It's all semantics. We're a nation of Christians, not a Christian nation. It's a stupid argument that only exists because idiots like Obama don't know the difference. He thinks that if we say we're a Christian nation because of these obvious historic facts and understandings then that means that people who aren't Christian aren't welcome. We all (Christian Americans) agree that anyone who doesn't want society to tell them what faith to follow is welcome here.

No, we are actually a christian nation. Morals of right and wrong are neccesary to govern a country and since right and wrong vary from perspective, having a religion that is the dominant and the goverment recognized one is neccesary. I'm not a diehard christian, I don't go to church, often I wonder if I really believe in the new testament at all, but I recognize that we are a christian nation, we are founded on it's principals, and I do not object to having christian influences everywhere from our currency to our court rooms. We may be a nation that is accepting of other religions, but we need to remember that we ARE a christian nation, and people need to respect that before they start complaining.

We need to stick to, if you don't like it, don't come.. It's a christian nation, your free to practice your own religion, but if your gonna live here your going to have to accept that the goverment and the majority are based in christianity.

edit: the reason the 0 doesn't want us to be a christian nation is because he wants chaos as every religion is "treated equally" and as a result everyones moral perspectives constantly clash and conflict with no real solution in sight. These clashes are perfect for liberalism to demonize the majority and side with "the victims" of these clashes.

Edited by volkov

Washington 1889, Preamble We the People of the State of Washington , grateful to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution

This stupid state...........may the force be with you......................

It's not as simple as it seems. Some of the founders were religious, others were clearly not.

Thomas Jefferson:

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law"
 "And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter."

Thomas Paine:

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

John Adams:

"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded upon the Christian religion,"
"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

James Madison:

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."

Ben Franklin:

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

Also this kinda stuff belongs in politics forum not general

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

It's not as simple as it seems. Some of the founders were religious, others were clearly not.

Thomas Jefferson:

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter."

Thomas Paine:

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

John Adams:

"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded upon the Christian religion,"

James Madison:

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."

Ben Franklin:

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."

Remind me not to invite KK to a party.

He is such a huge pooper!

:angel:

Thomas Jefferson:

Thomas Paine:

John Adams:

James Madison:

Ben Franklin:

Yabba Dabba Doo -Fred Flintstone.

I guess all the Bible quotes on all the monuments and buildings don't mean a thing, right? (rhetorical question)

You might want to read a bit more...knowledge is power. America and Christianity Heritage Foundation

I didn't post to bicker...just enlighten. Have Faith.

Thomas Jefferson:

Thomas Paine:

John Adams:

James Madison:

Ben Franklin:

I guess all the Bible quotes on all the monuments and buildings don't mean a thing, right? (rhetorical question)

You might want to read a bit more...knowledge is power. America and Christianity Heritage Foundation

I never said we are not a christian nation, nor that we are one.

What my point is, is that among the founders, some were religious, and many were also deists and atheists. The role of religion in government policy was just as big of a debate in 1776 as it is in 2010. I tend to resent any argument, like the one in the OP, based on the "good old days" because nostalgia is usually used in place of knowing about history is all.

You might want to try reading my post again and this time, try to read it in context with what KK posted.

You might want to try reading my post again and this time, try to read it in context with what KK posted.

and ? My point was quite clear, and in correct context, both conversationally and literally.

I therefore have to conclude that you must have missed my last line of text, which I repeat once again for clarity's sake:

heck, save a few quotes, i think most of that stuff is from the old testement, which i'm told by alot of east texas christians is "outdated"

it seems we are a nation under god, the almighty creator......

not a nation under jesus.......we are a nation that recognizes the creator...not a nation that declares jesus as such....

people will disagree but f that....we are a land free of a particular religion...we are a free people...free to worship as we please, or as we dont please...diest, athiest, jews, muslims, christians(and all its different sects)....(edited to add) and them some others i didn't feel like writing down....or dont feel like mentioning...bahia's for example....newest and fastest growing religion worldwide....

personally i think if more people would go outside and read the bible of choice for them it would be better than sitting in a church and letting someone tell you what it says....

Edited by elia.jon1

There in NO freedom OF religion, if there is no freedom FROM religion. We are all free to worship our maker as we each perceive him, BUT no one has the right to tell another HOW he has to worship God. This is a Nation under God, Not a Cristian,Jewish or Rastafarian Country. The God we are under is inclusive NOT exclusive. THAT was the intent of the founding Fathers. It is what makes us the best of the best.

We are not a Theocracy, but rather free men who can worship our own gods as we see fit.

There in NO freedom OF religion, if there is no freedom FROM religion. We are all free to worship our maker as we each perceive him, BUT no one has the right to tell another HOW he has to worship God. This is a Nation under God, Not a Cristian,Jewish or Rastafarian Country. The God we are under is inclusive NOT exclusive. THAT was the intent of the founding Fathers. It is what makes us the best of the best.

We are not a Theocracy, but rather free men who can worship our own gods as we see fit.

fuck yeah, gob sums it up the best......