Jack Travers worked on my Saiga today

I spent some time today with Jack Travers, he is one of the nicest down to earth person you could ever meet. Jack is in the process of moving his shop, so I figured I get some work done since it will be a while until he gets all his machines up and running again. Talk about equipment, state of the art milling and metal turning machines, not to mention his bead blasting and sand blasting machines. Jack has everything to make a gun from a block of steel.

My wife works at a machine shop and was going to get all the work done for me but when the owner found out all the work was on a gun, they told her they could not do the work. No great loss, thanks to jack he is equipped to handle all the work I am going to need done. Plus he is right down the street from me literaly. Watch out Jack I will be hanging out to learn more about gunsmithing. Enough of the babbling. Here are the pics.

This is the side of the receiver with the scope rail chopped off before I took it to Jack. Now its nice and clean no holes or extra rivets sticking out.

post-22569-12703413266706_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703414378073_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703414474324_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703414587002_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703414683696_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703414777219_thumb.jpg

post-22569-1270341490555_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703415024503_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703415576108_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703415705108_thumb.jpg

post-22569-12703415849914_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sumsky

NICE! That is some serious equipment 032.gif

Yeah, you are right. That is some serious metal working equipment. My wife works at a machine shop so I have seen some stuff. I was shocked when I saw Jacks equipment. No job too large or small for his equipment to handle, and not to mention his knowledge on Guns.

Now the question is how long till it's done? tongue.gif

Duracoat is looking at me as I smack these keys. Thats the last step. It took me two months before I had the nerves to gut the receiver.

I will be building anothet S12. My next 12 will be done by Jack.

You want to be careful where you attach your ground clamp. In the pic, it is right across the SAIGA=12 engraving and may very well be across the serial number on the other side. If the connection is poor, it will arc and blow a chunk of metal right out of the engraving. Not a big deal on a $500 Saiga, but your ass will be in a sling if you do that with a $25,000 transferable M60.

Tony

You want to be careful where you attach your ground clamp. In the pic, it is right across the SAIGA=12 engraving and may very well be across the serial number on the other side. If the connection is poor, it will arc and blow a chunk of metal right out of the engraving. Not a big deal on a $500 Saiga, but your ass will be in a sling if you do that with a $25,000 transferable M60.

Tony

Ouch, that would be a mistake that could put you out of business. So has someone fucked up a m60 that way before?

Tony

Hey, your supposed to be busy building guns!! Good point, I generally keep it on the edge or barrel clamp and it is an extremely strong/clean clamp, BUT if you notice, the clamp is longer on the serial numbered side is actually sitting on the sheetmetal edge, not on the casting. We are going Class III shortly mainly cans for the long guns/tactical competition. Derek bought the indoor shooting range and we have the warehouse adjoining the range to move the shop to. Nice to be able and walk 50 feet and be able to test fire now!! I was going to bounch in your way when Strader puts on the next Pro-Am Competion at USSA.

Regards,

Jack

PS: I am actually much better looking in real life than in the pics!! :lolol: