Marked Improvement With '74 Style Brake?

Just a question for you guys using the '74 style muzzle brakes.. Do you see a marked improvement in the way your rifle shoots with this attached over not having a muzzle attachment? I don't have any complaints about my 7.62 the way it is.. it shoots very nicely without any muzzle attachment. It does have a slight bit of climb when trying to fire quickly or trying to fire and aquire a new target rapidly. I'm just trying to find out if this is a worthwhile mod.

If it's worth doing, I plan to just buy the tap and die and do my threading, then I'll have what I need to thread my next conversion. But if it's not going to be much of an improvement, I'll just save the $70 or $80.

from all I've heard (not experience first hand) most of the 74 style attachments for the 47 are just for looks.. do nothing productive, just elongate your barrel and make it heavier.. I'd go with the traditional 47 break.. simple.. kind of ugly, but effective, love mine.

Edited by volkov

after i installed my brake i noticed the gun does not make a flash anymore out the muzzle (even tho the brake is not a flash hider) it still has a little climb, i noticed when i was resting the gun on the truck bed and shooting. other then that it feels pretty much the same.

..It does have a slight bit of climb when trying to fire quickly or trying to fire and aquire a new target rapidly...

These are a couple issues that the 74-type brake helps to minimize. The faster you're firing, the more the brake helps tame muzzle rise and keep you on target.

It should be noted that only 74-type brakes that are accurate copies of the original Russian design have much of an effect. Tapco brakes, for example, are worthless.. except as fishing weights. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Just a question for you guys using the '74 style muzzle brakes.. Do you see a marked improvement in the way your rifle shoots with this attached over not having a muzzle attachment? I don't have any complaints about my 7.62 the way it is.. it shoots very nicely without any muzzle attachment. It does have a slight bit of climb when trying to fire quickly or trying to fire and aquire a new target rapidly. I'm just trying to find out if this is a worthwhile mod.

If it's worth doing, I plan to just buy the tap and die and do my threading, then I'll have what I need to thread my next conversion. But if it's not going to be much of an improvement, I'll just save the $70 or $80.

Most of the 74 style brakes are not really functional. The FSC47 is probably the most effective brake I have seen yet, but its not threaded for the wider Ak 74 threading.

Can anyone shoot one handed like this guy in this you tube video and not have the muzzle rise with any other brake?

Edited by my762buzz
Tapco brakes, for example, are worthless.. except as fishing weights. :D

I just wasted $18 on a fishing sinker? Ouch!! Wish I had done more research... :(

Which one do you recommend that doesn't cost more than $50? Thanks... I like the one from K-var but cost almost $80.

You didn't totally waste your money. The thing you got adds a lot of weight to the muzzle and has blowholes on the top, so it sorta does dampen the recoil.

The point these folks are trying to make is that the actual military design works so much better . . .

You'll need a 14mmLH to 24mm thread adapter (or a military AK74 front sight block) to use an actual military design, and since you don't want to spend any money, you'll need to consider configuring your parts count so you can use a Bulgarian take-off muzzle brake (you can pick these up for around 25 bucks).

From what I've heard, running a brake on a semi is more overkill than anything.

Brakes were designed to help full auto fire stay on target a little better.

I have an SGL21 and the brake it uses definitely tames muzzle flip but I'll eventually swap it out for a flash hider.

I'd just rather tame the fireball in case I was hiding out in darkness.

Yeow! Does that mean having one on your Saiga is prima facia evidence of "intent to fish" and thus requires the owner to have a valid fishing license with him when he is out and about? Well, I was going for poser points anyway, 'cause at my age the only battle I see myself in is, who has control of the TV remote.

Edited by denden

...Most of the 74 style brakes are not really functional. The FSC47 is probably the most effective brake I have seen yet, but its not threaded for the wider Ak 74 threading.

Can anyone shoot one handed like this guy in this you tube video and not have the muzzle rise with any other brake?

I'd try to recreate this test with my K-Var 74-type brake.. but unfortunately my rifle's not FA. :(

Next time I go shoot, I will try just firing as quickly as I can, 1-handed, and we'll see how well she stays on target.

I just wasted $18 on a fishing sinker? Ouch!! Wish I had done more research... :(

Which one do you recommend that doesn't cost more than $50? Thanks... I like the one from K-var but cost almost $80.

You didn't totally waste your money. The thing you got adds a lot of weight to the muzzle and has blowholes on the top, so it sorta does dampen the recoil.

The point these folks are trying to make is that the actual military design works so much better . . .

You'll need a 14mmLH to 24mm thread adapter (or a military AK74 front sight block) to use an actual military design, and since you don't want to spend any money, you'll need to consider configuring your parts count so you can use a Bulgarian take-off muzzle brake (you can pick these up for around 25 bucks).

where can i find one for around $25

...Most of the 74 style brakes are not really functional. The FSC47 is probably the most effective brake I have seen yet, but its not threaded for the wider Ak 74 threading.

