74 Style Muzzle Brake for x39

I am want put a 74 style muzzle brake on my x39. I have read about change out the FSB with the 74 style and putting a 24 mm brake on. But this sounds like a PIA...

I have looked at this one...

Need ya'll feed back on which way to go.

Threaded AK-74 style AK Muzzle Brake

xcdak74mb.jpg

New AK-74 Style Muzzle Brake for AK type 7.62x39 Rifles. 14mm Reverse thread. Made in USA, and stamped "made in USA".

Item NameItem #Each Qty Threaded AK-74 style AK Muzzle Brake AK-Fhak006 $14.95

I am want put a 74 style muzzle brake on my x39. I have read about change out the FSB with the 74 style and putting a 24 mm brake on. But this sounds like a PIA...

xcdak74mb.jpg

New AK-74 Style Muzzle Brake for AK type 7.62x39 Rifles. 14mm Reverse thread. Made in USA, and stamped "made in USA".

This sorta looks like an AK-74 brake, but it's not the same design. It's not going to work nearly as well as the real deal, which will cost you quite a bit more. Krebs and K-Var both make the real (effective) AK-74 brake copies.

i have one of those 14x1 on my polish gun, it works great...cost about ten bucks, a us part, and it works cuts the muzzle jump to next to nothing....

no pressing, screw one off, screw it back on, i can still use any brake i have and or want....

edit to add....while it doesn't have the zig zag cuts it has holes where it would go, and it does its job great...

Edited by elia.jon1

i have one of those 14x1 on my polish gun, it works great...cost about ten bucks, a us part, and it works cuts the muzzle jump to next to nothing....

no pressing, screw one off, screw it back on, i can still use any brake i have and or want....

edit to add....while it doesn't have the zig zag cuts it has holes where it would go, and it does its job great...

All of the people who love those cheap pieces of sh**, I just want to know the adjectives they'd use after having an actual milspec brake on their guns.

Or, as Cypher said in the Matrix: "Ignorance is bliss."

It is a US part, and it does add some weight to the end of your muzzle. There are far more differences than "holes instead of zig-zags". .

As I often say: "One gets what one pays for."

I have read about change out the FSB with the 74 style and putting a 24 mm brake on. But this sounds like a PIA...

You've not read enough.

All you have to do is skin the Klinton shroud off your rifle and thread the barrel 14x1LH (the common AK thread). At that point, an inexpensive 14x1LH to 24mm adapter is easily obtained and employed.

No need to retrofit a complete FSB (unless you just want to).

Edited by nalioth

Interesting, I never knew that phrase came from the Matrix.

It did not originate there.

Just making a pop-culture reference.

All of the people who love those cheap pieces of sh**, I just want to know the adjectives they'd use after having an actual milspec brake on their guns.

It is a US part, and it does add some weight to the end of your muzzle. There are far more differences than "holes instead of zig-zags". .

As I often say: "One gets what one pays for."

I have read about change out the FSB with the 74 style and putting a 24 mm brake on. But this sounds like a PIA...

You've not read enough.

All you have to do is skin the Klinton shroud off your rifle and thread the barrel 14x1LH (the common AK thread). At that point, an inexpensive 14x1LH to 24mm adapter is easily obtained and employed.

No need to retrofit a complete FSB (unless you just want to).t

Just sent you an email

Where is the best place to get the nut and brake from..

Mike

Just sent you an email

Mike

To rehash a previous post:

Krebs and K-Var both make the real (effective) AK-74 brake copies.

AY-KAY DASH ONE-ZERO-THREE DOT COM also sells quality copies (and adapters).

Just sent you an email

Mike

To rehash a previous post:

Krebs and K-Var both make the real (effective) AK-74 brake copies.

AY-KAY DASH ONE-ZERO-THREE DOT COM also sells quality copies (and adapters).

Thanks.... does the brake require a pin to lock into the adapter or just screw it on with loctite?

So......with all of this wisdom, did I waste my money on the DPH version?

Do you like it?

Like the looks.

Does it work for you?

Not a clue, as haven't made it to the range yet.[/i]

If so, it's not a waste.

I ASKED if it was a waste, didn't say it was. According to statements here...if it isn't one of the prior two mentioned, it isn't going to function as well as a true US copy. So, if I wasn't clear before, then hopefully I am now. AGAIN, not vendor bashing.

what differences are there besides the zig zag cuts, i'm gonna have to break out the camera, but tell me about the "other" differences.....

arent the top holes offset from each other a little, and not quite in line like the cheap us copy.....

also, they dont really cost 10 bucks, thats just how much i gave a guy for mine....

....after some research i see that some of the clones have tiny expansion chambers on the inside of the brake....mine is nice and roomy inside and did not come from tapco....it might be a better "clone"

Edited by elia.jon1

bottom line fuck all the ak-74 STYLE brakes! if you think there good then your wrong! only the true russian and bulgarian and the US copy brakes are the good ones. (zig zag brake my favorite)

I had a J-Tac on a Romy, and there was damn near no muzzle climb or recoil on the bastard. My irons stayed right on the orange spray painted paper plate I had set up at 100 meters. The east German ak-74 zigzag brake I have on another Saiga is a close 2nd. I'm gonna do another conversion soon on my Saiga-12 and gonna foot a Tromix shark brake on her. From all the research I've done, they seem to be the "cream of the crop" as far as controlling muzzle climb and recoil.

