa5O35T55R9a3211cea201f41910.jpg

I think it would look sweet with ape hangers & a 3' sissy bar with a gothic cross in the center :devil:

I wear the same skull cap helmet that I had for real scooters when I ride it if I wear a helmet.

As for all the dudes that are unsure why you seem drawn to it, it's because it's so cool!

It is Sooooo fun, it gets around faster than a bus & it's like coasting down hill all the time.

It is faster than a moped too... Think about it. Mopeds have a hell of a lot more weight, & their powered by the same size motor.

I want to get a front wheel motor to supplement & make it 2 wheel drive, & also so I don't piss off the yuppies as much when I'm bombing the park trails...

That's what makes these so cool...

You can ride them virtually anywhere!

Portland is called the most bike friendly city in the country, we have a TON of ultra liberals who ride everywhere & I piss them off constantly when I blow past them & blow blue smoke as I go by from my 2 cycle... They see that I have corrupted a bicycle with not just any motor, but a 2 cycle that pollutes more than any car. It's AWESOME! :devil:

Also, you don't even know how cool it is to be at a stop light by these Lance Armstrong wannabes, all decked out in spandex, with shaved legs riding a $4,000 bike & looking like their in the Tour De' France.

When they shoot me a look of contempt, (as they always do) I light a cigarette (& usually have a cup of coffee in my left hand) & when the light turns green, I let them pull ahead, because they always seem to want to "show me" then when I'm passing them I say "Comeon man! Keep up! It's about endurance! You can do it!" :devil: And they seeth! Yes, seeth.

It's just absolutely glorious!

& yeah, I do need a vid.

I'm confused...

Your not required to have plates on it?

If it didn't have pedals It would.

If a cop having a bad day actually studied the law AND found me going over 25mph he could give me hassle, but only 1 has ever stopped me, & it was for a helmet violation (I wasn't wearing one), but since it's a "power assist" (It REALLY assists) motor, I'm not required to wear a helmet, so I fought it in court & won.

When the officer was harassing me, he really tried to find something illegal. He even called his sergeant, but there is little difference between this & an electric bike legally. If asked, I would say it's 35cc, just to avoid any hassle about displacement. The law changes depending on city & county sometimes.

There are some laws that have come about reguarding pocket bikes, but I've not checked them for the last 7 years.

I suppose I should, but I've recently seen more around. None have plates. They're real cheap transportation that doesn't require insurance, so great in a down economy.

Edited by Paulyski

At least it's better than the mini-bike I got behind in Greensboro, NC on Monday. Kid you not. It was one like from the movie "Dumb and Dumber". Smoking, doing about 15mph, guy about 250lbs with a heavy coat and a 70's style motorcycle helmet. Was way to amuzed to get upset. Nailbomb, a lot of states don't require plate below certain hp/cc rating. Also why interstate has those no to moped/animal vehicle warning signs on the entrances.

I too have always wanted a bicycle with a motor on it. I have been thinking about doing an electric bike that I can ride to work and then charge it at work:) Maybe even powering a car alternator by pedaling. I feel that around here the cops would be less likely to give me a hard time if I did not have a gas motor. I have been told that if it has a motor, then it needs to be registered, and have a plate.

RalphXL

I too have always wanted a bicycle with a motor on it. I have been thinking about doing an electric bike that I can ride to work and then charge it at work:) Maybe even powering a car alternator by pedaling. I feel that around here the cops would be less likely to give me a hard time if I did not have a gas motor. I have been told that if it has a motor, then it needs to be registered, and have a plate.

RalphXL

I actually like debating grey laws.

If the difference is simply internal combustion, then everyone should be able to drive electric cars without registering them.

The fact remains that the liberals that push for more laws embrace electric bikes as a power assist, the gas is power assist also, so therein lies the grey areas. They will be damned if their precious electric bikes should be registered.

Toys R Us was carrying a Zee-Bike for $299 that the best buy across the street was selling for $600.00 a few months ago.

It's a neat little system with detachable batteries that mount on the side of a special bike rack. The Little thing can really boogie, & if you bought a spare battery, you could keep one at work charging & have one at home & just switch them whenever. Also one could keep the spare on the other side of the bike to extend the range.

All electric could be really cool so it doesn't scare the dog & for close jaunts.

I was using this one for fun, but also to go to work as a spare vehicle when I first got it.

I could make my 25 mile commute in less than an hour... Try that on a bus system. It won't happen.

