Like I said guy, I have nothing against cops. I think probably 60-70% of LEO are good people, its the 30-40% corrupt, bully, jerk-offs that give the rest of you bad names. Again, I apologise for hurting your feelings.

Didn't hurt my feelings.

I've been at this game way too long to let some annonymous handle on an internet forum get to me.

I'll even add this,

Some cops think their uniform is like a middle ages knight's armor.

They take ALL remarks and comments personally when the fact is the person that made the comment probably did NOT direct it at them, and even if they did, probably could not pick said cop out of a line up out of uniform.

The vast majority of the general public can't tell one uniform or badge from another.

And to take it personally is the epitome of arrogance.

Fortunately, the number that do is very small.

But apparantly it only takes ONE encounter with such an officer to cloud people's judgement of an entire profession.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is the rule at my house. Never ever let them in. Don't even answer the door. If they have a warrant they will serve it, if not, leave.

Bingo, I have the same rule. I don't want to take chances with my freedom, or that of my wife or daughter.

Didn't hurt my feelings.

I've been at this game way too long to let some annonymous handle on an internet forum get to me.

....yeah it seems like your feelings didn't get hurt, your coming off as real stable....

I'll even add this,

Some cops think their uniform is like a middle ages knight's armor.

They take ALL remarks and comments personally when the fact is the person that made the comment probably did NOT direct it at them, and even if they did, probably could not pick said cop out of a line up out of uniform.

The vast majority of the general public can't tell one uniform or badge from another.

And to take it personally is the epitome of arrogance.

Fortunately, the number that do is very small.

I agree its probably less than 40% of you guys that give the rest a bad name, but its the nature of the work that draws in people like that. Being a glorified tax collector with a gun attracts some sketchy people.

But apparantly it only takes ONE encounter with such an officer to cloud people's judgement of an entire profession.

Well I think most of us have had many Many MANY encounters with these mustached bandits. What "clouds" peoples judgement is that most of these encounters end with a ticket or worse.

Damn Sal.

Sometimes the asshole in the encounter isn't the cop.

True. Take me for example: I tell you guys up front, no looking in my car, no talking to my daughter, no coming in my house without a warrent, and I am not going to answer anything with out an attorney... All business/All asshole with you guys. Sorry but thats just how it has to be unless I want my rights trampled on. Nothing against you Bear, you seem like a good guy, its just the nature of what you guys do that gets people pissed off to encounter you.

Can one of you savvy internet types insert a picture of a poor dead horse getting beat to hell.

Kope,

I will give you eleven of them in honor of your Engine/Rescue number :super:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

I don't have a picture of a horse but here's a video of a plainclothes cop in a truly unmarked car (not a crown vic with dark tints and a stupid light in the front) cutting a guy off, emerging from the car gun drawn and ordering the guy off the bike and not even saying "police" for 7 seconds (much less showing a badge or anything)

http://carlosmiller.com/2010/04/09/man-who-filmed-plainclothes-cop-pulling-gun-on-him-getting-threatened-with-prison/

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

True. Take me for example: I tell you guys up front, no looking in my car, no talking to my daughter, no coming in my house without a warrent, and I am not going to answer anything with out an attorney... All business/All asshole with you guys. Sorry but thats just how it has to be unless I want my rights trampled on. Nothing against you Bear, you seem like a good guy, its just the nature of what you guys do that gets people pissed off to encounter you.

I don't consider that "asshole" behavior at all.

And neither should any cop worth his salt.

I don't have a picture of a horse but here's a video of a plainclothes cop in a truly unmarked car (not a crown vic with dark tints and a stupid light in the front) cutting a guy off, emerging from the car gun drawn and ordering the guy off the bike and not even saying "police" for 7 seconds (much less showing a badge or anything)

http://carlosmiller.com/2010/04/09/man-who-filmed-plainclothes-cop-pulling-gun-on-him-getting-threatened-with-prison/

Damn!

Now we do not know what led up to that, but I would say there was NO reason to pull a weapon in that situation.

Especially not with a marked unit right behind him.

So I met them at the door and decided I would only let one of them in and the other had to stay outside. You should have seen the look on his face, he tried to insist but I stood my ground.

It was a mistake to let even one in. Never give cops permission to come inside, search, or anything else.

I'm glad it turned out OK, but I've read too many stories where it didn't.

I thought about doing that and decided I would show my kids and my wife that even if they are up in your face being bullies you can handle them with relative ease by keeping your cool, in case they are ever in a spot where confrontation can not be avoided like in a public place. I did explain to the kids later that they had no right to come in if I didn't allow it and we could have simply told them to get the fuck off my grass and have a good evening.