Edited by fffpatriot
gonna foot a Tromix shark brake on her. From all the research I've done, they seem to be the "cream of the crop" as far as controlling muzzle climb and recoil.

Muzzle brakes do next to nothing on the Saiga shotguns :( There just isn't enough pressure/gas at the muzzle. They are basically to look cool is all. Maybe the spikes come in handy if you're breaching doors, and a couple extra ounces at the muzzle might do a little. Most of the manufacturers have even stated this as well. The only real recoil reduction on the shotguns is usually the mid barrel stuff.

gonna foot a Tromix shark brake on her. From all the research I've done, they seem to be the "cream of the crop" as far as controlling muzzle climb and recoil.

Muzzle brakes do next to nothing on the Saiga shotguns :( There just isn't enough pressure/gas at the muzzle. They are basically to look cool is all. Maybe the spikes come in handy if you're breaching doors, and a couple extra ounces at the muzzle might do a little. Most of the manufacturers have even stated this as well. The only real recoil reduction on the shotguns is usually the mid barrel stuff.

If a get into a close quarters jam, I could do some serious facelift surgery with that baby. (lol!)

Well, it looks like nalioth's already addressed this, so my work here is done. :D

Here's a demo of how well an accurate US-copy of the 74-type brake, (K-Var, AK-103.com etc, not Tapco), works to reduce muzzle-rise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMm4tsPi18

Nice.

If you shoot that thing when it's very (as opposed to just a little) dark, do you still see well enough (after the flash) for follow-up shots? I've been trying to decide between my flash hider and my muzzle brake but have not been able to shoot at night yet.

Edited by Jim Digriz

So......with all of this wisdom, did I waste my money on the DPH version? Not knocking the vendor, just would like some clarification from you Guru's.

DPH has some awesome stuff. I just purchased one of there triangle side folders and hardware last month. Great company to deal with as well. That being said, Yes you wasted your money. The clip-on solution is short term at best. Eventually you will want to replace the FSB and purchase a genuine brake.

Sorry if thats not what you want to hear, but the truth hurts sometimes.

Theres always going to be some idiot who says: "Well do you like it, does it work for you" etc. etc. etc. The plain and simple truth is that certain products work better than others and this can not be changed by some normative assessment by the consumer.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

So......with all of this wisdom, did I waste my money on the DPH version? Not knocking the vendor, just would like some clarification from you Guru's.

DPH has some awesome stuff. I just purchased one of there triangle side folders and hardware last month. Great company to deal with as well. That being said, Yes you wasted your money. The clip-on solution is short term at best. Eventually you will want to replace the FSB and purchase a genuine brake.

Theres always going to be some idiot who says: "Well do you like it, does it work for you" etc. etc. etc. The plain and simple truth is that certain products work better than others and this can not be changed by some normative assessment by the consumer.

BigSal, thanks for a straight answer. Just so you know, I was talking about their 74 style 24mm compensator:

http://dpharms.com/usmadeak7424mmthreadakcompensator-p-37.html

Did the clip on, and removed it after all of the posts about it coming off. I have replaced the FSB. Don't care if it is chrome lined or not unless it helps with the 'compensation' somehow, but I doubt that. Well, guess I will find out when I shoot her. However, I have nothing else to compare it to, that is why I asked.

BigSal, thanks for a straight answer. Just so you know, I was talking about their 74 style 24mm compensator:

http://dpharms.com/usmadeak7424mmthreadakcompensator-p-37.html

Did the clip on, and removed it after all of the posts about it coming off. I have replaced the FSB. Don't care if it is chrome lined or not unless it helps with the 'compensation' somehow, but I doubt that. Well, guess I will find out when I shoot her. However, I have nothing else to compare it to, that is why I asked.

Shit, Then I cant be 100% sure you wasted your money. I thought you purchased the clip on. I have yet to test their brake, but generally the half moon and zigzag are best.

• Like 1

Well, it looks like nalioth's already addressed this, so my work here is done. :D

Here's a demo of how well an accurate US-copy of the 74-type brake, (K-Var, AK-103.com etc, not Tapco), works to reduce muzzle-rise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMm4tsPi18

Nice.

If you shoot that thing when it's very (as opposed to just a little) dark, do you still see well enough (after the flash) for follow-up shots? I've been trying to decide between my flash hider and my muzzle brake but have not been able to shoot at night yet.

I'm not sure what you consider "very dark", but there was very little light when that video was taken. If you mean pitch black, irons won't be much use, though tritium inserts would help. The 74-type brake actually does hide the flash, from the shooter's direct line of sight, anyway.. so it doesn't make follow up shots more difficult.

ymmv.

I'm not sure what you consider "very dark", but there was very little light when that video was taken. If you mean pitch black, irons won't be much use, though tritium inserts would help. The 74-type brake actually does hide the flash, from the shooter's direct line of sight, anyway.. so it doesn't make follow up shots more difficult.

Thanks, very useful to know. Hopefully I'll get to do some night shooting myself sometime before too long.

xcdak74mb.jpg

Cowtown,

Go this route.

Buy one of these:

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/74fsb.html

Replace your current FSB with the one above. Then buy one of these:

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml#ak74brake

It is a true '74 type break but designed for the 7.62 round.

It is what I did to mine.

4857_621404159218_29711115_36679398_6727463_n.jpg