Another Tradition Falls To Political Correctness

"The women of Alpha Kappa Alpha and other racially diverse groups on UA's campus trust that the men of Kappa Alpha will find ways to commemorate their founders in a spirited and significant manner that simultaneously recognizes the progress that we have made in race relations since the founding of Kappa Alpha and the rich diversity and inclusiveness of our progressive and positive campus,"

So, what you're saying then, ma'am, is that you want them to commemorate history...so long as it's a nice and pretty version of history.

Might as well have said "I take offense to that FACT."

Once again, humanity's natural LACK of logic astounds me.

Edited by SirROFL

Even after reading the article twice, the whole story is rating pretty low on my "why should I give a damn if someone's offended?" scale. College kids are notorious for finding some new (or old) issue to politicize. I know, I used to be one of them. But maturity has a way of teaching you which battles are worthy of fighting. So I'll have to seperate from my black bretheren who find a commemorative ball like this offensive. Years ago when I revelled in being an "angry black man", I might have jumped on this particular bandwagon. Now. I really could give a shit.

If this is supposed to offend me, should I also be offended by civil war reenactors who dress up as confederate soldiers? How about the actors who depicted secessionists and confederate soldiers in the movie "Glory"? Maybe I should get rid of all the gray pieces in my Civil War Chess Set?

I live in Texas, where southern pride is still very strong. I'm originally from Indiana, and if I were offended every time I saw a confederate flag on some pick-up's rear window, I'd be a lot less healthy than I am now.

Let the students have their ball, and stop trying to politicize every damnned thing. Seems like banning this ball on these grounds steers too close to First Amendment territory for me.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

BS from the word go. No matter how often or long they sanitize history to guard against being offended, the fact of the matter is they will find something to bitch about no matter what - it's part of the Obama way to whine...

All Southerners would do good to remember the words of Gen. Patrick Cleburne: "Every man should endeavor to understand the meaning of subjugation before it is too late... It means the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern schoolteachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit objects for derision... It is said slavery is all we are fighting for, and if we give it up we give up all. Even if this were true, which we deny, slavery is not all our enemies are fighting for. It is merely the pretense to establish sectional superiority and a more centralized form of government, and to deprive us of our rights and liberties."

Maj. General Patrick R. Cleburne, CSA, January 1864

Edited by Jpanzer

"The decision, announced in an internal memo posted on the group's website, followed a flap last year at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, where a black sorority complained after a KA parade stopped in front of its house on campus. KA members were dressed in the gray uniforms of Confederate officers, and young women wore hoop skirts."

Ok, lets admit that THAT and actions similar are just stupid. But it is not a reason to ban/discontinue the whole damn thing. Unless it has become the norm, thus seeking to fire the racial shit storm.

It is good and right to honor ones ancestry, but to do it as an insult to others is simply asking for trouble.

The students have EVERY right to their Balls, etc. Just take a little care about where and how. Besides, Some Freed Blacks did fight along side Whites in the South, trying to defend what little they had from the Northern invaders. Who wouldn't.

We, as a nation, need to get over the concept that the Civil War was ALL about ending slavery which was on it's way out anyway. Share cropping was just more profitable.

I live an hour from Gettysburg and every year they do the whole re-enactment. I'm surprised I haven't heard about any of these sandle wearing fruit cakes protesting there. I don't even go any more because there's several hundred thousand people stumbling around and I hate crowds. History's most important nuggets are the ones that aren't p.c.

Hear, Hear!

There are far better things to be teaching our young adults than "retreat and surrender".

This PC nonsense will only stop when a line is drawn in the sand.

Respectfully,

guido

Even after reading the article twice, the whole story is rating pretty low on my "why should I give a damn if someone's offended?" scale. College kids are notorious for finding some new (or old) issue to politicize. I know, I used to be one of them. But maturity has a way of teaching you which battles are worthy of fighting. So I'll have to seperate from my black bretheren who find a commemorative ball like this offensive. Years ago when I revelled in being an "angry black man", I might have jumped on this particular bandwagon. Now. I really could give a shit.

If this is supposed to offend me, should I also be offended by civil war reenactors who dress up as confederate soldiers? How about the actors who depicted secessionists and confederate soldiers in the movie "Glory"? Maybe I should get rid of all the gray pieces in my Civil War Chess Set?

