Saiga low/high brass

I have a question and please dont flame, if Im missing something please explain.

I keep reading people saying "my gun dont shoot low brass" and "mods to shoot low brass ect". Do most people here know what high brass low brass means? It has nothing to do with the power of the shell or the shot used. I think a lot of people are confusing low brass with low power ammo or birdshot ect.

The best ammo Ive used in my saiga 12 is the german made WOLF full power LOW brass 00 buck. It groups tighter than the 00 buck remington

or federal, and both of those are HIGH brass. But all worked 100%.

If you are having problems with birdshot or other light loads in your saiga it has nothing to do with high brass low brass fyi.

• Like 1

I have a question and please dont flame, if Im missing something please explain.

I keep reading people saying "my gun dont shoot low brass" and "mods to shoot low brass ect". Do most people here know what high brass low brass means? It has nothing to do with the power of the shell or the shot used. I think a lot of people are confusing low brass with low power ammo or birdshot ect.

The best ammo Ive used in my saiga 12 is the german made WOLF full power LOW brass 00 buck. It groups tighter than the 00 buck remington

If you are having problems with birdshot or other light loads in your saiga it has nothing to do with high brass low brass fyi.

You, sir, are a complete fucking idiot.

How so? Id like your dumbass to enlighten me.

Please do.

Seems like everyone complaining about the saiga not cycling low brass says

"ya gotta open up them ports to cycle low brass"

It has nothing to do with low/high brass my point being.

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

What you said. I just hope I can be as smart as you one day. I admit, I could have been a little more subdued with my response. But when guys come on here and have no clue wtf they are talking about and try to educate all us dumb hicks (as you called me in your PM), it gets under my skin. You are not a very educated gun guy, your posts make this fact blatantly obvious to the guys that know a little something. Maybe everyone isn't saying it, but I promise you they are thinking it. You will find this out if you keep it up on this forum, I promise. There is a lot to learn on this site and I highly recommend you shut the fuck up and learn some more before you try to educate us dumb hicks. There are some VERY intelligent gun guys on this forum and you sir are not one of them. Neither am I, but at least I will try to learn before I start flinging poo. Dumbass.

What you said. I just hope I can be as smart as you one day. I admit, I could have been a little more subdued with my response. But when guys come on here and have no clue wtf they are talking about and try to educate all us dumb hicks (as you called me in your PM), it gets under my skin. You are not a very educated gun guy, your posts make this fact blatantly obvious to the guys that know a little something. Maybe everyone isn't saying it, but I promise you they are thinking it. You will find this out if you keep it up on this forum, I promise. There is a lot to learn on this site and I highly recommend you shut the fuck up and learn some more before you try to educate us dumb hicks. There are some VERY intelligent gun guys on this forum and you sir are not one of them. Neither am I, but at least I will try to learn before I start flinging poo. Dumbass.

More shit talking from AnotheR stupid kid?

Who the fuck do you think you are?

Ive read your posts and you dont really know shit.

I may not be the smartest gun guy but I know my shit VERY well. Actually read my posts instead

of just saying "fuck you". The sad thing is Im RIGHT about the low brass/high brass thing and

most of the people bitching about it are wrong. Go do some research and find it out on your own

instead of relying an internet forum. I understand there are some standup smart super guys here but

sadly some really dont know what the hell they are talking about and its kind of sad/funny. Me, I do.

If im wrong I will send you a nascar ticket and $50.

• Like 1

Hell if you are gonna post the PM, put the whole fucking thing up. Dumbass. Who thinks this guy is a dumbass, come on, let's hear it. We can do it here or I will put up a dumbass poll.

Hey COD, YourE the one who put up the pm, dumbass! post #4.

Then you wanna blame it on me? HA! What a loser.

We are off topic anyway.

If you are so smart please prove me wrong

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

PM inbound. Please heed.

WTF?:huh:

Wow I feel so much smarter now after reading this thread.:P

Let me get this straight......first off, I coulda sworn I saw the first post here in another thread already today.