I'd try to recreate this test with my K-Var 74-type brake.. but unfortunately my rifle's not FA. :(

Next time I go shoot, I will try just firing as quickly as I can, 1-handed, and we'll see how well she stays on target.

Your SGL from Arsenal should have a real functional brake. Try doing a triple tap at 10 ft, 20 ft,and 30 ft and count the hits on a 16 inch target.

I'd seriously just go with the 47 break.. you have a 7.62 ak, the most iconic and recongized gun in the world, might as well flaunt it while improving functionality rather then dress it up as something else.

I just have both the 74 and the 47.. best of both worlds.

but your gun.. your call

I just don't see the logic in having a 47 look like a 74... kind of like making a Camaro look like a vega.

I'd seriously just go with the 47 break.. you have a 7.62 ak, the most iconic and recongized gun in the world, might as well flaunt it while improving functionality rather then dress it up as something else.

but your gun.. your call

I just don't see the logic in having a 47 look like a 74... kind of like making a Camaro look like a vega.

Saigas are inherently more Ak74 in design. The 90 degree gas block stands out pretty loud.

Dressing them as an AKM is retrofitting.

Edited by my762buzz

Your SGL from Arsenal should have a real functional brake. Try doing a triple tap at 10 ft, 20 ft,and 30 ft and count the hits on a 16 inch target.

Oh, she does, and I knew that. ;) I've just never fired it FA, (obviously), or even as close as I can come to that.. one-handed. That FSC47 vid is very impressive, and I'm curious to see how the performance of my US-made true 74-type brake compares.

but your gun.. your call

Saigas are inherently more Ak74 in design. The 90 degree gas block stands out pretty loud.

Dressing them as an AKM is retrofitting.

Yep. Saiga 7.62x39 rifles are "sporterized" versions of AK-103's, (which use a 74-type brake), not AKM's. The AK-103 is a more modern design than the AK-47 or AKM, (which use the old slant brake).

. . except the "47 break" is totally worthless in semi-auto guns and almost worthless in FA guns.

Tapco_AK47_Slant_Muzzle_Brake.jpg

P.S. It's spelled B-R-A-K-E, not broken.

. . except the "47 break" is totally worthless in semi-auto guns and almost worthless in FA guns.

P.S. It's spelled B-R-A-K-E, not broken.

No, that is not correct. The slant brake does reduce climb. It allows for faster target acquisition. Granted the 103 style brake is best, but the slant DOES ITS JOB. That is all.

Just to further muddy the waters.. :D

I got a package of a few parts from K-Var today. Here's one:

arsenalcomp1.jpg

Outside the package:

arsenalcomp4.jpg

arsenalcomp5.jpg

arsenalcomp6.jpg

This muzzle device is a "AK-351 compensator" made by Arsenal of Bulgaria for both 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 rifles. It is hard-chromed and threaded 14x1mm LH. The cost is ~$20.

I bought it as a present for a friend who owns a WASR. It looks more like a flash hider than a brake, but we'll soon see :killer:

that thing looks good, thats a badass gift. i know i would be pretty happy if a friend got that for me. it sure is a big improvement from a gay looking slant brake

What impresses me the most about it is how well it's made for the price, ($20). Also, since it's made in an arms factory, (Bulgarian in this case), unlike the vast majority of US-made brakes, it's hard-chromed.

The only negative I can see is that it won't help with 922r.. but you shouldn't be counting on your muzzle device for that anyway, imo.

It'll be interesting to see how it performs. I'm sure, at the very least, it'll be superior to the slant brake.

edit: here's a couple photos of it installed, (on a WASR):

ak351comp1.jpg

ak351comp2.jpg

So I'm thinking something like this <link to K-Var 74-type brake> would actually be functional. But if I've already got threads it's a no-go. I might just save the $$$ and keep her like she is.

That's what I'm using, and it's definitely functional. If you've got threads, a 14x1 to 24x1.5 thread adapter would allow you to easily use that brake.

yeah... i just noticed that adapter. I'm wondering why I never looked through k-var's site thoroughly before. Found a lot of stuff I've been looking for there just now.

That brake kinda reminds me of the one on my amd 65, except smaller ports. how's it work on rapid fire climb?

yeah... i just noticed that adapter. I'm wondering why I never looked through k-var's site thoroughly before. Found a lot of stuff I've been looking for there just now.

That brake kinda reminds me of the one on my amd 65, except smaller ports. how's it work on rapid fire climb?

Yeah, lot of good shit on that site, since they have "the Bulgarian connection". :D

I'm not sure how well the pictured compensator works just yet; I haven't had a chance to fire the rifle with it in place.

Which is the best US made 74 style brake? Chrome lined, crescent moons, etc. I though K-var carried one but they only have the 5.56/5.45 version on their page. Is the Kreb's Customs the best bet?

Edited by GregM1