I live in Texas, where southern pride is still very strong. I'm originally from Indiana, and if I were offended every time I saw a confederate flag on some pick-up's rear window, I'd be a lot less healthy than I am now.

Let the students have their ball, and stop trying to politicize every damnned thing. Seems like banning this ball on these grounds steers too close to First Amendment territory for me.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm proud to know you all too, even if its online. Life is too damnned short for me to expend energy on past racial grievances. Aren't we supposed to be a post-racial America now? I remember being told that somewhere before.

Dancing Bear: Thanks for the post here.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

To this day they tell lies about the Civil War. I taught my daughter just the other day about some hidden truths surrounding the CW after she sat threw a day of BS at school. Then again her teacher doesn't like me. My girl argues with teach about Global Warming :lolol:

If we're going to ban clothing why the fuck not ban some of the El Che shirts..

Edited by Bean.223

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm proud to know you all too, even if its online. Life is too damnned short for me to expend energy on past racial grievances. Aren't we supposed to be a post-racial America now? I remember being told that somewhere before.

Dancing Bear: Thanks for the post here.

I love it! I've never had a problem with "angry black man" I've met a bunch of 'em in my travels and it's always an interesting conversation so long as mutual respect is shown. I do however have a problem with "gangsta thug suburban wealthy white kid" though. Nothing serious, they just annoy the piss out of me with their "yo yo yo, know what I'm sayin". Their parents belong to high class social clubs, they have a new sports car at 16 and everything handed to them, yet they're always "from the street".

This pretty much sums up my view on it. So +1 to that.

Know what needs to be banned? Spandex pants on 400LB women.

Ban it. Ban it now.

I do however have a problem with "gangsta thug suburban wealthy white kid" though. Nothing serious, they just annoy the piss out of me with their "yo yo yo, know what I'm sayin". Their parents belong to high class social clubs, they have a new sports car at 16 and everything handed to them, yet they're always "from the street".

I went to high school with lots of these clowns. In my tech class, I sat next to a black kid and on the other side of him was one of these white "thugs". The black kid leans over one day and says "That dude is blacker than I am." I lol'ed. But just like you said, this clown was from an "upper class" family. He knew not a damn thing about the streets or anything remotely close. He would have pissed himself sideways if he were to venture into the neighborhood about 2 blocks from our school.

To this day they tell lies about the Civil War. I taught my daughter just the other day about some hidden truths surrounding the CW after she sat threw a day of BS at school. Then again her teacher doesn't like me. My girl argues with teach about Global Warming :lolol:

I was driving with my kid who was ten at the time and he started asking me about the civil war under the pretense he smelled a rat over the version he was getting at school. So we talked about state rights, over the tariffs that were economic disadvantages for the South, the western expansions, John Brown, Abes real stance toward slavery, etc etc. In the end it was a long coming and complex train wreck. My A making kid got an F because he did a presentation contradicts man made global warming. Lets not talk about firearms or hunting at school either.

Per the topic if the fraternity were going out of their way to be jerks to the black fraternity then they deserve condemnation. But constant name calling and denigration of the southern white just makes him well more rebellious. We are shameless of the southern heritage and will usually issue a kiss my grits retort. All this effort to equate the confederacy with the nazis and every other evil hearted regime is bull. They were brave and honorable men that went to war and fought well. I for one am proud my ancestors earned the title of men. We could use some of that spirit now.

All this effort to equate the confederacy with the nazis and every other evil hearted regime is bull. They were brave and honorable men that went to war and fought well. I for one am proud my ancestors earned the title of men. We could use some of that spirit now.

And I too am proud of my numerous ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. Non Southerners can't understand why it is so ingrained in our identity, but when you are raised on stories about how your family members served under both Lee and Johnston, how the home folk suffered under Union occupation, and how the family managed to cope in the reconstruction years, it becomes part of who you are if you have any sense of the enormity of the conflict.

I was born, raised, and still live in a part of North Georgia where I can drive 20 minutes in any direction and be on a Civil War battlefield or cross a area where major troop movements took place. And because others tell me I should be ashamed of it I should roll over and swallow that?

Not this Southern man.... :killer: