People performing a dangerous thankless task that doesn’t pay enough to justify the risk they take everyday to help us not live in a world of total anarchy. Glad somebody is willing to do it and it ain’t me.

Over a course of time a lot of selfless and heartwarming acts are done by these people and go unheralded. Let a bad moment or a split second decision be wrong and it’s all that’s on the news for weeks.

Once in a while I get a ticket and or just pulled over to get told to fix a light or what ever, no problem with these people. For one thing I’ve seen “Cops” and know always have a shirt on and don’t have both a beer and a cigarette in your hand and then you’ll never go to jail.

Edited by going12220
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't do drugs... I don't really break laws.. I don't even smoke weed. I speed from time to time.. but I'm a good citizen, raised to believe cops were there to help..

Personal experience in life has taught me that it's not "protect and serve", it's "harass and fine". I've only run into the police a few times (mainly because I don't really break laws).. But apart from car accidents and ONE time a cop politely asked me to put a bonfire out, all of the encounters have had me feeling like these guys just wanted to kick my ass and take me to jail.. My first few encounters were when I was young with my parents getting pulled and cops unstrapping guns and calling for backup on my overly english and polite mom.. Or the cop who pulled my dad over for speeding and didn't realize the speed limit was higher then it was, and REWROTE the ticket after my dad told him to make my dads speed higher, same cop got shot and run over a year later on a traffic stop, lived though. My parents were horrified when first they came to this country, the english police hadn't been so bad (this was the 80s).. Hell in england they used to show Cops because the english police weren't big enough assholes or didn't go as extreme and just weren't fun to watch.. It's changed now, and not for the better.

When it came to my turn politeness didn't get me anywhere.. It was almost like they took it as a sign of weakness and did whatever they could to bend me over... I have no respect for 90% of the police.. I know there are good ones, but personal experience tells me they are in the minority. Hell, no one told me when I was little that I was most likely to see a cop in action if I broke an arbitrary speeding law and that the average "criminal" was a soccer mom who went a few miles an hour too fast while on the way to buy groceries.

When I was little and I saw a cop, I used to feel secure, because that's what society had told me.. cops with protect you, they are the ultimate good guys..

Now when I see a cop I just want to leave before the bastard harasses me or someone I'm with. They arn't there to protect me, they're there to punish me.

I think most of the trouble comes from the mundane laws that police enforce so zealously. Laws that don't have much sense to them, which irritates the "perp" and causes conflict with the police to the point that the cops develope a hardened attitude. Get rid of cops going nuts for minor speeding, minor cases of underage drinking, maybe even weed, and other things that everyone does and that no reasonable enforcement is going to change or even deter.. and you'll have less confrontations where the police have to defend a bullshit (and often hypocrtical for traffic laws) point of view against irate citizens.. I bet you cops won't develope the attitude they have about the average person if they don't have to spend their lives craping on them and having to deal with the resistance.

I know there are exceptions.. it's just the vast majority suck (at least the ones the average law abiding citizen runs into).. And I'll stand by that.. even if some of the LEO's here honestly believe otherwise, I'd be in denial too if my coworkers were like that, wouldn't be able to survive the job otherwise. And to all you good cops, cheers for putting up with the rap the rest of them put on you.

Edited by volkov

I am an officer in the Army, and an MP at that, so a good deal of my job is following and enforcing laws, regulations and orders. I have been privileged enough to work with some very professional LEOs, both on and off post, but have also had the misfortune of seeing how power-hungry and arrogant some police are.

The guys I grew up with who ended up being police were not all model citizens. One was the biggest stoner in my high school. But one of my neighbors started off at a volunteer FD. became a paramedic, a SWAT officer and, now, my county's Emergency Management Coordinator. There are good and bad all around.

Some of the MPs I have lead were all-around great Soldiers and good people. Some were okay in the field but inept or overbearing on the road. One E-6 I worked with thought he was fucking Robocop and would laugh about unnecessarily spraying people or pushing their faces in the dirt. He was a tiny minority, but that was living and working on a military installation where, in general, the threat of violence was very low and the discipline of the general population was much higher than out in town.

A good friend of mine is a Guard guy who went to the Captain's Career Course with me. He works in the Rochester, New York "Special Apprehension" squad. Virtually everyone he interacts with at work is either a felon (convicted or not) or an associate of felons. When they do a felony stop, they are not inclined to go lightly on the guy they are apprehending, and understandably. The problem is when cops take a felony stop approach to traffic violations, people being loud at a house party or drunk kids walking home from the bars. I generally give police the benefit of the doubt in a truly he said/she said situation, but there are some pretty awful abuses of the citizenry going on regularly in cities across the country, and most of it stems from the "brotherhood" attitude.

I think law enforcement ought to be and ought to be treated as a brotherhood, but it must be a brotherhood with standards. You can't take pride in an organization that refuses to follow its own rules or discipline its members. I saw a poll on PoliceOne that showed that the great majority of police don't think it is ever appropriate to cite another officer for a traffic violation. that is why people hate cops. Police should have the self-image of being above misconduct, not above the law. I personally think that any sworn LEO that commits a felony should receive a doubled sentence, but I also think police should be well-paid and be given the tools and training they need. Just as in military leadership, you cannot gain and do not deserve respect if you believe your interests to be primary and your behavior to be above scrutiny.

Officer James Mandarino was charged with official misconduct and aggravated battery, and was released on $50,000 bail. He is on administrative leave from the Streamwood Police Department.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/squad-car-video-captures-cop-beating-motorist-in-illinois/19442662?ncid=webmaildl1

Administrative leave, you got to be kidding!!! They should fire this asshole!

I didn't go looking for this News I was working on putting together an email on AOL and there it was.

This is clearly the kind of thing we are all talking about. I don't want hear well we don't know the whole story, because this man was clearly complying with the officer request, whole hell of lot better than I would have. You start betting me with goddamn stick and one of us is going to die! I hope this asshole gets what coming to him.

Officer James Mandarino was charged with official misconduct and aggravated battery, and was released on $50,000 bail. He is on administrative leave from the Streamwood Police Department.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/squad-car-video-captures-cop-beating-motorist-in-illinois/19442662?ncid=webmaildl1

I didn't go looking for this News I was working on putting together an email on AOL and there it was.

This is clearly the kind of thing we are all talking about. I don't want hear well we don't know the whole story, because this man was clearly complying with the officer request, whole hell of lot better than I would have. You start betting me with goddamn stick and one of us is going to die! I hope this asshole gets what coming to him.

Can't fire him until the "investigation" is complete.

You can thank a union for that.

SO screeching tires when it's wet outside is a crime some how? Fuck firing him, he should be in jail facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon. That's what all of us would be charged with had we been beating on someone with that stick.

Yep, double edged sword on this one. The union will protect him until the trial and then dump him on his ass when it is over.

SO screeching tires when it's wet outside is a crime some how? Fuck firing him, he should be in jail facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon. That's what all of us would be charged with had we been beating on someone with that stick.

Super, he is actually charged with a crime that is worse than assault with a deadly weapon. Aggravated Battery is just one step below manslaughter or one of the different versions of murder and carries a large prison term. The bond amount is about on par with the norms.

Somehow I think I've just stopped being surprised by videos like this. There is just about one every day somewhere that shows something like this. There is a cop on trial for murder up here for shooting a DUI suspect seven times in the back. I'm getting a bit tired of hearing these called "Isolated incidents", though. It seems more like a trend. This is not good for anybody. Two people in recent history in Washington state have stalked and murdered random police officers specifically because of police brutality.

Yep, double edged sword on this one. The union will protect him until the trial and then dump him on his ass when it is over.

Super, he is actually charged with a crime that is worse than assault with a deadly weapon. Aggravated Battery is just one step below manslaughter or one of the different versions of murder and carries a large prison term. The bond amount is about on par with the norms.

Did not know that, thanks for the info. Aggravated Battery sounds like giving a whiny little bitch a firm backhand, sounded much calmer than assault with a deadly weapon. Well at least they are coming at him hard.