Also, In emergencies, such as when my car broke down, my folks were at the coast & I had to run out to their house 45 miles away (where no buses run) to help my grandfather before he passed, I was able to.

Electric bikes have about a 20 mile range. Good for fun & close, bad for distance.

At any rate, it's like coasting down a long hill non-stop. It's really fun.

I hit 52MPH coming down Mt Mitchel on my Kestrel and it was all me and Gravity!

:D But that bike does remind me of something that a movie star would ride! Now who was it.... Oh yeah!

peewee_herman1.jpg

Sorry, when you put the bad mouth on Lance, you crossed the line! :lolol:

Edited by Azrial

Hey, Lance is all good...

It's the 20,000 spandex wearing shaved leged dudes that warship him that I like to screw with. :D

& if I could have found a pewee-herman bike to put it on, I likely would have done it! :super:

I'm sure I could get it to go faster if I mounted it on a road bike, but I'm sacred of those... Too flimsy.

I've wrecked pretty bad on that thing & it's very sturdy.

I've walked around sore & looking like Frankenstein for a couple of months after wrecking at speed on it.

Paulyski you are a decent fellow, I am just kind of messing with you, just because I am a Spandex wearing road guy. But engineering is not your forte!

The average medium quality road bike will be MUCH stronger then the that heavy cantaleaved frame that you have there. I am not disparaging your ride, but heavy is not necessarily strong. When I was training hard, I could stroke so hard that a mild steel welded frame like that would deflect so bad that my pedal arms would hit the frame with every rotation! That is a HUGE amount of wasted energy. I could do it now, riding up a steep hill.

By the way, I have never shaved my legs, even when racing. But the reason guys do it is not for wind drag, but to make it easier to scrub out the dirt and asphalt from road rash with a tooth brush when you crash! 015.gif It is just a popular way to attack men that have the endurance to race a bike across a state(s), by guys don't have the strength to ride one around the block.

Edited by Azrial

Paulyski you are a decent fellow, I am just kind of messing with you, just because I am a Spandex wearing road guy. But engineering is not your forte!

The average medium quality road bike will be MUCH stronger then the that heavy cantaleaved frame that you have there.

However the AVERAGE medium quality road bike costs over $500 just to get in the door.

There are many reasons I decided to go with that platform.

If they were available at the time, I would have gone with this one: I wanna buy one anyhow, just to ride with no motor.

That Trek Calypso ran me $235.00. (oh, & it's aluminium)

I seriously doubt that a decent road bike could be found for that price, even if it were used. (unless it was hot)

But the reason I chose the cruiser frame is for hard breaking & intending on possibly accidentally crashing into stuff. It sits you back on the bike farther therefore making the rear wheel less likely to lift if you suddenly SLAM on the breaks or hit something.

Also I was more concerned with having the ability to fit balloon tires on it & double walled mountain bike rims for strength at a decent price.

In addition to wheel strength I desire width so the tire doesn't get caught in road cracks & throw me. My original intent was to put downhill rims on it, but then I found the tires are actually too wide & the motor's chain would rub.

Back when I did it, the bike & motor cost less than $800.00.

I did it on the cheap because I didn't have much money.

The Marzooki Bomber shocks were a hand me down from a buddy who does downhill racing. A takeoff from his hard tail. (FREE!)

Any road bike of decent rigidity would cost more than the bike & motor combined.

My friends who ride road bikes drop $2,000 on just the frame. A steel fixed gear is still over $1,000.

I rode my buddies mid 70's Frechi (high end mid 70's steel / magnesium road bike) & the thing felt ridiculously flimsy to me.

This along with rider positioning is what is in the back of my mind when I was choosing platforms.

That & comfort. Riding bent over with my neck bent back is uncomfortable & gives me a headache after a while.

Great bike! Hope you wear your full leathers now when you're at speed! Have you ever done a mountain bike like this?

nyclu3

Nah.

Mountain bikes set you forward more than I wanted.

I wanted to be tilted back a touch more to get the most out of my front break.

I actually have a cup of coffee & a cigarette in my left hand & control the front break & throttle with my right half the time when I'm riding.

The only time I NEED both hands is when keeping up with cars in stop & go traffic.

You must pedal assist to start as fast as a car & I need both hands to pedal hard. But for cruising, I like to relax & take in the scenery.

Edited by Paulyski

Oddly enough, I have a BikeE Recumbent with a motor on it as well. I never ride it because of the motor! Perhaps I should sell the motor or even the whole rig here!