I read it and that's largely why I put the "speaking in generalities" portion in there. I understand you are trying to get them to use this bully behavior as nearly a last resort. I just disagree with it. If they need to kick ass and make an arrest then there is a time for that. If it's not that time yet then what's the point in pretending you are going to if it hasn't reached that level yet. I do not believe in a green light for this behavior. The bad ones will simply say the situation warranted this behavior every time and continue to treat the people they work for like scum. It's part of the mental weakening of this Country. We even screw up all the time and call it a position of authority when actually it's a position of servitude. At least it used to be.

Look at it as just another tool in the box.

There are many instances where that attitude does prevent further escalation.

Let me liken it to the idea that by changing our country's stance on muslim extremists, the President is showing weakness to these same people.

I know that is a bit of a stretch, but some of these predators living in our communities also mistake kindness and professionalism for weakness and will sucker punch a cop in a heartbeat.

Now, are there cops out there that shouldn't be?

Absolutely.

Especially now during our current economic woes.

There are some people that barely make it through high school, fail the ASVAB, and wind up as cops in Splendora, Texas, etc.

That is not to say that some of them do not become fine officers!

It is another generalization.

I also think that age might have some impact on this attitude, IN GENERAL!

Because I have seen young officers come in that put many long time cops to shame.

And while it is relatively easy to spot some of the ones that may become overly zealous, some become that way (as previously mentioned) due to the people they deal with on a daily basis, or because of some traumatic experience they have on duty that changes their entire outlook on life.

We try very hard to teach them how to "turn it off", and leave it behind when they go home.

Because, unfortunately, some do take it home with them and subject their families to it.

Sadly, there is no magic "attitude" that works 100% of the time with 100% of the popultion.

My job is to to teach my people how to survive on the street.

And I am going to give them every possible tool to do so.

I am also going to do my very best to give them the understanding of how best to use those tools!

As others have commented, cool collected behavior and showing confidence is a much stronger action. People that don't need to be intimidated are the only ones who will be by the billy bad-ass act. It makes me either simply laugh at the guy or quietly get ready for physical confrontation. They are either earning no respect for themselves or creating a dangerous situation with that behavior.

Bingo, they are just another revenue collection agency. Nothing against the cops in this forum, but I really can't see how you guys can live with yourselves.

Because you don't have a realistic view of what we really do.

Not saying that in a derogatory way, it's just that your mind has been made up and it doesn't matter what ANY police officer says.

It's kind of like the old "walk a mile in my shoes" type of thing, or the "it's like sex-you had to be there" thing.

So what do you guys actually do that validates your place in society?

So what do you guys actually do that validates your place in society?

As much as anyone else.

You are funded with tax payer money. I'm afraid your answer doesn't hold water. I didn't ask what justifies your personal existence on this planet. This is business, pure and simple. I'll phrase it differently. What activities do you or members of your profession engage in that justifies public funding?

Cops Soldiers are no more perfect than any of the rest of you.

But many more of them strive to be better than many of you here.

Cops Soldiers do what they do for reasons some here are incapable of understanding...

...as police officer soldiers, they have to do their jobs that much better than the rest of the public.

That they have to live their lives, public and private, a little bit better than the rest of the public.

That whether they agree or not, they will be held to a different standard than the rest of the public.

Because there is a segment of the public out there that is paranoid and too stupid to ever understand...

^ I think you're confusing cops with a noble group of people who really sacrifice to serve their country and their fellow Americans, (usually for a lot less money than your typical Deputy Dawg is paid). So, I fixed it for ya, DB. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

You are funded with tax payer money. I'm afraid your answer doesn't hold water. I didn't ask what justifies your personal existence on this planet. This is business, pure and simple. I'll phrase it differently. What activities do you or members of your profession engage in that justifies public funding?

And the baiting continues. It is obvious that no matter how well, bad or profound this question is answered, you will be able to find fault with it in some way or another. Here is my answer in short....I would be more than happy to not be a police officer just as soon as the bad parts of society are able to control themselves and not prey on the weaker portions of society. As previously stated numerous times on this very topic, there are no officers on this forum that have defended any of the abuse that has been reported. The only thing that we have done is try and explain WHY it happens in the first place and offered remedies to help correct them. Remember, there are those in society that refuse to help themselves and rely on everyone else to help them (food, housing, security, etc.) The members of this forum are the minority in the US, not the majority. The minority (forum members) are not afraid to take care of or defend themselves from others. The majority (everyone else) do not want anything to do with taking care or protecting themselves and rely on others to do this for them. Until this changes, there will be a need for police officers in this nation, according to them. Until that day, I will continue to do the best of my ability to help everyone. That's the best and most honest answer that I can offer you to your question.

And the baiting continues. It is obvious that no matter how well, bad or profound this question is answered, you will be able to find fault with it in some way or another. Here is my answer in short....I would be more than happy to not be a police officer just as soon as the bad parts of society are able to control themselves and not prey on the weaker portions of society. As previously stated numerous times on this very topic, there are no officers on this forum that have defended any of the abuse that has been reported. The only thing that we have done is try and explain WHY it happens in the first place and offered remedies to help correct them. Remember, there are those in society that refuse to help themselves and rely on everyone else to help them (food, housing, security, etc.) The members of this forum are the minority in the US, not the majority. The minority (forum members) are not afraid to take care of or defend themselves from others. The majority (everyone else) do not want anything to do with taking care or protecting themselves and rely on others to do this for them. Until this changes, there will be a need for police officers in this nation, according to them. Until that day, I will continue to do the best of my ability to help everyone. That's the best and most honest answer that I can offer you to your question.

But what happens when police become a bad part of society who prey on the weaker members? Just as the members here on the board are a small minority of society, so are the police officers here a small majority of cops.

"Who will guard the guards themselves?"

First, my question had not been answered. He made a comment that does not apply so I rephrased it to make sure he understood that I was referring to his profession and not simply his existence. In reply to you. I don't see police protecting people. I see them showing up after the incident. I don't see police doing anything to stop drugs or gangs. I do know that there are areas that the police will not patrol because of the danger they face. These places seem like the kind that you would be in the most, going to absolute war with the real scum. What I see police doing is running around collecting money for minor infractions. I see them very much discouraging the public from protecting themselves. If a fight breaks out in a bar, they show up after and arrest all involved. If somebody is driving to fast down my road and I beat the snot out of them for endangering the public then I go to jail and you will tell me I should have called the police, that I was a vigilante. If I call you he gets a speeding ticket if you bother enough to put a patrol car in the area and happen to catch him. None of this fixes or protects a damn thing. What it does is put me in a mental block that despite you admitting that he was doing wrong that I was wrong to do anything about it. That you will fix it, but you won't. I see police blindly enforcing ever increasing laws that violate our privacy and peace of mind handed down from corrupt politicians. You see, the police are slowly spreading the mindset of the majority that you spoke of, the minority are and will continue to be treated as vigilantes. Your true war is with the minority because you work for the Gov. and the mindset of the minority reduces your public value to almost zero.

Wow, those are some good arguments. I guess I am in the minority though, the reason being I have no need for the police whatsoever. I conduct myself in an honorable manner at all times just because it was the way I was raised I guess. I have no need for someone to defend me for anything whatsoever. So I may be in the minority, but to see it put the way it was in a couple of the earlier posts really makes me question the need for cops at all. They really do seem like revenue agents to me. Not to even mention the harassment some of them do.

Police officers that I know or am related to personally are always cool as hell both on and off duty. Is this because I know them personally? Who knows.......One other thing that really sticks in my craw a little is that police officers always use the position that it is a very small minority who abuse their power. After seeing this thread and thinking back on all my personal experiences interacting with cops (ones I don't know and am not related to) I figure I have had 46 interactions with officers of the law. This is traffic stops/checks, in public, being pulled over, etc...... I have only had one ticket in my whole life, but of those 46 (rough estimate) interactions, 32 were complete dickheads. So as far as I am concerned, your argument is invalid.

But what happens when police become a bad part of society who prey on the weaker members? Just as the members here on the board are a small minority of society, so are the police officers here a small majority of cops.

They have to be held to a higher standard.

And most are.

Again, some of the people in this thread don't care about honest, and truthful answers from cops.

Im not sure I buy into that. You guys pray on the "weaker portions of society" as well... I mean Ive been robbed by you guys twice in the last year for trafic violations. The only difference to me between you guys and the criminals is you get the fucking badge. I think you are a stand up guy GeorgiaPD, and there is nothing wrong with helping the weak, but really how much of your typical day is spent writing tickets for jaywalking and how much of your time is spent investigating who raped granny? Im guessing the tickets are what takes up most of your day...

Edited by bigsal

And most are.

Again, some of the people in this thread don't care about honest, and truthful answers from cops.

By held to a higher standard do you mean what typically amounts to a paid vacation and a slap on the wrist for horrible displays of abusing power? That is one of the reasons people are getting so fed up with it. They lie to cover each others back and get off very easy and or bully and intimidate people into not pressing charges. Justice under the law for those enforcing the law is scarce.