Then judging from the content, I'm gonna assume it bothers you somehow that there are people who keep using the term "low brass", when referring to wally world specials, or more specifically...Winchester Universal, and the Federal and Remington value packs of low powered bird shot ammo....which does in fact use LOW BRASS hulls in their MFG. I've also heard them referred to as low and high base hulls used on shotgun shells. Every magnum powered load I've ever shot, whether it was buckshot, slugs, or high powered shot like turkey loads, have come wrapped in high brass hulls. If there is something more you would like to edumacate me about it then I'm all ears. Looks like you kinda offended my friend there though in your PM exchange. What's the deal man?

PM inbound. Please heed.

Thank you tritium....

This thread would be a great stopping point for this kind of activity.

First off, I do not personally know saigalupo. I don't follow him around backing his play. He could have used a bit more diplomacy, again, with this post, but, he's right about what he is saying here.

I have been a member here for several years and lurked for at least a year before that (I took a year off because of two deaths in the family and had a hard time logging on recently, easier just to re-up under new handle. I've always noticed that many here were confused/uninformed and simply thought that High Brass= full power loads and Low Brass= light/low power loads. High Brass and Low Brass have become synonymous with Full and Light/Low power loads, incorrectly. Did I ever care enough to start a thread...could give a shit.

Problem is, this guy starts a new thread about it and reply one, gets a foot buried in his ass, so to speak.

"You, sir, are a complete fucking idiot." stansplace

100% correct, no, but this could have been a great post to inform those of us who aren't clear on the subject.

Is saigalupo the master of tact...certainly not. Just seems that some are still angry from another thread and simply jumped into his shit for that. Wish this thread could have played out in a more civil fashion.

Info below taken from HERE

"Modern shotgun cartridges typically consist of a plastic case, with the base covered in a thin brass covering. Paper shells used to be common, and are still made, as are solid brass shells. Some companies have produced what appear to be all-plastic shells, although in these there is a small metal ring cast into the rim of the shell to provide strength. Often the more powerful loads will use "high brass" shells, with the brass extended up further along the sides of the shell, while light loads will use "low brass" shells. The brass does not actually provide a significant amount of strength, but the difference in appearance provides shooters with a way to quickly differentiate between high and low powered ammunition."

Check HERE as well

Edited by raidersfan_5544

First off, I do not personally know saigalupo. I don't follow him around backing his play. He could have used a bit more diplomacy, again, with this post, but, he's right about what he is saying here.

I have been a member here for several years and lurked for at least a year before that (I took a year off because of two deaths in the family and had a hard time logging on recently, easier just to re-up under new handle. I've always noticed that many here were confused/uninformed and simply thought that High Brass= full power loads and Low Brass= light/low power loads. High Brass and Low Brass have become synonymous with Full and Light/Low power loads, incorrectly. Did I ever care enough to start a thread...could give a shit.

Problem is, this guy starts a new thread about it and reply one, gets a foot buried in his ass, so to speak.

100% correct, no, but this could have been a great post to inform those of us who aren't clear on the subject.

Is saigalupo the master of tact...certainly not. Just seems that some are still angry from another thread and simply jumped into his shit for that. Wish this thread could have played out in a more civil fashion.

Thankyou very much. Every post Ive posted was in good intentions and not to offend anybody, but this is the internet and some people are just ignorant/touchy. I know Im right, and just wanted to inform people who are a lil misguided. Well fucking Sorry!

Holy shit is this ar15.com or what? Yeah people have jumped on my shit at every turn but, I know some are trolls/mall ninjas or just mis informed or like to be internet tough guys but cmon. Whats funny is when I start to defend myself they play the victim. Well guess what, Ill take on all comers and if Im wrong, prove it and ill man up and say, "my bad, looks liked I learned something today".

And no cobra bra, wolf full power 00 buck is LOW BRASS.

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

Simply put, high brass/ low brass is how high or low the brass "head" sits on the hull. Some full power loads are high brass, and some low. Some light loads are

low brass and some high. It has nothing to do with power or load, not anymore. It did back in the day, but nowadays its more of a traditional term.