Im not sure I buy into that. You guys pray on the "weaker portions of society" as well... I mean Ive been robbed by you guys twice in the last year for trafic violations. The only difference to me between you guys and the criminals is you get the fucking badge. I think you are a stand up guy GeorgiaPD, and there is nothing wrong with helping the weak, but really how much of your typical day is spent writing tickets for jaywalking and how much of your time is spent investigating who raped granny? Im guessing the tickets are what takes up most of your day...

The weaker portions of society argument sounds way to much like welfare programs which we all know rarely helps. They only ensure the ever weakening of society and more government dependence.

The weaker portions of society argument sounds way to much like welfare programs which we all know rarely helps. They only ensure the ever weakening of society and more government dependence.

This is where we disagree man. I have no problem giving my money to poor people for food. I do have a problem giving my money to Kojack so he can build a better capability to rob me in the future.

By the way, what the fuck is the "Osama" emotocon for?[ :osama: ]

And most are.

By held to a higher standard do you mean what typically amounts to a paid vacation and a slap on the wrist for horrible displays of abusing power? That is one of the reasons people are getting so fed up with it. They lie to cover each others back and get off very easy and or bully and intimidate people into not pressing charges. Justice under the law for those enforcing the law is scarce.

Exactly. One needs only five minutes on google to pull up thousands of cops who do things that would land an average joe like me in prison, and to a cop it's a couple days off...with pay. The most I've ever seen was a couple cops who got fired for felonies...oh boy!

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

And again, you fail to even give me the merest modicum of understanding and twist the meaning of what I said.

So I will try again.

Because of the "Public Trust" that society puts in law enforcement, police officers have to be held to a tighter standard of conduct.

A police officer should be a person that can be trusted by all.

If not, then they do not need to wear a badge and gun.

If your local police are as truly corrupt as you believe them to be, then do something about it.

Report it, and keep on reporting it.

Call your talk radio stations and television news anchors.

If your accusations are true, eventually that officer WILL go down for it.

From what several of you are saying, it sounds like we should go back to the days of the Wild West and let you all settle your differences on Main Street at high noon.

This is where we disagree man. I have no problem giving my money to poor people for food. I do have a problem giving my money to Kojack so he can build a better capability to rob me in the future.

By the way, what the fuck is the "Osama" emotocon for?[ :osama: ]

I feel like charity and welfare are two different things. I don't mind helping people who are trying to help themselves and that's why I said "rarely helps", what it has become is a disgusting thing.

I think the osama thing is so we can remember what a terrorist looks like.

And again, you fail to even give me the merest modicum of understanding and twist the meaning of what I said.

So I will try again.

Because of the "Public Trust" that society puts in law enforcement, police officers have to be held to a tighter standard of conduct.

If your local police are as truly corrupt as you believe them to be, then do something about it.

From what several of you are saying, it sounds like we should go back to the days of the Wild West and let you all settle your differences on Main Street at high noon.

Hell man, it's the wild west out there now. The only exception is that you call the police after the fact now. Police officers can't be everywhere and are under no obligation to protect Joe citizen. I don't have a problem with the police as I have stated numerous times, I have a problem with abuse of power. Good cops shouldn't take it to heart when people bitch about bad cops. Good cops should bitch about bad cops with the people. When good cops defend bad cops and try to make people see that point of view, it distorts what the good cop is saying...........

So I will try again.

I wasn't twisting anything. I know what you meant and I agree. They should be held to very high standards. I was merely pointing out that what happens and what should happen don't match up in this case. I mean you could argue the same thing about politicians but we all know what a bunch of snakes they are. I do believe a bit in the Old West logic. I'll bet ya we didn't have too many convicted child molesters living around us back then with nothing more than a sign in their yard and a requirement to register if they move to the next town. People have painted the Old West as wild in an attempt to make it seem like it was mass chaos in an attempt to stripping our freedoms. When the truth is it was pretty calm most of the time. People could truly let their kids roam freely around town. People knew each other and trust existed in the community. If someone moved in and started to break up the peace and trust of the town folk by committing atrocities against their fellow man...they hung him or someone shot him. Why did this strength in community exist back then? Because people knew they were to rely on themselves and each other for safety and harmony. They had free minds. Now days we have it pounded into our heads that what they did was wrong. This need for police to keep us safe is simply propaganda. Besides, when was the last time you heard of police stopping a shootout between two people who were at each others throat? It happens daily. The difference is in the people in the area putting up with random people putting them and their families in danger. Honestly, if two people want to have a gun fight I find the option of clearing the streets and doing it in a controlled environment much more appealing than the chaos that ensues today. Why do I care if two people want to shoot at only each other.