Like I said before If you are having problems with birdshot or other light loads in your saiga it has nothing to do with high brass low brass.

Thankyou very much

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

Thankyou very much. Every post Ive posted was in good intentions and not to offend anybody, but this is the internet and some people are just

ignorant/touchy. I know Im right, and just wanted to imform people who are a lil misguided. Well fucking Sorry!

Holy shit is this ar15.com or what? Yeah people have jumped on my shit at every turn but, I know some are trolls/mall ninjas or just mis informed or

like to be internet tough guys but cmon. Whats funny is when I start to defend myself they play the victim. Well guess what, Ill take on all comers

and if Im wrong, prove it and ill man up and say, "my bad, looks liked I learned something today".

And no cobra bra, wolf full power 00 buck is LOW BRASS.

You COULD just stay low-key and let the idiots be idiots. A lot of time what you need to do when dealing with someone who THINKS they know what they are talking about is to just let them talk then nod and smile.

NORMALLY, if the round has less brass then it's lower power and vice-versa for high-power.

There are exceptions to every rule though.

A few years ago I was on a car forum in Virginia and had some guy telling me my 'vette didn't run the way I said it did. A few days later, I showed up to their meet and let him talk.

Then we left, when we did, he tried me, and failed miserably. Not a word was spoken about it afterward, there wasn't anything for me to say and there MOST DEFINITELY wasn't anything for him to say.

Just let them be confident in their own ignorance, because you're not always right, if you sit back and listen you truly find out how ignorant YOU are...

Have yet to see a high power low brass load, or a low power high brass load.

Considering the trollish nature of all his posts, I think he's just stirring the pot.

Thats fine people also thought the world was flat at one time.

Heres an example. Wolf 12g 00 buck full power, low brass. Check it out. Ive got 200 rounds sitting in my safe right now

along with some full power 00 buck remington and federal, both high brass. Damn people do some fucking research

before posting.

• Like 1

like cobra said when people are talking about low brass not running well in their shotguns they are referring to the walmart bulk packs.

end thread.

Yes but meaning low power/light load which is the point Ive been trying to make, low brass does not equal low power/light load.

Edited by saigalupo
  • Like 1

This should help.

Shotshell-Comparison.jpg

You'll notice the wolf brand is not low brass, nor high brass, but medium brass.

Also, one foreign, low quality brand, does not contradict the convention of the entire American

ammo industry.

I think we're done here.

here are two picks from wolfs web site. Looks to me that the brass is higher on the buck/slug than the birdshot.

Thanks for the pics bro, but still considered low brass. FYI that is really good ammo check it out. Made in germany

• Like 1

I hate to even comment on this one, but as mentioned before high brass low brass is terms used from the old days to represent power of the loads. Now days its just a way to say high power low power. In just the last two weeks Ive shot 12 diff loads from weak 2 3\4 loads to hot 3" loads. Very few of them changed the brass base just because of the load. One Winchester target loads the brass actually decreases with increase in the dram eq list. Very few ive seen even use the term anymore. Ive shot lots of brands much hotter than some yet have much lower brass. Some its said will even use high brass to make you think its a more powerful load.With All that said, the size of the brass is seldom a true indication of load.

Good information here. If you read some of it, you'd understand that high brass was originally used on heavier loads because they needed the extra strength in the hull. In todays shot shells, with better and stronger plastics, that is not the , no pun intended, case. Today, it's more a matter of economy on what to use, cheaper, bulk especially, light loads will usually have low brass.

Wolf slugs, for example, compared to other slugs, have low, or if your in the nitpicking industry, have lower brass. It's a full power round that is about 30% cheaper than its nearest rival in quality. While it uses excellent components internally, one of differences based on economy is low/lower brass.

In todays market, high or low brass is no longer synonymous with full or low/light loads in shotshells. Many full power loads do have higher brass and many low/light loads do have lower brass, but that is not what defines either, as said, they are not synonymous.

The correct statement when trying to differentiate between full and light loads should just simply be Full Power Loads and Light Loads.

Oh, and who was that back a few posts that cited Wikipedia as their source...WOW. :rolleyes: